• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Exalted 2e, how much can an ethical Necromancer actually acomplish?

Eled the Worm Tamer

Spider Jeruselem's Warior
Validated User
Let us say for now that ethical amounts to: Shadowlands circle only, reanimation only of non-human remains, no use of powers that directly invoke oblivion or send things directly there, no enslaving of ghoasts, though bribery threats and barter are all fine. In all a firm philosophy that death and the dead should serve the living, and that Ghoasts shoudnt be made too comfortable lest they delay the return to reincarnation, but nor should they be a negected resorce, nor arbitaraly destroyed before that return to the great cycle. (I might bend on no human remains, but I rather like the visual destintion that it would offer set against Skullstone )

How usefull would necromancy still be? how deep into the utility of Necrotech could they go? are there any things left on the table that would be of particular value to a Lunar?

(I need some ideas before I commit to an NPC. )

Beyond Reality

Validated User
You could do a lot with ghosts. The ability to summon/banish/reshape ghosts alone is pretty significant. So you could easily recruit a large number of ghosts, enhance them with things like Black Candle Visage. You can move freely back and forth from the underworld with Door of the Dead, letting you bring more ghosts to creation with relative ease. So you could fairly easily raise a ghost army, animate some modestly impressive corpse-monsters and fight effectively against ghosts and minor undead.

Since several of the spells available are pure "carrot" (i.e. they provide pleasurable or enjoyable experiences for ghosts) and are not based on raw power or crushing a ghosts will, you could bribe potentially very strong ghosts to help you.

Biggest issue is competition. Since a more potent necromancer can do everything you can but better and nastier, it's easy for an alliance of bribed/threatened ghosts to break down in the face of high level necromancy.

Eled the Worm Tamer

Validated User
You know I clean forgot to look over ghostly powers, so thanks.

I have found a nasty trick though it takes some preparation. There's a simple necromantic spell that binds a hungry ghost into a bit of bone, released when it breaks. So stockpile bones use then as shrapnel in a first charge and not only does your target have an exploding incendeniary to handle but also the abrupt adition og a swarm of ravenous animalistic dead.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
If you make your base in a Shadowland, then ghosts are terrifically useful, but you're also much more vulnerable to hostile necromancers. Making and using Soulsteel seems like an atrocity in any value system. I think it depends a bit on how common Deathlords and their minions are.

In my personal dealings with Exalted, the Underworld setting and ghosts are a lot more interesting if Deathlords are a scary unseen presence rather than being the Exalted version of the Warsaw Pact armies, ready to launch an attack at any time.

zenten

Validated User
Would reanimating a corpse be OK if you got it's former inhabitant's permission?

Eled the Worm Tamer

Validated User
Would reanimating a corpse be OK if you got it's former inhabitant's permission?
Would be fine, though I don't see why it should be viable to manufacture eraz corpses out of bogwood and animal bones that would serve as well, I do need to give this lunar Necromancer NPC some clear distinction from skullstone to let my players have a clue after all.

LordofArcana

Validated User
Would be fine, though I don't see why it should be viable to manufacture eraz corpses out of bogwood and animal bones that would serve as well, I do need to give this lunar Necromancer NPC some clear distinction from skullstone to let my players have a clue after all.
Have you considered having the lunar emphasize history and tradition instead of industry (ie no necrotech)? They would also likely develop spells that serve to protect ghosts from those that would abuse them, albeit not terribly effectively against those that have access to higher levels of necromancy.

Let's say that the lunar's communities can almost guarantee that anyone that dies becomes a ghost. In exchange for not having soul steel, every corpse would have a ghost associated with it and they would likely be more effective possessing their old corpses than basic zombies would be.

Necrozius

Validated User
One could take inspiration from the book Necroscope, where the protagonist can communicate with spirits freely and allow them to "possess" him so that they can complete their unfinished works, resolve regrets in life and do favors for their (still-living) loved ones.

In exchange, the spirits offer aid to him, granting him access to incredible knowledge, wisdom, experience and skills.

It's a cool idea.

Top Bottom