• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Exalted hacks & heartbreakers?

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I have had a lot of success with Godbound. We made one page of tweaks to add a little more Exalted flavour but it worked like a dream.

Susanoo Orbatos

Social Justice Huckster
Validated User
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I have Godbound and have strongly considered it to the point of being dozens of pages into hacking Exalted content into it at one point. However I stalled out because I'm just not sure I really like OSR-based games that much. Like Words and Martial Strifes are basically exactly what I want from charm trees but the rest of conceits of OSR just don't do much for me so I've never pulled the plug and tried running Exalted via Godbound despite seeing people here and elsewhere do so with pretty good success.
honestly that seems to be where our Godbound issues hit, like the OSR chasis sort of strained the issue.

Kasharin Manichea

Doesn't really exist
Validated User
I've done exalted in PDQ and I thought it worked splendidly. Now I would probably just do godboud and be done with it.

Arbane the Terrible

11th-level Minion
Validated User
I'm pretty sure you can use Godbound's Words in another system without needing to change too much.

Hm... Godbound's powers + BRP = RuneBound?

Nerag

Cat Fragment
Validated User
I've always wanted to convert Exalted to Feng Shui but never had the time.

Derrick Kapchinsky

Validated User
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I have Godbound and have strongly considered it to the point of being dozens of pages into hacking Exalted content into it at one point. However I stalled out because I'm just not sure I really like OSR-based games that much. Like Words and Martial Strifes are basically exactly what I want from charm trees but the rest of conceits of OSR just don't do much for me so I've never pulled the plug and tried running Exalted via Godbound despite seeing people here and elsewhere do so with pretty good success.
For what it’s worth, I had bounced hard off of Godbound for this exact same reason. I’m not a D&D guy, and the OSR, in general, has very little appeal for me. But once I actually tried it, I found that most of my D&D-based objections were largely mitigated and the actual Godbound stuff (words, dominion, etc) was really smart and the game, as a whole, has been a ton of fun.

Last edited:

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's been a solid "simple Exalted" still using a d10-style system, though some at the bottom of the list may qualify. There have been versions that use other variant systems but are still plugging the character splats into modern day settings. However, you may be able to use Storypath, and Scion 2e specifically, in a similar fashion as Godbound. Even with Hero and Origin alone, there's a lot of material work with, and the Miracles system allows you to define new purviews based on whatever you want (Attributes, Abilities, Infernal Themes, what have you) fairly easily (though you may find upping Legend may be necessary to get that Exalted Oomph).
Tere's Holden Exalted vs WoD which an be easily used to run streight Exalted.
It uses WoD20 system (mostly V:TM20).

Sosthenes

Oiled Greek Wrestler
Validated User
I quite liked the setting when it came out, but wasn't ever a big fan of the whole "Fist of the North Star"-ness of it. Even the Avatar-avant-la-lettre Dragon-Blooded feel a bit too gimmicky to me. Way too many exception-based abilities, and apparently quite a lot of optimization strategies.

For a while I was looking at a Mortals game, but it's not like the rules system was all that great.

My latest plans involved a very toned down game using GURPS. You still played "Solars", but without any special powers, just slightly better than the average man (ie. more points to build with and with access to cinematic rules). The campaign would've been closer to Outlaws of the Water Margin than anime. I planned on having regular martial arts techniques with the same name as Charms, for some wink-wink-nudge-nudge flavor. *Maybe* with a more supernatural "apotheosis" ability at some stage of the campaign.
A bit disenchanted by GURPS at the moment, though, and there aren't that many other systems where I like building techniques etc.

GorgonDynamo

Validated User
For what it’s worth, I had bounced hard off of Godbound for this exact same reason. I’m not a D&D guy, and the OST, in general, has very little appeal for me. But once I actually tried it, I found that most of my D&D-based objections were largely mitigated and the actual Godbound stuff (words, dominion, etc) was really smart and the game, as a whole, has been a ton of fun.
That's fair. I wonder if it's because I am a D&D gal that some of the OSR conceits just bug me and also don't really feel right for emulating Exalted, at least in my mind. That's not to say that I don't think Godbound is great, it is a very well done OSR game and I think I'd probably enjoy playing it as-is as it's own thing but I'm not sure mechanically it's what I want to emulate Exalted. I may try it with a group at some point to see what my players think. Even if I'm not 100% in love with it, I don't think it'll make me and my players just give up like Exalted 3e did.

Last edited:

GorgonDynamo

Validated User
I've done exalted in PDQ and I thought it worked splendidly. Now I would probably just do godboud and be done with it.
I haven't done anything with PDQ in years which makes me sad as I love that system but just haven't ever found a group that really cared for it.

*glances longingly at their hardback copy of Swashbucklers of the 7 Skies* One day, precious... one day.

Top Bottom