• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC Every Side of the Sky [Amber]

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Fine," Trevian answers Nicholas' question. "Just…tired. In several ways."

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Merlin raises an eyebrow but just says, "Look, there's a reason that even though it isn't hard to get down to the Abzu that we don't on the other side. Well one beyond the fact that any large movement from a house would count as an act of war against Amber or something. It is a dangerous place and it is stressful to be here—and one wrong use of the Logrus and you may end up tethered to a leviathan with no clear way to disconnect."

Nuala clucks her tongue but just says, "Well, we aren't really in the Abzu anymore and soon we'll be in Shadow once more. And then maybe some answers."

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
When the inner doors open and the cousins step through it does feel as if they are properly in Shadow again. The heft of reality is similar—and the promise of good behaviour on the part of the local reality if Pattern is applied. There are, however, subtle differences beyond a set of doors they know lead out of Shadow and the massive apparatus that dominates the chamber they enter.

The first is the definite sense that at this moment, in this place, stepping into an adjacent shadow would be a long trip. There are no gaps in Shadow when one walks, but some transitions certain feel more drastic, and one away from this part of the realm would be such a trip.

"Rules keep changing," Midna mutters as she examines the old fashioned elevator opposite the entrance. She seems to be entirely ignoring the huge engine that draws the substance of the Abzu in and performs Unicorn knows what operation upon it as it sends out the vast arcs of power. Merlin seems entranced by the whole procedure, while Nuala is examining it all very carefully and periodically looking through the spyglass.

"Someone with more experience needs to confirm this for me," she says at last, "but I don't think the Pattern is influencing the substance being drawn up." She sounds confused and awed, and more than a little like she knows the implications of that if it were true.

Those Who Can Confirm
Spoiler: Show

The substance of the Abzu being drawn up into the machinery is indeed not being influenced by the Pattern, several mechanics of the device seem wholly divorced from the Pattern, and some are clearly not unlike the Logrus. Examining it is an experience not unlike attempting to pry at a Trump through the Pattern—but more so.

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
"How is that even possible?" Nicholas asks. "I always thought of Shadow as being the interplay between Logrus and Pattern." He muses for a moment before continuing "I wonder if we will find any natives and what they would be like. They might have an understanding of the machine."

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
"Shadow is an imposition of the Pattern," Merlin says, sounding very much like he's quoting someone. He sounds much more like himself when he continues, "And all primal realms have the potential for power, just none managed to match the Logrus until the Pattern. This realm should be cr—constrained by being in Shadow, if it were more intense I don't think it would be able to be a shadow. But, I also don't think anyone has shoved a new primal realm from the Abzu into Shadow before."

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Trevian grins. "I'm sure Mom will have a fun time with this when she gets to examine it, eh, Nuala?"

He's practically preening.

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
"Is that a good idea?" Ryan asked suddenly. "In fact, after we beat the Living Night, shouldn't we lock down this place so no one else can get in?"

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Do you think we can lock this place down so hard none of our aunts and uncles could get in?" Trevian asks.

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
Nicholas replies, "I am not sure that even obliterating the place would keep our elders from finding out. Besides they already have lots to squabble about so what is one more toy?"

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
"I was told in no uncertain terms that attempting to blow up a primal plane doesn't go well," Merlin says, sounding actually worried. "Suhuy in fact stressed this to me several times, unprompted."

Top Bottom