[Exalted] Fair Folk Graces

Green

Validated User
OK, I really like the Fair Folk, and someday I would enjoy playing in or running a chronicle with it, but I have one nagging little question about the Graces. While I understand what they are, I'm having a little trouble comprehending whether Graces are objects as well as concepts. For instance, if I have a character with Cup 3, does this character have an item in her possession that is the physical manifestation of that Grace? If Graces are physical objects where do the raksha keep them? If they go into Creation, do they bring their Graces with them? How do they keep them safe when they do this?

Menchi

Validated User
Green said:
OK, I really like the Fair Folk, and someday I would enjoy playing in or running a chronicle with it, but I have one nagging little question about the Graces. While I understand what they are, I'm having a little trouble comprehending whether Graces are objects as well as concepts. For instance, if I have a character with Cup 3, does this character have an item in her possession that is the physical manifestation of that Grace? If Graces are physical objects where do the raksha keep them? If they go into Creation, do they bring their Graces with them? How do they keep them safe when they do this?
I could be wrong, but I was of the understanding that Raksha are their graces. They have to take them, because that is what they are - graces. It takes a little to get your head around, but they create new Raksha by building graces and giving them life, nobles having more powerful graces than commoners.

Anyone able to confirm that for me? I haven't fully grokked the book yet. :)

Conan

Vox Orbis

I've Always Been Here
Validated User
Green said:
Just speaking as another Exalted fan, as I understand it... the Graces are 'notional objects' that orbit each other within the Raksha's physical manifestation, which is only a glamour construct anyway. To enter Creation, they have to use the Assumption Charms to create a more durable physical presence.

The Graces remain unmanifest within the Raksha's body unless they're taken out; whereupon they become 'physical' in the same way the form of the Raksha herself is.

Graces can only be removed forcibly through charms or shaping combat, or via the will of the Raksha in question; for example, one of the Subarto's Graces acts as an anchor for the Opal Court's Freehold.

Holding one or more of a Raksha's Graces is a great way to bend them to your will, given that they're pieces of what serves a Raksha as a 'soul'.

Perhaps Rebecca Borgstrom or Nephipal will come by and offer their views!

cappadocius

Banned
Green said:
For instance, if I have a character with Cup 3, does this character have an item in her possession that is the physical manifestation of that Grace?
There is an item that is the physical manifestation of that Grace. They don't necessarily have the Grace in their possession, although this is the assumed default.
However, Graces can belong to Raksha X, but be in Raksha Y's possession.

If Graces are physical objects where do the raksha keep them?
Wherever they want. I'm fond of keeping my Heart Grace in the form of a needle, which is in an egg, which is in a duck, which is in a hare, which is in an iron chest, which is buried under a green oak tree, which is on the island of Bujan, in the ocean.

If they go into Creation, do they bring their Graces with them?
Yep. Well, unless they trust someone to babysit their Graces off in Rakshastan - which would be somewhat like leaving a fox in charge of the henhouse.

How do they keep them safe when they do this?
Same way a Solar Exalted keeps his Daiklaive and Hearthstones safe.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Green said:
How do they keep them safe when they do this?
Generally, you can assume that a raksha's Graces have plot immunity, in the same way that Artifacts bought with Backgrounds or experience points have plot immunity; as long as the owner doesn't do anything howlingly stupid with them, nothing will happen to them.

cappadocius

Banned
Brad Elliott said:
the Graces are 'notional objects' that orbit each other within the Raksha's physical manifestation, which is only a glamour construct anyway.
Graces are physical things - if you have a Grace, you have an artifact representing it.

Now, when you go "formless" in Rakshastan, your important possessions pretty much collapse into your waveform. Your graces are the "nodes" that help keep you as a coherent Raksha, and not a momentary eddy in the raw Chaos of the Wyld.

Janana

Retired User
It's also quite common for raksha to own and be attuned to the graces of other raksha. You could vex somebody's Staff Grace away from them, if they had it, for example. Or if you're a noble creating common servitors, create their Heart Graces and don't hand them over. Hey presto, loyal commoners.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Janana said:
It's also quite common for raksha to own and be attuned to the graces of other raksha.
Nitpick: you can't own another raksha's grace, insofar a "owner", in this context, is a technical term for "the raksha this grace forms a part of". You can be in possession another raksha's grace, and be attuned to another raksha's grace, but you don't "own" it in the strictest sense of the world.

cappadocius

Banned
Janana said:
You could vex somebody's Staff Grace away from them, if they had it, for example.
Yep, and then hand it over to someone completely unrelated to actually hold onto it for you.

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
The Raksha _is_ its Graces. However, there is a thing that is that specific Grace manifested. It can be in the same "theme" as the Grace itself, or different theme. It can be Elsewhere. It can be on the character. Someone else can be in possession of it.

There are three different parts to the Grace:
1) who it belongs to (whose Grace it is)
2) who owns it (in whose possesion it is)
3) who is attuned to it

This is clearly stated, though I don't remember exactly where so can't get you the quote. The above three don't even have to be the same person, though they could be.

Laz

Top Bottom