• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted] Sell/Unsell on Exalted 3e

wheloc

He's trying real hard to be one of the good guys.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not really. Solars have Warriors, Priests, Scholars, Spies, and Diplomats.

Siddies are... strange... Abyssals mime Solars...
Fair enough.

I like the idea of mythic tricksters and witches. If this had been more clear during the kickstarter, I might have backed it.

Isator Levie

Validated User
On the other hand, I do find it frustrating that 3e Lunar have grown so far past the point of their mythic (or previous game-line) inspirations that it's a little hard for me to grok them myself, much less explain them to new players that are unfamiliar with Exalted lore.
I'm not really sure about deviation from mythology; in some respects I think it more closely captures divine wild man sources, and the metaphor of shapeshifter as social outsider.

For other games, it raises the question of what one wanted from Werewolf; core identity found in original folklore, or the spirit and environmental associations created wholecloth.

wheloc said:
What they mostly seem to be now is "a complex expression of ideas that the developers thought would be cool, loosely based on ideas that didn't work for 1e and 2e Lunars". Which (like I said) is cool, but it's hard to express in a pithy one-liner.
Shapeshifters, Attribute Exalted and former companions and guardians of Solars are all still perfectly accurate descriptions.

They're actually each stronger than ever: the Protean keyword folds shapeshifting into general uses of their power, each of the Attributes has a strong character that is meaningfully distinct from Abilities, and a number of Charms are stronger when used in cooperation with or "service" to one's Mate (in which I read it as perfectly cromulent to set a young Solar up as a figurehead so the Lunar can do their thing with more verve).

Still, divine apex predators is the summary that the game is currently using.

Doesn't every flavour of Exalted have a Caste for those things?
A Solar can be a trickster with the correct Abilities.

Being a trickster is suffused across all Lunar Attributes.

It's much like how a Solar can predict and create futures with Lore, and a Sidereal can do it by punching you (with an inherent bargain that the bad future won't happen if you take grievous wounds).

I like the idea of mythic tricksters and witches. If this had been more clear during the kickstarter, I might have backed it.
Did you not read the manuscript?

wheloc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah. And the thing about trickster gods is, can you think of even one who isn't a shapeshifter? :p
Being a "trickster" was always 1/3 of the Lunar Castes (and being a "witch" was always another 1/3), but that doesn't mean I felt I was a mythic trickster when I played a 1st edition Changing Moon Caste.

Did you not read the manuscript?
No, if it was released to non-backers then I missed it

(also I was lazy).

Isator Levie

Validated User
The First Edition Changing Moon Caste is dead. Direct all of your love and worship to the Third Edition Changing Moon Caste.

Whether you want to or not...

(Seriously, Appearance, Charisma and Manipulation are amazing, and the Changing Moon anima power is no slack either)

No, if it was released to non-backers then I missed it

(also I was lazy).
It wasn't, but being a backer only requires pledging a dollar, which one then has a whole month to decide if they want to commit to that payment.

That's definitely a thing that the people running these Onyx Path kickstarters have pointed out directly.

Why, it wouldn't have been a very good preview if people couldn't see it and decide that the product wasn't for them. I definitely know of one person who withdrew their pledge to What Fire Has Wrought as a result of the manuscript.

Sure, one didn't get the whole manuscript at once, but the first week had Appearance and Charisma Charms, and those would definitely be enough to see trickster elements distributed evenly.

wheloc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It wasn't, but being a backer only requires pledging a dollar, which one then has a whole month to decide if they want to commit to that payment.

That's definitely a thing that the people running these Onyx Path kickstarters have pointed out directly.

Why, it wouldn't have been a very good preview if people couldn't see it and decide that the product wasn't for them. I definitely know of one person who withdrew their pledge to What Fire Has Wrought as a result of the manuscript.

Sure, one didn't get the whole manuscript at once, but the first week had Appearance and Dexterity Charms, and those would definitely be enough to see trickster elements distributed evenly.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't always make rational decisions when it comes to Exalted :)

I've played a lot of Exalted (both 1st and 2nd edition), so I know it's technically playable, but the more I played them the more frustrated I got with the previous editions. I felt like I was fighting with the rules more than I was playing them, and each new edition or iteration would address many of my complaints, but they also introduced complexity that (I eventually discovered) introduced even more problems.

So I haven't really tried to play 3e, but... it's doesn't exactly look less complex than the previous ones; I'm pretty sure I will eventually have similar complaints. I backed the Solar and Dragon-Blooded books, and so I have some very attractive-looking books getting dusty on my shelves. My current group isn't interested in Exalted (except for one player, who loves the 2nd edition rules and has no desire to learn new ones), and so it would have been hard for me to justify a third expensive tome that I may never play, especialy given that Lunars were not a splat I was excited about.

So yeah I was lazy and didn't seek out the manuscript :p

gribble

Validated User
I backed the Solar and Dragon-Blooded books, and so I have some very attractive-looking books getting dusty on my shelves.
Wait, you have the DB book already? Has it been shipped? If so, I need to contact OP to see where my copy is...

gribble

Validated User
Wait, you have the DB book already? Has it been shipped? If so, I need to contact OP to see where my copy is...
Ok, no, just checked KS and not shipping until August <phew>.
So I guess you were referring to your digital bookshelf? I have plenty of games collecting dust on there too (including Exalted 3e)... :(

Morty

Validated User
When I read some discussions about 3E Lunars, I get the impression that people want some theoretical, idealized version of them that feels like their 1E/2E incarnation but is actually good. Which, to be blunt, was never going to happen.

Top Bottom