• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Alright, I'm not sure how to start this, since there are bits around it that are a little fraught, what with the writer being banned from here. So I'll ask that any discussion in this thread please try to stick to the specific topic, and not about anything else; I'm magnanimous enough to look at free stuff.

Holden Shearer, ex-Exalted dev, released a fanbook he'd been working on: Exalted vs. the World of Darkness, here. It's a free download, according to White Wolf's current rules for fanworks, and it's a simple revisiting of an idea that was kicked about when Shard of the Exalted Dream was being written. The game uses the 20th Anniversary versions of the World of Darkness rules, and honestly I think this has quite a bit to recommend it as a halfway point for people who think Exalted 3e is too complex, but don't want to go all the way to "FATE ON EVERYTHING!" or who dislike Godbound. (I'm fine with Exalted 3e, but I also allow it can be a bit much for some people I'd like to play with.) I also feel like some care has been taken to not make it "Exalts lolstomp everything"; the Exalted are certainly the biggest shakeup the World of Darkness has seen in an age, and (I feel) much more appropriate than what was tried with Hunter: the Reckoning back in the day, but the world is lesser, even the Solars are not as limitless as they once were.

The basic setup is the sole form of Exalted that is native to the World of Darkness are a few fading families of Dragon-blooded; actual Exalted only number 500 or so with many more who carry thinned blood as their families. The default assumption is after the Week of Nightmares, the heads of those families get together and decide to go to a hidden vault where the Celestial Exaltations have been trapped since before history, break the glass, and hope the result prevents the end of the world. (Further metaplot is not given, and even this is optional. Exalted break the hell out of metaplots.)

I feel as though the rules do a good job of "Exalts as WoD splat" without either over-powering the Exalted, or underpowering the 'natives'. I'm not up on the ins and outs of every system to say for certain how much or little, but the main idea is Exalts can unleash public displays of power much more easily than most WoD characters, but they are fairly limited as to how much they can unleash (with a strictly limited amount of essence they can spend per turn). This is actually something I might have interest in running or playing sometime in the nearish future!

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is interesting, because I’m currently involved in a game (with some very baroque worldbuilding) of Exalted set in the WoD.

Our ST had to tread very delicately, since as written the Exalted would stomp all over the WoD.

There was a lot of tinkering and workdbuilding necessary. I don’t want to derail the thread with details here (although I might post about it elsewhere), but I would like to caution that without careful balance the whole thing can just explode.

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
Nice! I'll never run or play Ex2 or Ex3, because the systems are far too complex for me and everyone I game with, and Ex1 was right on the edge for us. However, this looks pretty good. I prefer nWoD 1st to WoD for rules, but that conversion is also pretty simple. We're vanishingly unlikely to ever use this for Exalts in the WoD or even the CoD, but for playing Exalted with a more reasonable rule set that isn't so simple that it drops most features of interest, this looks like it works really well.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
This is interesting, because I’m currently involved in a game (with some very baroque worldbuilding) of Exalted set in the WoD.

Our ST had to tread very delicately, since as written the Exalted would stomp all over the WoD.

There was a lot of tinkering and workdbuilding necessary. I don’t want to derail the thread with details here (although I might post about it elsewhere), but I would like to caution that without careful balance the whole thing can just explode.
I might note that "explode" is kind of the intended result, at least for the Celestial Exalted. Running with just the Dragon-blooded (who are a little more on par with other WoD splats, power-wise) is given as an option, though.

But one of the intended ways to play is "Solars and Lunars show up, kick the ass of all the things, then have to run and lie low for awhile because essence recovers much more slowly in this fallen world". Sidereals also show up, but everyone forgets about them.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I might note that "explode" is kind of the intended result, at least for the Celestial Exalted. Running with just the Dragon-blooded (who are a little more on par with other WoD splats, power-wise) is given as an option, though.

But one of the intended ways to play is "Solars and Lunars show up, kick the ass of all the things, then have to run and lie low for awhile because essence recovers much more slowly in this fallen world". Sidereals also show up, but everyone forgets about them.
Eh, actually I just posted the write-up I realized would derail this thread:
https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/exalted-and-the-wod-my-gm-made-it-work.839637/

It’s for a long-term ongoing campaign, so the ST worked hard to make it relatively stable and not explody.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
This is a pretty awesome book. Holden basically went full balls-to-the-wall crazy with this and it shows. An excellent resource for anybody who ever wanted to tapdance on Talley/Vykos/Hardestat/Voormas' stupid face.

Matsci

Magical Item like these are neat. I collect them.
Validated User
This is a pretty awesome book. Holden basically went full balls-to-the-wall crazy with this and it shows. An excellent resource for anybody who ever wanted to tapdance on Talley/Vykos/Hardestat/Voormas' stupid face.

The opening fiction tells you exactly how this holy hand grenade into a fallen world will go.

Elysium. All the best-dressed monsters in the city have gathered to see and be seen. There’s a commotion outside the doors, and conversations stall as immortals tilt their heads and listen. The door opens and an unconscious ghoul falls through it. A wave of alarm ripples through the room, followed by anger and hunger.

The figure in the doorway is human, you see. Mortal. Some of them can smell the sweat on his skin, hear his heart pounding in his chest. It’s just a kid, 18, 20 tops, skinny, with a wild mop of carroty hair, standing there backlit by a street light. He’s got a gym bag. The room’s silent enough to hear a pin drop, certainly quiet enough that everyone hears him swallow and unzip the bag. Half of them could be across the room in a heartbeat to end this, but eternity’s a long time and there are, eventually, so few surprises.

He pulls off his shirt, revealing nothing very impressive, and then brings two objects out of the gym bag. The first is the saddest, shittiest mall katana you could ever imagine. The second is a rubber horse-head mask, which he pulls on before stepping out into the gallery light.

The first vampire is just starting to laugh when the icon of a blazing sun erupts, shining gold through the rubber mask, and then the killing starts.

Top Bottom