• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[ESO] One Tamriel is Live, no more faction restrictions

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
My goodness! Thanks for explaining the crafting basics, Kinghuge Kinghuge ! :)

But wow, crafting just sounds like ABSOLUTE HELL to me, my gosh, lol! (Maybe later I’ll feel better about it with some recipes and designs on hand. And I’ll have to find that mod.)

I’ll see if I can store materials into the bank for now, and then try to find vendors that have recipes and designs and materials for stuff like that. And I’ll be buying armor and weapons, if I can as well.

And that’s if I can find the shopkeepers, lol. I seem to have trouble finding some vendors or shops in some areas. I’ll have to take my time searching the bigger cities and check my map often to see if I can find these elusive vendors/shopkeepers, heh. :p

In Elder Scrolls Online, I’m just... sort of lost when it comes to some of these things. It’s a good thing I was already familiar with Elder Scrolls and action-rpgs and computer rpgs before I played this, lol. Man, I wish there were quest tutorials for the basics of all of this stuff. Skyrim sort of had one for blacksmithing, if I’m remembering correctly.

Edited to add: And in updated news, I upgraded and bought the Elsweyr (sp?) pack with Summerset, yay! :)

I’m level 12, and I got myself an Ultimate healing spell, so that’s progress. I’m doing more missions in Morrowind and then maybe trying a tiny bit of Summerset.

Last edited:

Beron the Grey

Disturbingly NEET-Like
Validated User
A couple of pointers, LatinaBunny LatinaBunny , before I get down to a more in-depth look at each crafting skill. (I'm assuming from what you've said that you're mostly playing in Vvardenfell at the moment?)

There's a cheap "house" (OK, small inn room) that you can get in Vivec City for only 3000gp called Saint Delyn Penthouse which is in Saint Delyn Canton. Incidentally, if you're looking for places on a city map, try mousing over the various icons on the map to see what services are available there. One advantage of having a house is that you can get storage containers to place in them (you'll get one free 30-capacity box as a level-up reward at level 18). There are a grand total of 4 30-capacity boxes and 4 60-capacity boxes (including the free one) that you can get, but unfortunately buying them requires either Crowns (i.e. real money) or writ vouchers (from Master Crafting Writs, see later). The Saint Delenn Penthouse can only hold one box, though. Larger houses can be bought, but the cost starts at 11 000gp for a larger inn room, going up to 3 800 000gp for manors like Hakkvild's High Hall.

Regarding Cyrodiil, there is some reason to visit even if you don't like PVP. When you first visit the Alliance Main Camp, you'll be able to pick up a quest to do training on siege weaponry. Doing this should net you enough Alliance Points to get you 2 skill points, and to unlock the Assault skill "Rapid Maneuver", which is really useful for getting around quicker. (There's an add-on that will automatically swap in Rapid Maneuver to your skill bar when you are mounted.)

About ESO Plus Membership: this gets you access to all current DLC, with the exception of the Elsweyr chapter. It does get you access to Summerset and jewellery crafting. Membership also gets you 1650 crowns per 30 days, as well as a few occasional freebies.

I can post a more detailed write-up of each crafting skill if you like, starting with Alchemy, but it won't be today. Hope the above helps.

Beron the Grey

Disturbingly NEET-Like
Validated User
In Elder Scrolls Online, I’m just... sort of lost when it comes to some of these things. It’s a good thing I was already familiar with Elder Scrolls and action-rpgs and computer rpgs before I played this, lol. Man, I wish there were quest tutorials for the basics of all of this stuff. Skyrim sort of had one for blacksmithing, if I’m remembering correctly.
Oh, before I go: if you go to the crafting area west of Vivec City (south of Vivec City wayshrine, and west of Vivec Temple wayshrine) you will find a couple of notice boards. Interacting with those will unlock a couple of quests to get certified in crafting. (One board is for equipment, and the other for consumables). The certification quests act as sort f a mini-tutorial in crafting, and afterwards you'll unlock daily crafting quests for each craft skill. (The exception is Jewellery crafting, where you get the certification quest by going to Alinor in Summerset). The daily crafting writs require you to craft a few items of the highest level you can craft, and reward you with some gold, crafting xp, and a box containing one or more of the following:

• A box containing various crafting supplies for that craft
  • Ornate items of equipment (ornate items sell for more gold than usual)
  • Intricate items of equipment (intricate items can be deconstructed for more resources and crafting xp than usual)
  • Recipes (for provisioning)
  • Survey Maps (maps pointing the way to a location containing 6 high-value resource nodes)
  • Master-crafting Writs (Only if you've maxed out that craft; I'll explain further in a future post)

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
Oh, before I go: if you go to the crafting area west of Vivec City (south of Vivec City wayshrine, and west of Vivec Temple wayshrine) you will find a couple of notice boards. Interacting with those will unlock a couple of quests to get certified in crafting. (One board is for equipment, and the other for consumables). The certification quests act as sort f a mini-tutorial in crafting, and afterwards you'll unlock daily crafting quests for each craft skill. (The exception is Jewellery crafting, where you get the certification quest by going to Alinor in Summerset). The daily crafting writs require you to craft a few items of the highest level you can craft, and reward you with some gold, crafting xp, and a box containing one or more of the following:

• A box containing various crafting supplies for that craft
  • Ornate items of equipment (ornate items sell for more gold than usual)
  • Intricate items of equipment (intricate items can be deconstructed for more resources and crafting xp than usual)
  • Recipes (for provisioning)
  • Survey Maps (maps pointing the way to a location containing 6 high-value resource nodes)
  • Master-crafting Writs (Only if you've maxed out that craft; I'll explain further in a future post)
Ooh! Thanks! :)

Ooh, ooh! Okay, I think I found one!

I'll try the one I found after I finish some other quests and have lunch, but thank you so much for pointing those out to me! :D Definitely going to look into these certification things. ^_^

Kinghuge

Miniature Giant Space Hamster
Validated User
Good luck with that Latinabunny, hit me up at ID @Castigatus if you want some more help or just someone to quest with.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
Playing through the thieves guild quest line. It certainly helps make these thieves more relatable that they’re stealing from slavers most of the time.

Beron the Grey

Disturbingly NEET-Like
Validated User
Right, Alchemy!

Of all the crafting skills, Alchemy is the one that's changed least since the original Morrowind (not that Morrowind had that many crafting skills; from memory, Skyrim was the first game where you could actually make weapons and armour). Many, if not all, of the Alchemy components will be familiar from the earlier games; the main difference is that components are now divided into Solvents and Reagents.

Reagents are the same as the alchemy components from earlier games; mostly plants like Bugloss or Blessed Thistle, but also including animal parts like Beetle Scuttle or Mudcrab Chitin. As in earlier games, each reagent has four traits, which can be discovered by making potions or poisons. As in Skyrim, you can discover the first trait (only) of a reagent by consuming it. You unlock an achievement each time you discover all four traits of a reagent, so looking at your list of locked achievements for alchemy can give you an idea of how many reagents you have yet to find. Traits are positive and negative forms, i.e. Restore Health/Ravage Health. Negative traits cancel out positive traits.

Solvents are new for ESO; they are divided into potion solvents (Natural Water, Cloud Mist, Lorkhan's Tears) and poison solvents (Grease, Tarblack, Alkahest). Potion solvents are found in water bottles or from spots of pure water in larger bodies of water. Poison solvents can be found from killing monsters. Solvents are divided into different types according to the level of potion they create; half the solvents you find will be your character level, and half will be the highest level of solvent you can use. You can craft potions or poisons that are too high level for that character to use.

Creating potions: you need to find an alchemy station (found in most cities). To make a potion, combine a solvent with two (or possibly three, see below) reagents with matching traits; the potion/poison will express a trait if at least two reagents share the same trait (and that trait is not cancelled out by the negative trait on a third reagent). The game will now (I thin, I'm not 100% sure) tell you if the combination you've chosen will be inert (i.e. no matching traits), which will save you some time when discovering traits. As in previous games, the best way to discover traits is to try combining everything.

Levelling Alchemy: The best way to increase your alchemy skill is to craft lots of potions or poisons. It is best to make sure you're always crafting the highest level potions possible, so make sure you've got enough skill points. You can potentially level up alchemy to level 50 in about 15 minutes this way. Learning traits also increases your alchemy skill, as does doing daily crafting writs, and there are several books that will increase alchemy by 1 the first time you read them.

Useful Passive Skills

Solvent Proficiency:
Allows the character to use higher-level solvents. The basic requirement for making useful potions.

Laboratory Use: I'd put this as the next priority to learn, as it allows you to make potions from 3 reagents, which can thus potentially have 3 useful traits, such as restoring Health, Stamina, and Magicka. (I am not aware of any existing combination of 3 reagents that makes a potion with 4 useful traits).

Keen Eye: Highlights plant reagents with a glow visible at an increasing distance depending on how ranks you buy. I would recommend putting 1 skill point into this as otherwise plant reagents can be difficult to make out from the background vegetation.

Chemistry: Increases the number of potions or poisons you create for each batch of ingredients. Very useful for making your alchemy supplies stretch further.

Medicinal Use: Increases duration of potion effects (so no effect on instant effects like health regain). I've never actually had any of my characters buy this, but it could be useful if you're using invisibility potions or the like a lot.

Snakeblood: Again I've never had any character buy this, as I never craft potions with negative effects. There might be some useful potions you can unlock this way, maybe?

Using Potions: You can use potions either directly from your inventory, or from your quickslot bar. All potions have a cooldown period of 45 seconds, which means after using one potion you can not use any other potion for that time. There is a jewellery enchantment that reduces potion cooldown time, and another that increases potion duration.

Using Poisons: There is a poison slot for each weapon you have loaded. Slotting a poison suppresses any enchantment on that weapon, and there is a flat 40% chance (I think) of applying the poison on any hit with that weapon (including weapon abilities). Poisons have no cooldown time.

I think that covers the basics, at least.

JediSoth

Semi-Professional Author/Publisher
Validated User
Playing through the thieves guild quest line. It certainly helps make these thieves more relatable that they’re stealing from slavers most of the time.
Which is one of the problems I have with the heists. It seems like I'm always stealing from deadric cultists or slavers, neither one of which I have any issues with just murdering the fuck out of... unless I'm acting in the name of the Thieves' Guild, apparently.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
Oh, my gosh, thanks so much on explaining all of the crafting stuff, Kinghuge Kinghuge and Beron the Grey Beron the Grey ! :D

And, Beron the Grey Beron the Grey , thank you so much for telling me about the certification and writ quests! I was doing some of the certification quests you mentioned around the Vivec areas, and they helped introduce the crafting with a really basic tutorial, which is sooo helpful! :giggle:

Now I’ll be re-reading the crafting info that you all gave me in this thread with more understanding.

Ah, now I feel better and I’m less overwhelmed by the crafting, yay! :D

The ESO community (including you guys here!) has been so helpful! :)

I really need to learn how to craft restoration staffs or figure out how to improve my current one in the future.

Right now, I am building a beginner Magicka Templar build based on advice on from the Alcazar HQ beginner builds guides, and I am just loving the Templar Class skills and the restoration staff.

I’m going to see if I need to improve the restoration staff or if I can find a way to craft a better one (and same for the Destruction staff).

I LOVE the restoration staff, so I’m going to work on building up its skill line and passives soon. This restoration staff really saved my bottom on a few bosses and I love it more than ever! :D

Based on the alcast guide build, it seems to be doing a mix of damage and healing for the Templar. I will probably add a tiny bit more restoration staff stuff to it to supplement the build’s already decent healing.

When it comes to roles, I’ll be aiming for Healer, but the build in the guide looks to be like combo of DPS + healer, so I’m kind of both. But I’m definitely aiming for more healing later on.

I volunteered to be healer for a casual group yesterday and it seems to be going ok . (I just need to cook and find more food items and keep learning alchemy for potions, so I can have resources to last longer.)

Good luck with that Latinabunny, hit me up at ID @Castigatus if you want some more help or just someone to quest with.
Sent a request yesterday. :) Hope it went through! (You already know what my username is if the request didn’t go through, lol. *points at username*)

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A few quick notes:

Alchemy's "Medicial Use" passive is arguably the most important crafting passive in the game, as it's the one crafting passive which has an impact on combat.

Even with potions which grant an immediate effect - like a Health potion which restores your Health - there is often a tag-along bonus as well which is related. So Health Potions will not only restore your Health, they'll also boost your Health recovery for a limited period of time.

By higher levels that Recovery effect can last for over 30 seconds...but the cool down on using a Potion is 45 seconds. So there's always a gap - unless you take Medicinal Use! With Medicinal Use you can have a 100% up time on buffs like Magicka Recovery, Spell Power, Spell Crit, and other similar buffs. That has enough of an impact that most builds will recommend leveling Alchemy to get full points in Medicinal Use even if you have no interest in ever crafting a potion for yourself.

The catch there is, you don't see those lengthy buff times until you're drinking higher level potions. At low levels you'll be starting with a much shorter duration, so racing Alchemy up to Max won't get you much.

This is good overall since at low levels you will be absolutely starved for Skill points if you try to level up all of the crafts (heck you can be pretty starved for skill points just leveling your regular skills early on).

It's generally better therefor to simply work on crafting as you go, leveling it up off the gear which drops which you don't need.

The only thing it's handy to get an early jump on is researching traits for Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothcraft, and Jewelry making.

Researching is very easy to do, but there's an in-game timer which controls how long each research task takes your character. It starts at 6 hours for the first trait you choose to learn for a particular piece of gear (ex: Learning "Sturdy" on a Heavy Helmet), and doubles with each addition trait, eventually taking more than a month of time per trait on that piece.

Each piece has it's own timer, so you could be spending a month learning "Divines" on a Heavy Helmet while learning how to make "Sturdy" on Heavy Feet is only going to take you 6 hours.

In addition to being able to craft pieces with those traits, your knowledge of Traits also controls whether or not you can make a piece with one of the available set bonuses.

For example: there's a set called "The Law of Julianos" which is one of the better crafted sets for Magicka based characters. To make pieces in it though, you need to know 6 traits for the piece you want to make. Any 6 traits are fine, just the fact that you know 6 traits for Helmets (for example), is enough to let you make a Law of Julianos Helmet at the Law of Julianos crafting station.

Ultimately, crafting in ESO is a lot simpler than it sounds, and unlike a TON of other MMOs, really useful. You can easily make yourself gear that's competitive with the best world and dungeon drops the whole time you're leveling. At end game there is some gear from Trials that you can't quite match, but it's still easier as a crafter to improve on gear you get than it is for a non-crafter, so even with trial gear, working on your skills still pays off.

Top Bottom