Exalted - faster homebrewed crafting rules.

Accelerator

Banned
Validated User
So I was looking at the crafting rules for 2e, and I realized that even the most basic of artifacts, artifact 1, requires you to wait at least a season to finish an artifact. And that's if you maxed out everything.

So the question is, are there any homebrew that makes the crafting faster? Without it being too broken?

Felix

RPGnet Member
Validated User
If the system that speeds up crafting is notably faster and reasonably common, I'd be concerned about the ramifications on the setting.

The PCs in Exalted are serious outliers. When a typical person in Creation sees a jade daiklave, their reaction will be "Here is a legendary blade that cleaves demons as easily as my dagger slices a leaf. It is a sword that makes gods wary of its power. I must respect its wielder." But for the average PC, when they see a jade daiklave, their reaction will be "Huh, the Dynasts are attacking again. It must be Tuesday."

For some math, a master DB craftsman (Attribute 5, Craft 5, Specialty +3) can roll 21 dice for making an artifact, for an average of 10.5 successes. RAW, that lets them create something like an Artifact Breastplate once a season; it would take them a year to equip a Circle. With really lucky rolls, they'd manage a 2-dot artifact (30 successes) every 6 months, though in reality it's going to be 9 months. Which means if a team of DBs wants matching artifact weapons it would take the master crafter three years, on average. It definitely means that if an invading army is about to show up in a few months, and you don't have enough artifact weapons to go around, some Exalt will be stuck fighting with mundane weapons. The craftsman's time is probably better spent elsewhere.

So an easy way to speed up the process would imply the Realm is a lot better equipped to face the Solars.

Now, if there's a Solar Charm that reduces the interval to months (maybe limited to 3-dot and below artifacts) I wouldn't see a major issue with it. You don't suddenly have a rash of legendary equipment flooding the market unless that's what your Twilight wants.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
So I was looking at the crafting rules for 2e, and I realized that even the most basic of artifacts, artifact 1, requires you to wait at least a season to finish an artifact. And that's if you maxed out everything.

So the question is, are there any homebrew that makes the crafting faster? Without it being too broken?
Charms do this already? There's artifacts that do it as well and specialized Manses etc

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
Now, if there's a Solar Charm that reduces the interval to months (maybe limited to 3-dot and below artifacts) I wouldn't see a major issue with it. You don't suddenly have a rash of legendary equipment flooding the market unless that's what your Twilight wants.

In 2e the base solar charm right there divides time of crafting by X5 so one season becomes something like every 2 weeks on your roll.

Top Bottom