• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted - Let's Read] Every Single Book

Paradisio

Retired User
Okay people, here's the deal, I'm running 2-4 (2nd edition) current games are possibly more in the future. I have 90% of the 2nd edition line and a few 1st edition books and have the means, resources and a FLGS who has most of the others.

So here's the deal, I want to get a good grasp on the setting and actually use some of the thousand or so (and growing dollars) I have sunk into the line. At this point I have read exactly 0 of the books to completion. I've never done one of these reading topics either, but I thought it might be interesting to try. I'm familiar with the rules already though, that being the only real part of any of the books I have read to any real completion and the intro chapter to the setting.

So, I need somewhere to start first. Obviously this will end up being a pretty long topic (and I can only imagine the flamewars that shall be spawned in due time). Should I start with the core 2nd edition book or what? You guys pick the order of the first few books, I'll tally them up and start tomorrow. :D I'd prefer an order that helps me out in my current games (a mix of solars/lunars/sidereals and an abyssals game) as well if you guys could keep that in mind).

king_kaboom

Benevolent Overlord
Validated User
I'd strongly suggest starting with the compass books then. While the manuals have lots of splat specific hooks and fun tid-bits buried in them, the compass books are practically nothing but fluff. What if any specific area will your stories focus on?

Glyptodont

此时此地
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't know if any particular order would be better than another, but for variety why not read the 2nd edition as follows:

1. Core Book

Then cycle through the following:

2. a Manual of Exalted Power
3. a Compass of Terrestrial Direction
4. a Compass of Celestial Direction
5. a Book of Sorcery
6. a Scroll of Esoteric Wisdom

Then repeat 2-6 with the rest of the books

Stick the Storyteller's Companion somewhere in there if you want use the Mandate of Heaven.

(un)reason

Making the Legend
Validated User
So here's the deal, I want to get a good grasp on the setting and actually use some of the thousand or so (and growing dollars) I have sunk into the line. At this point I have read exactly 0 of the books to completion. I've never done one of these reading topics either, but I thought it might be interesting to try. I'm familiar with the rules already though, that being the only real part of any of the books I have read to any real completion and the intro chapter to the setting.

So, I need somewhere to start first. Obviously this will end up being a pretty long topic (and I can only imagine the flamewars that shall be spawned in due time). Should I start with the core 2nd edition book or what? You guys pick the order of the first few books, I'll tally them up and start tomorrow. :D I'd prefer an order that helps me out in my current games (a mix of solars/lunars/sidereals and an abyssals game) as well if you guys could keep that in mind).
Hi :Waves: Oh, I am so adding you to the list if you can stick with this for any length of time. I'm one of those people who loved exalted and then got jaded by all the flamewars. Hopefully this'll remind me why I liked it in the first place.

Personally, I'd prefer it if you did it in Chronological order. The setting makes more sense when you see it being hinted at and built up over time than just having all the secrets dropped straight into your brain. But if you're actually running it, you may want to look at the PC splatbooks earlier.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
Core fluff (Intro chapter, Antagonists, other?)

DB fluff
Blessed Isle

Sidereals fluff
Yu-Shan
Gods and Elementals

Lunars fluff
Wyld

Abyssals fluff
Underworld
Ghosts and Demons (if you have it)

Scavenger Lands
West

White and Black Treatise fluff
Scroll of Monk fluff (first chapter) (I'd consider the Martial Ars World less important than the stuff on enlightened mortals)
Oadenol's Codex (bit of intro fluff, then thaumaturgy chapter)

re-read core fluff, with new context

I don't know that the exact order matters that much, apart from core being an overview of everything else, but I've grouped relevant books together. Can't fit in 1e books without knowing what they are. Games of Divinity on demons is a classic. 1e Abyssals has underworld stuff (grave goods economy) not in 2e unless it's in Ghosts and Demons. 1e Scavenger Sons gives an overview of the world you can't get in 2e, sort of like the core intro but more detailed. Ruins of Rathess gives you Dragon Kings, something in 1e gives you Mountain Folk.

Paradisio

Retired User
I'd strongly suggest starting with the compass books then. While the manuals have lots of splat specific hooks and fun tid-bits buried in them, the compass books are practically nothing but fluff. What if any specific area will your stories focus on?
Most of my campaigns seem to be in the east/scavenger lands regions.

Paradisio

Retired User
Hm, okay, well I'd like to get started. We have two for chronological, one for a grouping order, one for a cycle, and one for whatever fits my game most.

I think If I had to vote, I would probably pick chronological as well; although cycling through might be a good idea if I grow tired of a set order.

So, the first book is... Exalted Limited Edition... I'm not really sure what this is to be honest, I'm assuming it's the core book in a case with the gold edges. So I'm going to skip this one, since I'm assuming it was either a preview book or the same book as the core (Yay, first down, that was easy :)).

Okay, so the first real book is the 1st edition core book, quite the shocker. I picked it up today from my FLGS, hoping to grab the first edition books I don't have, and only got this one. So I may have to skip a couple at the beginning until I can order the missing ones.

What all would you guys like me to post my feeling about? Should I read the rules of the first edition stuff or stick to the fluff?

Top Bottom