• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Epic Game Store]Why prototype00 is going to be a bit more shy with his Kickstarter £.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
The problem is when they're inconsistent in consistent ways, so to speak. It's easier to get people to believe a groundless claim that a piece of media is sexualizing minors when it's about LGBT people, because we're already stereotyped as dangerous perverts.
Oh sure, I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was just saying that unless they have the guideline "sexualization of minors is allowed", which isn't happening, then a reviewer or internet hategroup is always going to be able to throw a wrench in the works by claiming that. It's at least easier to disprove, and I note the game is currently for sale on Steam.

pdboddy

Used Register
Validated User
If they do so, they only started to do it very recently. Jim Sterling used to do a series where he played bad Steam games (usually Unity Engine games), and many of them were really bad. And I'm not just talking about gameplay quality. Some would crash all the time. Many lifted assets from other games and obviously infringed copyright. He also read the descriptions for many games, and they frequently didn't match up.

Steam has no quality control beyond doing a virus scan. What that guy on Reddit wrote about is either an exception, or fabricated.
Emphasis on the phrase used to do. Jim Sterling is not one to let go easily once he has something in his jaws. So my guess is that the situation is better now than it used to be.

pdboddy

Used Register
Validated User
Oh sure, I wasn't disagreeing with that. I was just saying that unless they have the guideline "sexualization of minors is allowed", which isn't happening, then a reviewer or internet hategroup is always going to be able to throw a wrench in the works by claiming that. It's at least easier to disprove, and I note the game is currently for sale on Steam.
Yeah, that's one of those situations where you have to wonder, "Did Valve personnel actually play the game, or did they just give in to the hate mob because it's easier?"

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, that's one of those situations where you have to wonder, "Did Valve personnel actually play the game, or did they just give in to the hate mob because it's easier?"
My first thought was some reviewer thinking "I really don't want to play a yuri romance visual novel, so I'm going to pick the first reason I can to complain it's unsuitable and kick the can to someone else." I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who hate the idea enough to want to get it rejected out of spite but laziness/personal issues seems oh so much more likely to me.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Emphasis on the phrase used to do. Jim Sterling is not one to let go easily once he has something in his jaws. So my guess is that the situation is better now than it used to be.
My guess is that it's a combination of Greenlight being gone and Valve charging a flat $100 (?) for any game to be featured, which dampens the amount of lulz games cobbled together from Unity assets a bit.

pdboddy

Used Register
Validated User
My first thought was some reviewer thinking "I really don't want to play a yuri romance visual novel, so I'm going to pick the first reason I can to complain it's unsuitable and kick the can to someone else." I mean, I'm sure there are people out there who hate the idea enough to want to get it rejected out of spite but laziness/personal issues seems oh so much more likely to me.
Yeah, another "stop liking what I hate" sort of person who is willing to take a stand long enough to write out a complaint.

My guess is that it's a combination of Greenlight being gone and Valve charging a flat $100 (?) for any game to be featured, which dampens the amount of lulz games cobbled together from Unity assets a bit.
That is probably the biggest reason why.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
There's also that there's, frankly, bigger issues in the game industry that have come up to demand his time since. Last I heard he didn't think the problem was solved, just that there's more important fights to be fighting. He's only got so much time, after all.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Everything you’re suggesting here makes sense, Unshaven - but it’ll never happen unless the decision makers at Valve become convinced not doing it will hurt their profit margins.
Sure, but I bring it up not because it'll spontaneously happen, but because us accepting "it's not a solvable problem" means they and other big online corporations win by default.

Rikimaru

Ninja Comedian
Validated User
Sure, but I bring it up not because it'll spontaneously happen, but because us accepting "it's not a solvable problem" means they and other big online corporations win by default.
I get that. But I think the only way to get them to solve it is to show them not solving it means less profit than solving it. Which means doing the only thing big online corporations actually listen to - take your money elsewhere until they do solve the problem, and make sure they know why you’re doing it.

The hard part is that they probably won’t actually listen until the lost sales are significant and from what I’ve seen on Steam there are millions and millions of customers content to just keep on throwing money at Valve for trading cards and digital hats no matter how little interest Valve have in providing a good service. And since I can’t convince them to stop, I just try not to give Valve money. It helps that my bank has just written Steam off as an untrustworthy site so every time I did buy from them my credit card got frozen until I could reassure the bank there was no fraud. That got to be so much hassle doing it every time, so I just stopped buying stuff from them.

Ferrus Animus

Validated User
I don't really understand what you are trying to argue here. Right now, all content curation by Steam is subject to the biases of Valve's staff and its atrocious content filtering algorithm. Are you suggesting that things are fine as is, or are you objecting to any form of content curation out of principle?
My argument is that event hat easy, obvious solution you put there is not that easy. Given the example of LGBT. there are subgroups that don't accept the T and subgroups that don't accept the B. And those subgroups feature gender studies experts too. Valve replacing their american male white bias with the wrong expert (which they might not be able to identify, as they need such an expert) could as well. lead to less LGBT friendliness for the BT part.
And that's just an example.

Any curation or censorship as desired has the high risk of introducing additional biases and might be not even result in removing the existing ones.
Right now Valve has adopted a policy of "If it's not illegal, we shouldn't keep it out". This has resulted in some offensive games getting on Steam, and Valve has acted on them.
Now could there be a better system? Probably. But I for one can#t see a way that doesn't also come with significant downsides.
And to be so frank, I don't think you can either.

Right now if you are an indie dev, you either get a big publisher/epic money infusion, get on steam or your game wont sell.
That's the three options, with the first not being an option for most. Any curation gatekeeping would hurt some indie devs and has a high probability to hurt the ones producicing important games even more.

Now I'm not saying it's an unsolvable problem, but I don't think it's a problem that can be solves with just money/people.

In addition Valve has actually taken steps to fight stuff like asset flips and trashware, by replacing greenklight with direct, restricting the ability to add trading cards and generate free keys and more. And it has reduced some of that.
I do not know how strong the incentive is for Valve to do more and I wont tell you that Valve is slow as molasses in doing any improvements, but I don't agree with Valve being completely unmoving either.

Top Bottom