• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted] Radiant: Another Light Hack

four willows

en faire tout un flan
Validated User
Well, it's about time I got my crap together and posted this, reflecting some thoughts that Charlequin, passengerpigeon, and I have about stuff we liked and didn't like about the system.

It's got an implementation of the 'crunchless Charms' thing we've been batting around, and a ton of instant-creativity resources in the sidebars to make your lives as players and STs easier.

Take a look.

Jezrael

Traveshamockery
Validated User
It was very interesting, a couple of things though.

1. Your Dragon-Blooded sheet says Lunar at the top.

2. You might want to throw in a sidebar with crunchless charm examples for folks either used to playing normal Exalted (are the charms supposed to be similarly focused as in Exalted or more broad?) and those who have little experience with Exalted and don't understand what a charm is exactly. especially since you're supposed to be picking quite a few of them.

Holden

RPGnet Member
Banned
Two bugs occur to me.

How does this game allow Solars to win a two-on-one fight with a pair of Dragon-Blooded? It looks like he'd get clobbered just about every time. Before someone says this isn't a problem, the big feature of the Dragon-Blooded is that they usually show up in groups. If they're of equal strength and in a group, that's... troublesome. The system seems very biased toward them.

Also, it appears that efforts to change Focus will almost always go to the guy attempting to move the Focus to his particular area of expertise, unless Willpower is spent to veto, which seems like it would nullify what I assume is the point of the mechanic (the ability to make an archer's bow irrelevant by moving the fight to point blank range, or a swordsman's skill irrelevant by grappling him), as things will just flip-flop between two combatants' areas of Focus every other round unless WP is burned like mad.

Last edited:

four willows

en faire tout un flan
Validated User
1. Your Dragon-Blooded sheet says Lunar at the top.
Thanks, fixed.

2. You might want to throw in a sidebar with crunchless charm examples...
Sure but where?

How does this game allow Solars to win a two-on-one fight with a pair of Dragon-Blooded?
I personally disregard the 1-on-2 scenario.

However, when you've got multiple Solars, since Solars usually act first, you're pretty much always guaranteed a situation where they put the DBs on the defensive by Focusing in a Solars-only Ability, and then whack them in the Essence with snares.

I dunno, maybe that's broken. I'm not even sure of a situation where I'd want to attack for HP damage.

Also note that DBs get severely inferior Stunt dice.

Also, it appears that efforts to change Focus will almost always go to the guy attempting to move the Focus to his particular area of expertise, unless Willpower is spent to veto, which seems like it would nullify what I assume is the point of the mechanic (the ability to make an archer's bow irrelevant by moving the fight to point blank range, or a swordsman's skill irrelevant by grappling him), as things will just flip-flop between two combatants' areas of Focus every other round unless WP is burned like mad.
This sounds like it might be true.

Debug idea: You have to roll more successes than the last reFocus (so yes if your opponent resists poorly you can do it with a crappy roll) in order to succeed. That gives the effect a little inertia without being too crunchy (read: taking up too many lines)

Last edited:

Holden

RPGnet Member
Banned
I like the inertia rule. That way fights may start off pretty chaotic and crazy, but they settle down pretty quickly as the participants become less and less able to shift Focus without use of heavy Charms (and soon, not even then).

Charlequin

Conflagrant punchinello
Amazing document design, btw. Where do you and Charlequin get this done?
Shreyas >>>> me by a good country mile on the document design. He put Radiant together in like an hour and even made the cover himself. All I ever did was rip off the Exalted book template and use some decent fonts. :p

(You should check out his game Mist-Robed Gate, which also has beautiful document design and also is extremely brilliant, hint hint.)

Top Bottom