• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Epic Game Store]Why prototype00 is going to be a bit more shy with his Kickstarter £.

prototype00

Validated User
So as a bit of context, yet another crowdfunded game is to be a timed exclusive on the EGS.

This of course after the developers already mopped up all the contributions from fans and well wishers.

I’m sure the EGS boosters will be by shortly to tell me why I am being petty or how there isn’t any difference, but I side with the unhappy backers who will have to wait an as of yet unspecified period before they can play, together with them I say: This is a disingenuous crock of crap.

So game devs, if you want my Kickstarter dollar in the near future (and 50% of my gaming these days is something I backed on KS), answer me “is your game going to lock me out of my preferred platform for no other reason than greed?” Or I’m going to be quite a bit more leery about being generous.

Last edited:

Therion

Hi there!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’m sure the EGS boosters will be by shortly to tell me why I am being petty or how there isn’t any difference, but I side with the unhappy backers who will have to wait an as of yet unspecified period before they can play, together with them I say: This is a disingenuous crock of crap.
I'm not sure why they would.. many Kickstarters promise to deliver their product on a number of platforms their backers prefer. There is an argument to be made that if that wasn't the case here one can't blame to devs for going with an Epic Gamestore exclusive.. but a good Kickstarter-using dev would in my opinion at the very least consult their backers on what they think given the pros and cons. And even then I would personally be against it just because if you want to deliver the game to anyone first it should be to your backers and their preferred platforms as soon as possible. Except, perhaps, if the additional funding is vital for the product.

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd backed Outer Wilds and I'm a little bit narked about this to say the least.

They sent around a survey asking what delivery format you prefer - with the option to "wait for unannounced platforms".

prototype00

Validated User
I'd backed Outer Wilds and I'm a little bit narked about this to say the least.

They sent around a survey asking what delivery format you prefer - with the option to "wait for unannounced platforms".
Ah, someone with first hand experience. Just curious, did they say it would be released on Steam, in faqs or whatnot?

Sigrid Hex

Social Justice Valkyrie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Using kickstarter to fund your development and then get Epic to also fund your development seems super skeevy, unless this was disclosed up front. I guess now we have another item to add to the list of stuff that needs to be clarified before backing anything.

(Ignoring my feelings on exclusivity deals in general, plenty of kickstarters also seek funding elsewhere. That's fine as long as they are being open about it.)

Harlander

Almost determinedly non-useful
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ah, someone with first hand experience. Just curious, did they say it would be released on Steam, in faqs or whatnot?
I haven't looked into this in depth yet, to be honest. I can't remember the exact phrasing off the top of my head, but I do vaguely recall the implication that other distribution would be forthcoming.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
Never Kickstart unless you were prepared to burn the money.
That's a good rule of thumb, but in this specific case Kickstarter probably need to expand on their terms and include "distribution platforms to be used" in the Kickstart.
I see that in this case they also dropped Linux support. Both should be grounds for refunds.

Plumy Namesake

Social Justice Commoner
Validated User
That's a good rule of thumb, but in this specific case Kickstarter probably need to expand on their terms and include "distribution platforms to be used" in the Kickstart.
I see that in this case they also dropped Linux support. Both should be grounds for refunds.
Yeah, giving people a better head's up can only be good.

But still, being prepared that the game might just never come out, or be truly terrible, sets healthy expectations.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The possiblity of digital distributor exclusivity is definitely something that folks Kickstarting game development projects should address up-front. For example, I recently backed Prodeus, at least in part because the project's FAQ included "no exclusive deals with anyone", and I'll request a refund if they go back on that.

Top Bottom