• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Every Side of the Sky [Amber]

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Michakon — A University City in a equatorial Shadow

The post-war cohort of Pattern initiated cousins all received a strange Trump contact from Merlin. The conversation itself wasn't strange—it was just an invitation to visit Merlin at his postdoctoral style posting in a Shadow that's doing interesting things with Trumps and computers. But the initial contact didn't feel like a normal Trump attempt—instead of the mental pressure of another mind in close contact with one's own this Trump attempt felt like a swarm of bees buzzing about in one's head. Those who accept it felt a moment of dizziness before regular conversation with Merlin occurred. Those who denied it got a regular Trump follow-up from Merlin. In all cases he explained that he wanted to celebrate a breakthrough with family. "You and the other repaired Pattern initiates can appreciate what I'm doing, and are young enough to properly celebrate," was the essence of his invitation, along with how much subjective time for said cousin it would be before he contacted them to bring them through, assuming they didn't go somewhere with a different flow of time.

With uncharacteristic punctuality, Merlin makes regular Trump contact with each cousin to bring them through to his faculty housing suite—"if you're going to study in Shadow, do it where they treat academics right" according to Merlin. His suite—half of a floor in a tower overlooking a city of great antiquity sprouting new, sleek buildings stretching far above the older structures— is as haphazard as its owner. Every available surface of the room Merlin brings his cousins through into is covered in sketches or electronics in various states of construction. Some of the devices have sketches or what look like full Trump cards, complete with a Unicorn back, in them. The only table not covered in these things is clearly supposed to be a card table, but Merlin has heaped refreshments on it.

Merlin is currently sporting the sort of techie beard that seems endemic in Shadow during their pre-AI days of computing and wearing his prefered form: young, handsome, with dark hair and light green eyes. With all the cousins pulled through, he looks ready to lecture. "This," he says proudly, "is the screaming circle. A machine without a mind that can initiate and boost Trump contact across Shadow." The device in question looks like a small punch card computer, though given the scattering of portrait cards scattered around it clearly punch cards aren't what it operates on.

As he shows everyone the available drinks, drugs, and food, he also explains how throughout this shadow Trump artistry is common—though nobody native has suspected that other shadows exist and they probably can't push contact out into Shadow more broadly. However, they've combined Trumps and computers very effectively, and at Michakon are getting very close to mindless machines that can produce a Trump sketch. Or so Merlin believes. He's gotten somewhat sidetracked from that by managing to extend the local techniques across Shadow and testing to see how specific the conditions of Shadow are for their devices to work. "But now that that's all out of the way, I can get back to the main thing," he concludes with as he hands Bax a local drink that's essentially corn beer.

While his enthusiasm for his area of research seems inexhaustible, he rapidly becomes more interested in drinking, eating, and starting to use the available drugs—of which he has an impressive collection that he says everyone is welcome to, though he does warn against the tiny blue vials that he describes as study aids more than recreational. "Definitely for emergencies only," he adds. With that, and a promise of fetching anything else needed via the Logrus or order-in, he begins moving from conversation to conversation with his eight guests, and getting progressively more intoxicated. One might get the impression that he wanted people he could brag to and then deal with the consequences if he got really, really messed up to celebrate what he sees as a triumph; though he hasn't quite explained what it is that he actually wants to do with all the weird diagrams, sketches, and devices that he's not bothered to really put away.

Stormraven

Mystical Atheist
Validated User
Cara frowns at Merlin as he brings her through.
"If you'd given me some time, I could have come here on my own. I'm not really that far away, you know."

As the talk moves to Trump and such, she maintains a polite level of interest, but mysticism was never one of her interests. She eats without hesitation, and drinks beer like it's nothing, but stays away from the drugs and the harder spirits. She nods to Ryan as he appears - she strives ever to be on at least decent terms with the children of Uncle Corwin.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Trevian spares Merlin a quick grin as he appears, and waves briefly at each of the other cousins as they appear. He declines food or any beverage stronger than sparkling water, but does take a single sugar cube that's had something orange dripped on it, which soon has him up and pacing.

"So this Trump-boosting tech," he asks Merlin, "is this something anyone can use? Are you going to be making more of them? Also, I like that 'Michakon Go Bloo' hoodie, can you grab one in my size?"

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ambrose steps through and says: "Long time no seeing, cousin." Then, he politely nods in greeting to each cousin.

As Merlin describes the Shadow and its experiments with Trumps and machines, Ambrose listens attentivelly. He's intrigued by the concept, since he believed Trump operation required a sentient will. During a pause in Merlin's presentation, he asks that question.

Later, as people move on to the refreshments, Ambrose inspects the sketches and machines with acute interest. He even draws a small black notebook and a pencil from his tunic and annotates extensively using a strange script not related to Thari.

"What is your big project, Merlin? Or do you want us to guess?"

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
Nicholas comes through and greets his cousins with a smile and a wave. When Ambrose asks his question, Nick listens attentively, he might not be an expert on Trumps but that did seem like an important point to know.

For refreshments Nicholas avoids the stronger stuff and mostly concentrates on the food being served. Losing his wits never interested him especially after he learned to shadow walk, too much danger.

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Ryan greeted everyone with a loud "Sup?!" and a broad wave. He saved a particular smile for Cara. He knew exactly what could happen if they were on bad terms - their dads had demonstrated it. Thankfully they got along reasonably enough.

Throughout the discussion, Ryan seemed far more interested in the food, drinks and drugs, all three at once even. The deep scholarly business of magic was something he had long shown disinterest in. But he was paying attention. Call it intuition, but when his half-brother wanted to talk about a big project, Ryan knew he should listen.

The Watcher

Cosmic Observer
Validated User
When Adam arrives he already has a drink of some sort in one hand, a tall glass half full of some azure liquid that's possibly glowing slightly. "Perfect timing, Merlin! The Festival was just winding down!"

He gives a friendly wave to all his cousins. When he sees his brother he smiles and remarks, "Bax! Great to see you! Glad you actually managed to find some time off!"

As Merlin talks about his machine he listens with polite interest but he really perks up when he mentions they're getting close to making machines that can create Trump sketches.

"Wait, does that mean that one day there could be Trump cameras?" Adam asks as he finishes the last of his drink. "Because I definitely want one if they ever become a thing!"

When everyone starts digging into the refreshments Adam helps himself to a plate of finger foods and starts putting together an elaborate cocktail with the deftness of a master mixologist.

"Nice little party you've thrown," he comments to Merlin while putting the finishing touches on his drink. "So that first call you made to invite us, that was through the machine, right?"

Last edited:

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
"I wanted to make sure nobody got waylaid," Merlin says to Cara, he says it in a serious tone but quickly moves on and his mood moves fully into partying and hosting a party. And Merlin is a very accommodating host, happily fetching Trevian the hoodie. This in turn sets off a round of Midna testing the limits of his fetching.

With Ryan also pitting their legacy of renowned stamina against the chemical offerings, Merlin is well and deep into it as the cousins begin asking about the point of what he's doing. The initial answers are repeats of the mechanical description, "automatic Trump sketching", but when Adam mentions a Trump camera Merlin stops pestering Trevian to get him some of Fiona's blood and claps his hands. "That's exactly it, well almost exactly. More like a Trump telescope. For looking at every side of the sky. I want to see out there in non-Pattern-ward directions without using the Logrus as a lens."

A moment after he says that, he looks a bit shaken, and turns to his nearest cousin (Trevian) and says, "Uh, to make long distance images of places, to visit."

Ambrose, and others who have been examining the cards and sketches, notice that a great number of them are of either devices or locations. The devices seem to be other components of devices around the room, and resemble professional draft drawings and diagrams. The locations, however, show various landscape style flares, though all with the dramatic shading Merlin is fond of. All of the cousins, and particularly Nicholas, can feel an intense psychic pressure in the room if they still themselves for a moment. Merlin's workshop is somewhat of a powder keg that he's packed a powerful party on top of.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Where are you going to set up your observatory?" Trevian asks Merlin. "Not here, I hope, unless you want to spill the beans to the natives about there being other shadows than this." He raises one eyebrow.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"So, you want to create an all-powerful, creation-wide surveillance tool to 'make long distance images of places, to visit'..." Ambrose says, closing his notebook with a snap, before putting it and the pencil away inside his tunic.

"How touristy of you," he adds, raising an eyebrow. "I wonder what out elders will think of your little science project."

Top Bottom