• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Esper Genesis] Storm King's Thunder

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
This thread follows this one: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?831791-Which-D-amp-D5e-campaign-book-would-be-best-converted-over-to-space-opera

I started reading Storm King's Thunder for my reskin to Esper Genesis. I want to retain an adventurous vibe like D&D without simply making "D&D in space" with space giants etc.

I borrowed heavily from Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space for ideas and stretched out the immediately preceding few years in the campaign, with the reference to the Tyranny of Dragons campaign, to something spanning thousands of years.

The Giants are replaced with an advanced racethat occupied this region of the galaxy many thousands of years prior to the other races arriving. There are many xenoarchaeology sites that hint at their existence, but they have only been the stuff of legend. Little is known about them, except that they had a strong caste based society based around forms of energy - Sound, Gravity, Thermal, Kinetic, Light, and Nuclear - which was granted to them a powerful Crucible at the centre of their society call Annam. Why the race disappeared is unknown.

The truth is that the race disappeared to avoid an even more advanced and ancient AI that was created to destroy civilizations after reaching a certain advanced technological state. This AI is the dragon analogue. In order to survive this threat, the race deployed its Crucible and developed a way of splitting the energy that powered its technology. This was reinforced by way of a caste based society. This effectively allowed the race to hide from the AI and the rest of the galaxy. However, this caste based system has begun to crumble (due to a remnant of the AI called Iymrith being disturbed by the xenoarchaelogy of the other races) seeing the race return to the galaxy in turmoil.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
The Kraken will be the last of an alien race that the giants had wiped. That would explain the desire for revenge and also provide a thematic clue to the need not to just wipe the giants out but restore order instead.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Chapter 1. Nightstone is a mining outpost set inside an obsidian asteroid and orbited by a space station. The asteroid is a part of a field that is the remnants of a planet. The original inhabitants of the planet were mostly wiped out by the cataclysm that destroyed their world, but a few survived in bunkers deep down in the planet’s core. These survivors degenerated over time but are known to appear and attack miners (these are goblins of the nearby caves).

The cataclysm was a nearby star going supernova. It also claimed an Eldori world (Ardeep forest) and formed a dangerous nebula nearby.

Recent events saw a cloud giant capital ship attack the mining outpost to retrieve part of the planet’s core (magical obsidian shard). Thought to be just a precious mineral, it was actually a machine crafted by the giants to terraform the world many aeons ago.

Last edited:

sagaston

Guy Who Makes Things
Validated User
I dig it. I'm (ocassionally) playing in a Storm King's Thunder game right now, and it's been fun. I think porting it to a sci fi game sounds pretty sweet.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I was originally looking at converting Tomb of Annihilation but I think SKT is a better fit because it’s an OK vanilla D&D campaign, so the space opera conversion has more room to shine.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Thinking of having the PCs sorium drive be damaged prior to the campaign start which is why they stop at Nightstone and travel with Zephyros to one of the next locations.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Zephyros’s three griffons are going to three drone starfighters with advanced AI. Given his eccentric nature, the AI has effectively replicated his personality (3 times) and this causes him to treat them like children and get into arguments with himself.

I like Zephyros quite a bit so may have him add a similar AI to the PCs ship when he repairs it. Effectively, making him an ongoing NPC.

In terms of the Dripping Caves, the bats on the ceiling will be a degraded power plant that ruptures easily from gunfire or other physical disruption from below. The mechanics can almost be identical but it should have an Aliens vibe. It also makes sense as the Caves are an ancient bunker that has run down over many years.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
Having received the Threat Database, the Veblasti seem like a good baseline for the Giants in a reskin of this campaign.

Top Bottom