[Exalted 2e] Do raksha have a dice limit? Plus other Graceful Wicked Masques related questions!

Kajata

Forever King
Validated User
I appreciate that 2e Exalted might not be a topic on most people's minds nowadays, but I've been playing it a little recently and I've got some questions around the raksha and GWM that I could do with the meta-wisdom of internet RPG folk for.

Do the raksha have a set maximum dice-cap for dice added by charms? I’m struggling to find a hard-and-fast rule on it in Graceful Wicked Masques, which is hardly surprising. Each individual charm generally includes a limit, but I can’t see an overall “no combination of charms can add more than x”, apart from with respect to shaping dice pools.

If there isn't one, do people think that's an intentional omission, to make the raksha even more different to play than traditional Exalts, or is it just another GWM-ism? And if it's the latter, what would you suggest as an appropriate dice-cap for raksha? Essence? Essence + Ability? Essence + Related Grace?

As a corollary, do dice from oneiromancies and adjurations that simulate raksha charms count against that limit? For instance, if I use Elegant Muse Attitude as a charm to add dice, would you say an oneiromancy making use of the same charm would stack? If so, does it stack beyond the normal Essence dice limit for that charm (as it’s technically a bonus from an item)? What if it was a bonus from a different one of the set of merged charms?

Okay, I’m clearly way too deep into GWM-brain, but still, any advice would be great.

Rook S.

Capybara Anchor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do the raksha have a set maximum dice-cap for dice added by charms?
I know there's an answer, and it's near the front of the errata chapter covering GWM. I think it's their highest feeding Grace.

Kajata

Forever King
Validated User
You're absolutely right! What an idiot I am to have missed that! It's in the errata at the start of the Charms section. I swear I scoured that for the answer but I must have been in a GWM-trance.

Well that solves most of my post, but any insight regarding how grace magic stacks with that would be appreciated, if anyone knows anything on that front!

Jeremy Kopczynski

Validated User
In the Errata it states that they use Essence for non-shaping actions and Grace for Shaping actions as the relevant dice caps.

I would argue that bonuses from Adjurations, Mutations and Oneiromancy do count for the die limit. It is still a charm just being used in a strange way.

Rook S.

Capybara Anchor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would argue that bonuses from Adjurations, Mutations and Oneiromancy do count for the die limit. It is still a charm just being used in a strange way.
Whereas I would treat most kinds of dice bonuses from those sources as similar to an Accuracy bonus for a magic weapon.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Mutations don't count against Lunar caps, so I wouldn't count them for Raksha, despite both coming from a charm typically.

That said, yes, their caps are the relevant Grace for shaping actions (as detailed in their excellencies) and Essence for non-shaping (as detailed in the I-can't-believe-it's-not-an-excellency charms in the various Assumption trees).

Kajata

Forever King
Validated User
Thanks for the insight all! Very useful info!

One further question; I've seen mention, in books and online discussion, of Raksha being able to affect the flow of time in the Wyld, but I can't see any information about it anywhere. Is that just a reference to the way that shaping actions can last flexible amounts of time, basically just lasting as long as they need to to achieve their goal, or can Raksha actually using shaping actions to make time in the Wyld run faster/slower compared to Creation?

Lundgren

Validated User
I've never been able to really wrap my head around the mechanics for the Raksha, but fluff wise, a day in the Wyld can be weeks in Creation, and weeks in the Wyld can be just a day in Creation.

My take on it would be that it can be changed by shaping, but it affects the entire node (or such large part of the node) so the perceived time wouldn't be affected. So no "I need two hours to finish this, so I reshape time so it just takes ten minutes."

As Raksha being more or less living stories, if local time-warping is possible, it would probably more be used to make it more dramatic. If there is an approaching army that might defeat the attempt if they arrive in time, it most likely should take long enough for the army to get there but not being able to prepare enough for a certain outcome.

And, it is nice to see an Exalted 2e thread :)

Top Bottom