• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

nexus

Validated User
From what I gather the mechanics presented in these books, while good for their intention, wouldn't hold up will to running a more traditional game?

jsnead

Social Justice Dragon
Validated User
From what I gather the mechanics presented in these books, while good for their intention, wouldn't hold up will to running a more traditional game?
Honestly, to me they look as good as 1st edition and better than the messy slog that was the 2nd edition rules. 3e is smoother and better, but also an order of magnitude more complex than these rules. Personally, I'd kitbash these rules into CoD (which is exceptionally easy) and I think the result would be a system that was more uneven than 3e, but also vastly easier to run - I'll make that trade.

stsword

Validated User
So am I the only one who wants to have the Vault break open during one of the historical eras for some alternate history goodness?

The werewolf the wild west for Deadlands like fun? Vampire the dark ages/Inquisition/Fae/Devil's Due for a more fantasy feel? Or how the appearance of the Exalts might have changed things for the Order of Reason and Traditions in Sorcerer's Crusade during the Renaissance?

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
So how useful is picking up WOD sorcery for an exalt? It seems to be a lot more flexible than the ancient spells presented.

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So am I the only one who wants to have the Vault break open during one of the historical eras for some alternate history goodness?
I was literally thinking about this today. Great minds and all that. :D

Here's a historical era I'd want to see: the time of the Second Generation.

Tchau!

stsword

Validated User
So how useful is picking up WOD sorcery for an exalt? It seems to be a lot more flexible than the ancient spells presented.
The WW wiki has a rundown on sorcery here, so you can see for yourself if the paths of sorcery are something that would interest you in an Exalted game.

Rallan

My Hat Of d02
Validated User
Depends on whether you're running a campaign that treats the spells in Exalted Vs WoD as the definitive be all and end all list or whether Exalted sorcerers will be able to discover additional spells. Sorcery in Exalted is ridiculously diverse and doesn't really follow any thematic constraints, so if there's more ancient sorcery waiting out there to be found in your campaign then you probably won't need to worry about WoD sorcery if you want a really varied magical toolkit.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's also the issue of power level. Ancient sorcery is big and unwieldy; some WoD sorcery paths are quick and efficient. (Others aren't.) Having the right mix is potentially very valuable, if you want magic to be your main tactic in and out of combat.

Cowmandan

Validated User
Someone ran the numbers, and it looks like you can do some *pretty* absurd things with Sorcery when its boosted by excellencies, achieving results that were just never, ever intended when the mechanics were put in place.

Which is pretty appropriate for Exalted.

I'll note that outright resurrection of the dead, which is something verboten in vanilla Exalted, is in fact possible with Excellency Boosted WoD Sorcery.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Someone ran the numbers, and it looks like you can do some *pretty* absurd things with Sorcery when its boosted by excellencies, achieving results that were just never, ever intended when the mechanics were put in place.

Which is pretty appropriate for Exalted.

I'll note that outright resurrection of the dead, which is something verboten in vanilla Exalted, is in fact possible with Excellency Boosted WoD Sorcery.
That actually doesn't bother me--it's a nice example of how the very metaphysical basis of creation has been warped over the centuries.

Top Bottom