• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Exalted] Any Solar Exalted fans still around?

Lord Raziere

Validated User
From what I've seen on other threads, I think it's just that some people find them a bit boring... generic shiny heroes, compared to the richer themes of the other Exalted... shapeshifting beasts, reality-warping martial artists, cyborgs, etc. As I recall, this view was particularly common among Infernals fans, who saw that part of the setting as a fun trans-humanist playground... by contrast, Solars represented a certain conservatism, looking backward to a past golden age even as they upset the current order.
I will be polite and not expound upon this. Again, History!

Suffice to say, I find anything that helps me make a Solar more strange or weird or more like another Exalt in my eyes quite interesting. I consider it a self-made challenge to figure out why a Solar would end up imitating another Exalt intentionally or unintentionally, how they would do that, and what tools to give them that best allows them to do this. Infernal-esque Solar is a bit easier to achieve than you might think-it involves being demon-blooded and being a huge sorcery nerd while fluffing all your spells to be malfeas-like, though some mutations would probably help. Abyssals and Dragon-Blooded just involve having the right material artifacts and the ability to fake their animas and being ghost-blooded for the Abyssal, Lunars involves being a beastman beforehand then uses Flawlessly Impenetrable Disguise to be in your "human" form, some moonsilver, though some Tiger Style helps. Sidereals are actually the hardest: you need to Supernal Lore to get future prediction, sorcery to summon elementals and some occult charms to follow up, flawlessly impenetrable disguise and then learn martial arts.

Alchemicals merely requires that you figure out a way to have metal skin and a gem on your forehead then take artifacts to match their color. how a person knows about robots or an Autochthon-like being to imitate one merely requires a strange obscure cult very interested in lost wonders. Sorcery that fluffs the spells in a mechanical manner helps.

the REAL hard part is figuring out the actual backstory that leads to these people existing. it takes some pre-ordaining and choosing the right environment.

R-90-2

Go green, friend an orc.
Validated User
Definitely a Solar fan here (though the Thousand Streams River in 2e also sold me on Lunars). These days, though, I prefer my own version of the setting to the official one ("I reject your canon and substitute my own!"), and the wonky mechanics of Ex3 have managed to unsell me on Storyteller in general.

Which leads me to the philosophical conundrum: if you've changed the setting of a game, and you're not using the original rules, are you still playing the same game?
That sounds like a question you should ask Theseus.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Definitely a Solar fan here (though the Thousand Streams River in 2e also sold me on Lunars). These days, though, I prefer my own version of the setting to the official one ("I reject your canon and substitute my own!"), and the wonky mechanics of Ex3 have managed to unsell me on Storyteller in general.

Which leads me to the philosophical conundrum: if you've changed the setting of a game, and you're not using the original rules, are you still playing the same game?
(Coughity coughicles)

Dunno, mate.

I’m playing in a game that is sorta 2e Exalted with the ending seriously rewritten and now it’s 13,000 years later in the modern World of Darkness. Fun times, but in many ways (as the snarky movie reviews sometimes say) Well Lit, Generally In Focus, and Characters Share the Names of Characters in the Story It Is Said to be Based On.

Mengtzu

Another Kill Team...
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Solars are still the only splat I really like playing. I enjoy running the others but make mine a Solar!

I'm not sure how much I'll actually be doing that though. I find their 3rd edition charmset tiresome (especially with the sunken cost fallacy forcing me to use the charm I paid for ^_^), but the underlying combat engine is so much better that I wouldn't want to go back to the earlier editions.

Ghosthead

Validated User
That's a poll creation choice; you can pick multi-option (approval voting) or just one. No ranked polls here, though.
Yeah, I get that it's an option and not a fixed, standard feature of polling on here, just saying it's just harder to interpret multiple choice "favorite" polls in terms of which single splat is X share of the audience's fave.

nexus

Validated User
It certainly did my nostalgia well to see so many familiar and new faces in this thread. Though its likely not the intent, for me Exalted has always been about Solars. I like them for "simplicity" what other may find boring or vanilla. Definitely my favorite part and the focus of my homebrew even if the cards didn't quite shake out like that in canon.

Dorchadas

一期一会
Validated User
They're my second-favorite, but they started out as my favorite and it was saturation (I ran a five-year-long Solar game) that pushed them back behind Dragon-Blooded, not any problems with their thematics or design. I'd still love to play in a Solar game even if I'll probably not run one again.

Top Bottom