• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted] aquatic peoples

Glamourweaver

Validated User
I want to see if I understand this correctly:

Any human with aquatic adaptations via Wyld-mutations is a Pelagrathrope.

Any human with often those same adaptations via descent from a Solar experiment is one of the "Sea Folk" (is that name right? I don't have my copy of CoCD: the Wyld with me)

When those mutations are so extreme the being can not be considered human (they can't Exalt), they are a Pelagial.

Is this all roughly correct?

Similarian

73rd mask of Nylarthotep
Validated User

Yes.

Any human with often those same adaptations via descent from a Solar experiment is one of the "Sea Folk" (is that name right? I don't have my copy of CoCD: the Wyld with me)
The Sea Folk are a specific set of experiments I believe, not a general blanket term, but that is otherwise correct.

When those mutations are so extreme the being can not be considered human (they can't Exalt), they are a Pelagial.
Incorrect as I understand it Pelagial refers to a specific species of manlike creatures who live deep below the waves. They're an entire ancient race, which claims (likely falsely is implied) to have been saved by gods in the primordial war by transformation to their current form. They're not wyld mutants, although they're built using mutations (as a mechanical way to create them).

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Pelagothrope rather than pelagrathrope, and it's not capitalized, but yes.

The people of the sea (again not capitalized) are a specific ethnicity created by a specific set of Old Realm Solar experiments. Theoretically there could be another race of First Age pelagothropes created by a different set of First Age Solar experiments, and those wouldn't be people of the sea.

No, the pelagials (again with the not capitalized) are a specific prehistoric race. Unlike pelagothropes or people of the sea, they're long past being a human ethnicity, cannot interbreed with human beings, cannot Exalt, and have a history and culture all their own. Unlike Mountain Folk or Dragon Kings, they started out human a long, long time ago, and therefore aren't a fully inhuman race. They're basically Exalted's merfolk, except half-manatee and horrible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom