• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Ex] The Unconquered Sun

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A very simple question this one - I know the four symbols the Unconquered Sun holds correspond to the four virtues. Which one corresponds to Compassion? I assume it's not the Spear (Valour), but that still leaves the Horn, the Shield and the Olive (?) branch. I can't find this explained in any of my books, and searches of rpg.net are proving fruitless. In particular, I'd love to find a fairly recent thread where someone had partially statted up the UCS, including all his Intimacies etc. Sadly, my google-fu is weak, as are my thread-marking powers.

My PCs will shortly be attempting to persuade the Unconquered Sun to forgive the Bishop of the Chalcedony Thurible for his sins in life as the Heirophant, and I think giving them the item of Compassion will provide a suitable symbol of this*, which they can in turn present to the Bishop (and hopefully send him on his merry way). Thankfully, they've done enough awesome stuff (offing another Deathlord, cleansing Marama's Fell) to have His Shinyness not auto-perfect, merely leaving His MDV to be overcome ;).

Many thanks in advance!

* I also need to come up with some suitable effects for carriyng this item of ultimate Compassion, I'm thinking at the very least increasing the Compassion of everyone in the party while they carry it.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I've always gone with:

Speer = Valor
Shield = Temperance
Olive branch = Compassion
Horn = Conviction

The speer is obvious. Temperance protects you from outside influence. An olive branch is an offer of peace, which is the compassionate thing to do. The horn must be Conviction, because nothing else is left.

Aincumis

Shichibukai
Validated User
I'd say

Valor - Spear
Compassion - Olive Branch ("extending the olive branch")
Temperance - Shield
Conviction - Horn

Edit: Scooped by a minute

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks guys :).

Now I wish I could work out the symbolism of the horn for conviction...

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would guess that it has something to do with proclamations. Trumpeting your beliefs, type of thing.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Hmm. I'm also toying with having the olive branch in your possession does something regarding fighting - maybe you can't start any fights, maybe no fights can occur near you, maybe you can't kill anyone? Giving everyone in the party Compassion 5 for the duration would also be amusing, as would having the same effect on everyone within (blah) yards or something (especially when infiltrating the Hidden Tabernacle to present the branch to the Bishop).

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Maybe take a look at Games of Divinity Form.

Then again, sticking everyone with Compassion 5 would be pretty entertaining as well.

Penny D

inquiry and bloodlust
Validated User
I could swear the 2e core says somewhere that the shield is canonically Compassion and the olive branch is Temperance - I remember specifically because it hadn't been what I expected. I can't find the reference, though. Might have been in another book.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I could swear the 2e core says somewhere that the shield is canonically Compassion and the olive branch is Temperance - I remember specifically because it hadn't been what I expected. I can't find the reference, though. Might have been in another book.
Doing a text search for the word olive in my Exalted books isn't turning anything up, but I can see the logic for Compassion being a Shield as well. In fct, I may well go with this, as it fits in better with another idea I'd had about the Virtues.

My players, don't read this bit!
Spoiler: Show

My PCS are also attempting to seize the Imperial Manse, while they're at it. Rather than filling the place with gribbly monsters, they'll need to pass four tests, one corresponding to each virtue. Which players gets which test will depend on which of the four items they pick up when they first enter the manse. Having Compassion be the shield allows for the challenge of Compassion being defending a loved one, and having Temperance be the olive branch allows that test to be about making a treaty/keeping the sworn peace with your worst enemy. Valour/the Spear will obviously be facing down some terrible scary threat, and Conviction/the Horn will be about staying true to your cause no matter what the cost.

The actual tests will involve lots of Virtue rolls, against challenges calculated to be just about impossible without bonuses from succeeding at your virtue rolls. The final challenge would be that of willpower, and might involve the final push to actually seize the Hearthstone room, or something along those lines. Thankfully, they don't plan to actually activate the Sword, they just want to prevent anyone *else* from being able to activate it, especially as the Realm Civil War has just kicked off, and Solars are involved on at least one side.

Top Bottom