[Exalted] Any Solar Exalted fans still around?

Ghosthead

Validated User
Exalts in general can reach similar levels of power in some areas, but Celestial Exalts can do it more consistently, with less effort, and in more total areas than Dragon-Blooded mostly. In exchange, Dragon-Blodoed often have capabilities which other Exalts likely can't do outright, even if those abilities are not necessarily greater "power" besides ability to do such things.

Solar Exalted show this with having the most straight-forward Excellency, broadest and often easiest access to most "splat independent" magics like Martial Arts, Evocations, and sorcery, as well as access to Supernal which allows them broader access to a certain depth of power earlier than other Exalts.

Lunar Exalted show this through strong raw stats due to Exaltation and shapeshifting, as well as a very flexible Excellency, but have less ability to specialize quite like a Solar can. They can equal Solars at the use of moonsilver artifacts, and practice of necromancy, but have to put in greater work to use Martial Arts, although can achieve laterally different power through them if investing. Shapeshifting and the themes of the Lunar Exaltation also just gives them avenues to either do things Solars outright can't (mainly in forms of shapeshifting and some exotic effects, or the nature of Attribute instead of Ability-driven magic), or to achieve Solar-like feats with some extra effort (usually through use of Protean Charms).
Slight tangent on this, Solars seem like they're inevitably going to end up with comparative advantages at results that you can only achieve through applying skills - like very specifically commanding an army on the battlefield is a lot less substitutable for magic that veers away from skills than simply winning a one-on-one fight, by any means necessary, and so on.

(I know that there's some negativity about this from some Solar fans who feel like whatever their Solar chooses to do, they should still have the same "gap" / superiority in results from other Exalted, but it does seem sort of inevitably a feature of how the Exalted have always been defined; that it's inevitable that the areas where skill / shapeshifting+attribute / elements / Fate can overlap less in their results are going to be areas where each splat will have a comparative advantage.)

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
Another thing to consider too is that being generally best at something doesn't entitle Solars to be so good at it no one else gets to shine. Martial Arts shows this in two ways for me.

Solars don't get to develop or teach Sidereal Martial Arts, we've been told so far. They don't auto-favorte or can learn it Merit-free either, like apparently Sidereals (and maybe) Getimians do. That said, they can Supernal Martial Arts (something non-Solar derived Exalted odn't get) and as a result, can master much more sooner than others. They have a stronger Excellency, greather mote pools, and good native Charms in things like Athletics and Dodge that synergize with them. Basically while there are areas that Sidereals are going to be outright better, this isn't in totality. They're both going to be most powerful at aspects of Martial Arts, but what thsoe are will result in different expressions. Sidereals have a greater breadth of power. When Solars perform the Martial Arts, they have potential for more depth.

Simialrly, the Immacualte Dragon styles shows this as well. They lack Mastery or Terrestrial. A Solar and a Dragon-Blood use the Charms pretty much identically, though they do have some Aura effects and specific bonuses that only Dragon-Blooded can use. This means that Solars aren't as good at the "totality" of these styles, but again get the advantages of their Excellency and native Charms, potential Supernal, bigger mote pools, and so on. And outside of the Immacualte styles, the Solar is going to be more competent with less effort. The Solar general assumed higher power doesn't extend so far as to have to press Dragon-Blooded down to prop them up, nor to give them extra beenies in one section of the general thing to just prop them up.

Note, in topic of this thread, Solars have always been my favorite Exalt to playa nd run games for and remains that. I just think that the world is more itneresting when the Solars feel like they have peers in the other Exalted, not window dressing, which I think that the shallower power curve helps in doing.

talam

Smile, smile!
Validated User
In as much as I interact with Exalted, Solar are #1 in my heart. I know some people consider them rather vanilla or boring, but vanilla ice cream is my favourite flavour and how I judge the quality of an ice cream store or brand. The flexibility found in 'being the best at a thing' means I can fine tune a character concept to being exactly what I want to play out mechanically, where as other splats I might have to jigger things around to work. To me, whether the splat is interesting to me is less important than whether or not my character is interesting to me and Solars let me achieve that way more easily.

Gaius of Xor

Validated User
In as much as I interact with Exalted, Solar are #1 in my heart. I know some people consider them rather vanilla or boring, but vanilla ice cream is my favourite flavour and how I judge the quality of an ice cream store or brand.
Probably worth bearing that in mind, too, yeah. "Vanilla" is often thrown around as a pejorative, but it's still one of the most popular flavors around (if not the most). Continuing down that road, I'm to understand that when many people talk about vanilla's flavor, they're actually thinking about vanillin, a synthetic compound that doesn't have quite the same flavor profile, but is used more often than true vanilla.

Vanillin seems to get a lot of flack for being brassy and superficial, lacking a certain depth and subtlety in taste the way vanilla does. I feel like there's room to draw an analogy there between some folks' conceptions/depictions of the Solar Exalted and the actual Solar Exalted. Not everyone's -- there's still no accounting for taste* -- but some.

* See: me, being well aware it's not the norm to throw at least a little curry powder into nearly everything savory one cooks, but damn if I'm not going to do it anyway.

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
Vanilla s a pejorative is an interesting bit, yeah. I have a friend once hwen we got milkshakes at a spot get outright mad at me for apparently wasting my choice on vanilla when there were a bunch of others availalbe. But well...vanilla is my favorite, so why wouldn't I get it?

nexus

Validated User
In as much as I interact with Exalted, Solar are #1 in my heart. I know some people consider them rather vanilla or boring, but vanilla ice cream is my favourite flavour and how I judge the quality of an ice cream store or brand. The flexibility found in 'being the best at a thing' means I can fine tune a character concept to being exactly what I want to play out mechanically, where as other splats I might have to jigger things around to work. To me, whether the splat is interesting to me is less important than whether or not my character is interesting to me and Solars let me achieve that way more easily.
This is allot how I feel about the group. I also like Shonen anime hero vibe they have (IMO) Surprisingly powerful for being so relatively young, but outnumbered, outgunned and inexperienced yet with boundless potential to rise above their foes. Or sink to depths far below them,,..

Ghosthead

Validated User
I can definitely see how you would relatively see them like that. For me, I think seeing them as the sort of young plucky heroes without institutional power is kind of tempered by having backing from a large faction of Sidereals, probably a narrow majority of the Lunars, a large fraction of the Celestial gods who pine for the good ol' days and the foremost among the gods, and a divinely mandated role as the rulers of the world. Their feel seems a bit more like "The returning authority" or "The reborn kings" (the latter which a lot of fans seem to love) rather than the plucky guys who come from nowhere to take down the institutional authority with no backing from powerful and entrenched elements.

Contrasting them with, like, the Godbound from that setting, where they really are new, and have no reputation or backing that precedes them, and it pretty much is all on them.

nexus

Validated User
The 'allies' the Solars have mostly seem to want to put them a on a leash to further their agenda and, in some case eliminate them once their done which still fits with the feel I get for them. As a "returning authority" (which appears to be the source of some of the hostility about them from the fanbase) their 'backing' is scattered, still pretty weak compared to more the institutionalized types (which is even reflected mechanically (more abilities, enhanced or was in earlier editions)I think the notion still fits. Having mysterious 'allies' that may not be all they seem or have your best interest at heart is an aspect of those types of stories as well (IMO).

Now to be fair one can play up the returning kings aspects for a campaign mood. Its definitely there as Fallen Heroes with Karmic debts to pay. I use those themes in my own games, they're just not my good tos but some of my players love them and create their characters along that mold, others lean more towards the Shonen heroes angle. I like to think of it as part of flexibility in flavor and mood that some feel Solar Exalted don't posses.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I can definitely see how you would relatively see them like that. For me, I think seeing them as the sort of young plucky heroes without institutional power is kind of tempered by having backing from a large faction of Sidereals, probably a narrow majority of the Lunars, a large fraction of the Celestial gods who pine for the good ol' days and the foremost among the gods, and a divinely mandated role as the rulers of the world. Their feel seems a bit more like "The returning authority" or "The reborn kings" (the latter which a lot of fans seem to love) rather than the plucky guys who come from nowhere to take down the institutional authority with no backing from powerful and entrenched elements.
I think that a thing to emphasize is that, between the length of time in which the mythology has been distorted, the scope of the setting, and how pre-existing powers that might have wanted to exploit Solars for their own ends might have been caught off guard and still not have had the time to get some plans in order, there's enough room to slot in Solars as wild card elements without a pre-existing institution to define them who are throwing the status quo out of order, if that's what players want.

In addition to the stuff that you're talking about here. Possibly even both in the same group, and create a bit of tension.

nexus

Validated User
As far as power levels go, I guess there is no simple answer in this edition particularly since with addition of new Exalt types, Exigents especially, the Terrestrial label is broader than just Dragonblooded. Its obvious I guess that I prefer a stricter definition of power levels, its fits my idea of the setting better but its a preference not a necessity.

Top Bottom