[Exalted] Any Solar Exalted fans still around?

Andrew Sheeler

Crime Fighter
Validated User
Solars will always be my favorite. There are others I like, but when I run Exalted, they are always my default.

nexus

Validated User
My favorite castes Dawn and Night. I think that's might way Lunars always concerned me in mixed groups as they feel like the over laps those two function and ability wise.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
My favorite castes Dawn and Night. I think that's might way Lunars always concerned me in mixed groups as they feel like the over laps those two function and ability wise.
A strange concern to my way of thinking.

technically from what I've seen of the preview, Lunars overlap with Dawns, Nights AND Zeniths. they can do a lot of animal commanding, presence stuff and being inspiring beastly heroes.

To me, Sidereals overlap with Eclipses, Twilights and Nights. They have authority over spirits, do a lot of bureaucratic and larceny stuff, and as well as the martial arts thing giving them a single Dawn thing

given the DB's constant focus on war, they kind of overlap with the Dawn Caste the most.

Abyssals overlap with all Solars.

while Infernals overlap with the most sorcerous parts of Solars like Twilights- some orichalcum even have green patinas from being constantly used in sorcery and being referred to as a demon gold.

Alchemicals are a mix of Twilight, Zenith and Night. yet also a modular tech overlap of current Lunar generalist power.

the more you look, the more you realize that Solars overlap with a lot of things and a lot of things overlap with each other. its just that Solars do the overpowered shallow one punch man version of everything in a single charm that the people they overlap with do in many charms. I bet you there is going to be tons of Lunar berserker charms in stamina that add up to something deeper than Bloodthirsty Sword Dancer Spirit, even though if your really being efficient you'd just take the single solar charm to go berserk. just like how there is a lot of Lunar shapeshifting charms but solars have shallower but technically more powerful two disguise charms.

Solars are intended to go full one trick pony with all fifteen charms in a single ability then find themselves having to struggle outside that. this gives them the most variance and also teaches you how to play OTHER SPLATS. want a warm up for playing a Lunar? Go Supernal Larceny and take disguise charms. or supernal Resistance and BERSERK or whatever. Want to prepare to be a Sidereal mastermind? Supernal Socialize or Supernal Occult. things like that. because they're all other splats play styles in miniature. Liminals will probably have heavy Medicine and Resistance leanings for example, probably some Occult. Getimains well, we don't know what their playstyle is compared to Sidereals but if they're like them as know, then there must be some similarities, the question is what twist on the Occult/Martial Arts/Lore playstyle will we see? I don't think Getimains will have much Bureaucracy stuff compared to Sidereals and that is whats going to set them apart.

nexus

Validated User
A strange concern to my way of thinking.
I guess you've never had issues with niches the "I can do everything you can do (except better sometimes) and more on top of that and similar issues. They've been major pains in various games I've run over the years. And the increasing overlap and niche crowding contributes to some of my personal misgivings about Canonical Creation. The solution was fairly easy unlike other issues. Stick a single 'splat' games so the NPCs (methods, abilities, etc) backstory etc can be tailored to type in question. Its the mode that I enjoy the most for Exalted. "Mixed' games have been train wreck, IME though over all they seem quite popular among the fans in general.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
I guess you've never had issues with niches the "I can do everything you can do (except better sometimes) and more on top of that and similar issues. They've been major pains in various games I've run over the years. And the increasing overlap and niche crowding contributes to some of my personal misgivings about Canonical Creation. The solution was fairly easy unlike other issues. Stick a single 'splat' games so the NPCs (methods, abilities, etc) backstory etc can be tailored to type in question. Its the mode that I enjoy the most for Exalted. "Mixed' games have been train wreck, IME though over all they seem quite popular among the fans in general.
I wish I had your problem, mostly because I have the problem of not finding an Exalted game lasting enough to experience anything like that. if your concern is balance between the players and not them flaking out before things can really get going, your doing pretty well then. In my experience, people can feel unequal and useless even when they're both playing Solars and having two completely different niches.

Glamourweaver

Validated User
It certainly did my nostalgia well to see so many familiar and new faces in this thread. Though its likely not the intent, for me Exalted has always been about Solars. I like them for "simplicity" what other may find boring or vanilla. Definitely my favorite part and the focus of my homebrew even if the cards didn't quite shake out like that in canon.
For me it’s neither “simplicity” nor “boring/vanilla”. It’s individuality. Solars get comparatively the least amount of shared flavoring from their splat because they’re all about being excentuated as individuals. In each case their unique character bares through more strongly than characteristics arising from their splat - and I think that’s great.

Same reason I love Talents so much in Trinity Continuum.

Sly9

Validated User
I like Solars, but I think that I will always enjoy my Siddies the most. I'm really looking forward to Getimians.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
I like Solars, but I think that I will always enjoy my Siddies the most. I'm really looking forward to Getimians.
I am to. the information I've compiled on them is shaping up to be really interesting, because they have castes but there is no Sidereal parallelism, nor elemental parallelism caste-wise from what devs said, but they do have yin-yang themes, but more than two castes.

which is a bit sad because my take on Getimian caste would be: Lost Caste, Pleasure Caste, Pain Caste, Truth Caste and Chaos Caste, as they would be twists on the usual Sidereal castes in that that is what they would be without fate mysticism justifying them. Lost Castes are about pointing out that we're lost and there is no set journey for us so we're all free, Pleasure caste would be about breaking down the forced or intended serenity for what people are free to enjoy as they please, Pain Caste would be pointing out how Battles without meaning or purpose are just pain and suffering that needs to stop, Truth Caste are about opposing secrets by telling Creation the information it needs to hear and Chaos Caste is about pointing out the orderly death transition change philosophy is really just chaos that needs to stop for a better world to be made.

but whatever, I'm sure the devs have their own ideas, thought what they said doesn't rule out a Lunar-esque model of Getimian Castes where they have a Yang Caste, Taiji Caste, Yin caste and Casteless Wuji state, since yin and yang go back and forth like a pendulum much like how a moon goes back and forth between the phases of full moon and no moon.

Sly9

Validated User
IIRC, the devs hinted that there might be some "new" info coming out soon. I believe it was IRT Gets.

Top Bottom