• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted] The hearthstone of the Imperial Manse

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Heart of the Realm is the only hearthstone from a manse rated N/A in Creation. We know it allows the bearer to control the Sword of Creation, but what other awesome powers does it grant the bearer?

The Sword was built as the ultimate weapon to defend Creation from the Wyld (the only threat to Creation that existed at the time, pre-Primordial War). I think it would also confer some extreme mental defence powers (to stop social engineering attempts to hijack the Sword), and probably some very strong anti-Shaping and anti-Wyld powers (perhaps similar to the Rank 5 earth hearthstone from Oadenol's Codex) to protect the wielder from ganking by the Fair Folk. Perhaps it also grants awareness of major invasions into Creation, so you get advanced warning of when/where you'll need to use the Sword. Alternatively, that type of sensor network could be built into the manse itself, but extra redundancy is always nice.

What does the Heart of the Realm do in your Creation though?

I mainly ask because my PCs will probably be getting their grubby mitts on this in tomorrow's game, and even Dreams of the First Age is annoyingly vague on what the stone does, beyond 'awesome stuffs' :).

That Old Tree

ಠ__ಠ
Validated User
The Sword was built as the ultimate weapon to defend Creation from the Wyld (the only threat to Creation that existed at the time, pre-Primordial War).
Actually, the Sword—the pillar of magical materials in the Omphalos—is noted as having been discovered and studied by Autochthon first, and turned to use as a weapon at the time of the Primordial War. It seems fairly plain that it was an odd phenomenon of the Primordial's Creation that it exists at all, and was not a method of defense against the Wyld. After all, that's the explicit purpose of the Unconquered Sun and Luna. After building both a perfect guardian and his hermaphrodite side-kick, why would you need a gun? After the Primordial War it was turned into the Sword we all know and love today.

As to the purpose and powers of the hearthstone, I've always considered it a one-dot hearthstone, all the power that could be making it awesome bound up in the Temple it comes from. It's one-dot power, however, should give a remote control over the lesser emergency systems of the Defense Grid. Minor acts of teleportation (troop transport all across the Isle), simultaneous communication with any settlement (giant holograms), and psychic control over the function of any visible war manse.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
The Sword was never intended to be a weapon. the axis mundi, the heart of the engine of Creation, wasn't designed for war. But that is its purpose now, and the world suffers for it.

The pillar was to be an eternal refinery, an automated factory whose sole product was Creation. It was to make sure that Creation would never lack Essence or shape as long as it existed, and to shape the land into the Primordial's playground. It influenced the minds of fearful mortals toward prayer, pacified the millions of gods who might otherwise suffer ennui and generally kept things tidy around the place so the Primordials wouldn't have to. No one made a conscious decision for it to be so, but the understanding of what the Primordials wanted shaped itself into being and became manifest, and their will was done. And so the functions of the sword remained a mystery even to Autochton, who had only made a part of it and could therefore only understand a fraction of it.

But the Exalted turned it to war, and that is now what it does. It makes sure that refineries never lack ore. It pumps Essence into areas of battle, inflames emotions and disrupts order. It is an engine whose sole product is war in Creation, now and forever.

...But I still don't know what the hearthstone does in my game, sorry. :p

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Actually, the Sword—the pillar of magical materials in the Omphalos—is noted as having been discovered and studied by Autochthon first, and turned to use as a weapon at the time of the Primordial War. It seems fairly plain that it was an odd phenomenon of the Primordial's Creation that it exists at all, and was not a method of defense against the Wyld. After all, that's the explicit purpose of the Unconquered Sun and Luna. After building both a perfect guardian and his hermaphrodite side-kick, why would you need a gun? After the Primordial War it was turned into the Sword we all know and love today.
The Sword was never intended to be a weapon. the axis mundi, the heart of the engine of Creation, wasn't designed for war. But that is its purpose now, and the world suffers for it.

The pillar was to be an eternal refinery, an automated factory whose sole product was Creation. It was to make sure that Creation would never lack Essence or shape as long as it existed, and to shape the land into the Primordial's playground. It influenced the minds of fearful mortals toward prayer, pacified the millions of gods who might otherwise suffer ennui and generally kept things tidy around the place so the Primordials wouldn't have to. No one made a conscious decision for it to be so, but the understanding of what the Primordials wanted shaped itself into being and became manifest, and their will was done. And so the functions of the sword remained a mystery even to Autochton, who had only made a part of it and could therefore only understand a fraction of it.

But the Exalted turned it to war, and that is now what it does. It makes sure that refineries never lack ore. It pumps Essence into areas of battle, inflames emotions and disrupts order. It is an engine whose sole product is war in Creation, now and forever.
I had completely missed the very good point you both raise here. I'll do my best to bring this up in the game, especially as the PCs don't actually plan to *use* the Sword, they just don't want anyone else to get it, now there's a civil war on in the Blessed Isle (including Celestial exalted).

As to the purpose and powers of the hearthstone, I've always considered it a one-dot hearthstone, all the power that could be making it awesome bound up in the Temple it comes from. It's one-dot power, however, should give a remote control over the lesser emergency systems of the Defense Grid. Minor acts of teleportation (troop transport all across the Isle), simultaneous communication with any settlement (giant holograms), and psychic control over the function of any visible war manse.
..But I still don't know what the hearthstone does in my game, sorry. :p
Cool suggestions here too. I see the hearthstone as Rank 5 myself, so I'm going to go with the following effects (though this might change before my game in 15 hours or so ;)):
* makes you immune to Shaping
* makes an area around you Creation, even in the Wyld
* all (non-Creatures of Darkness?) in that radius are also immune to shaping
* makes detecting you via Astrology very easy - you're linked to the omphalos of Creation, and your steps tread heavily in the Loom. However, the Loom cannot impel you at all
* lets you control the Sword while in the manse
* lets you activate any visible War Manse psychically
* lets you project your image/voice in the local area of the Isle (to do the whole Isle, you need to be in the Manse). Might just make this full access though.
* lets you know instantly if any Wyld creatures invade (the original part of?) Creation/the Blessed Isle? If the range on this is large, it's kinda useless in the Age of Sorrows ;)

Top Bottom