• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
(Though to be fair, I wonder why exalts can't learn mage style magic, since "making the universe cry while you steal its lunch" is sort of an exalted thing to do. My assumption is that it's mainly to keep some semblence of balance).
The sim plest answer:
Exalted like all other sueprnaturals are awakened.
That means you can awaken your Avatar, because it already Awaken.
They can't Awaken same way a Vampire and or Fera can't Awaken.

You could :
a) Try to go Sam Heigh way and created an artifact that allows you to use True Magic (which is in bad taste).
b) Go tinkering in your or someone else's soul (which might work, but if it doesn;t the results wil at best be gilgul).

Edit:
Even simpler answer:
Exalted lack an Avatar.
The process of Exaltation frees the Avatar in Cycle, leaving the person alive (and teh Shard takes the palce of the Avatar).

Solution are still the same just that b includes stealing an Avatyar and grafting it on yourself or another Exalted.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Interesting enough, some friends have looked at this and are interested in using it for an exalted campaign, because both 2e and 3e were far too rules heavy for them.

LordofArcana

Validated User
(Though to be fair, I wonder why exalts can't learn mage style magic, since "making the universe cry while you steal its lunch" is sort of an exalted thing to do. My assumption is that it's mainly to keep some semblence of balance).
I'd go with "mages have admin access, exalts have hardware access". Exalts can do more powerful stuff but figuring out how to do it is more difficult.

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
So, it looks like some people online are trying to convert this hack to CoD as well!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JOSCN7cLNb6StceRX1yyG1oBR9ueAgYGGD3L5GaYI_I/edit
I figure Beasts meeting Infernals goes something like this:

ETA: because, y'know, each one of them is a unique monster, every Beast basically has a watered down* version of that whole world inside you 5 dot charm, every Infernal that makes it to Essence 2 gets the physical transformation that Beasts usually have to achieve Inheritance to get, several of the Urges and Hungers have similarities... it's a funhouse mirror.
*or not that watered down, if their Lair trait is high enough.

Last edited:

stsword

Validated User
HEre's a question-- I know the author didn't want to step too heavily on Exalted 3.00, but how would you put in Sorcerous workings? (To be honest, I find ancient sorcery... underwhelming compared to mages and even some sorcerers (though of coures you can always learn that as an exalt), so I was thinking that workings might be a place where a magic specced exalt would shine.
Honestly, I wouldn't, I'd make something new that would actually work in ExWoD.

Sorcery depends on free floating essence in the environment, that's the premise in Exalted 3rd edition. Free floating essence that doesn't exist in the ExWoD.

Ancient Sorcery would have depended on converting the old rituals that didn't work any more into something that Exalts can power with their own essence

However, I could see creating something equivalent of sorcerous workings that depended on the more malleable nature of the spirit worlds, so something like I don't know, Spiritweaving, with different types for the different settings- The Necromancy that allows one to manipulate things in the underworld wouldn't change the Dreaming, or the Digital Web.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Well, I'm already playing with a two dot merit available only to Exalted that allow them to use static sorcery without fear of failure due to not playing with the accepted reality (for thsoe who don't have it, trying to use sorcery in obviously miraculous says--hellfiring someone in the middle of the street, poses a chance of failure when the universe says nope, though ou don't get smacked around by paradox. However, the exalted smack the universe around.).

I already have a few ideas for additions.

1. Traditional alchemicals. The demiurge gift is still out there, and Autocthoan has many processes more or less running autonomously. H"owever, instead of reincarnated champions, the process of creating a body, which can be done by individuals, channeling his power, can call a soul from the underworld purging it of many of its memories. The resulting alchemical is artificial, a robot, although it's charms are handled like the living alchemicals. However, these alchemicals can modify their bodies, using the aspects of hte lunars and infernals, albeit with a mechanical theme. There will be merits for larger bodies, and the ability to have several different forms, because what game doesn't need transformers. (and honestly, the whole "this is the secret world with humanity unknowing, is gonna sort of last about three weeks after the first infernals start rocking out demon shintai forms).

2. "Lost eggs." The breaking of the vault sent a burst of energy throughout the entire world, and here and htere dragontouched, perhaps long unaware of their heritage have been awakened. Pretty much an excuse to have a DB with the same "What the hell is going on" that the rest of the exalts have.

3.the Hunters do exist. While I can see Holden's point, hunters make very good foils or possible allies for the exalted, and slot nicely into the whole "enlightened mortal warriors ready to be led" concept, especially when one considers just how badly the exalted our outnumbered by the various bad guy factions.

Coyote's Own

Former ACME QA Tester.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I'm already playing with a two dot merit available only to Exalted that allow them to use static sorcery without fear of failure due to not playing with the accepted reality (for thsoe who don't have it, trying to use sorcery in obviously miraculous says--hellfiring someone in the middle of the street, poses a chance of failure when the universe says nope, though ou don't get smacked around by paradox. However, the exalted smack the universe around.).
Two dot or two points? (WoD had costing or giving freebie points, rather being scaled on dots like CofD and Ex3).

Chaos_Chain

Having recently come upon this ; I love it! Anyone know how to contact the person converting it to CofD? Because I have to wonder if they're treating Exalts as a side splat and can only still get up to 5 Essence Rating, or if they'll treat them as a major splat that can get up to 10.

I also don't see anything in the Exalted vs WoD book mentioning exalts getting attributes above 5, but it does note that for SOME purposes a 5 Essence Exalt is equal to a 4th gen vampires (Notably for dominate.)

Anyone know any answers to that?

Cowmandan

Validated User
Having recently come upon this ; I love it! Anyone know how to contact the person converting it to CofD? Because I have to wonder if they're treating Exalts as a side splat and can only still get up to 5 Essence Rating, or if they'll treat them as a major splat that can get up to 10.
I know the person doing the conversion goes by "The Piachu" and posts on the Exalted discord server here: https://discordapp.com/invite/2b336yn

You can probably PM them there.

I also don't see anything in the Exalted vs WoD book mentioning exalts getting attributes above 5, but it does note that for SOME purposes a 5 Essence Exalt is equal to a 4th gen vampires (Notably for dominate.)

Anyone know any answers to that?
Essence 5 and 5 dot caps are still a hard limit for Exalts. The idea is that there's not enough ambient Essence in the World of Darkness to support exceeding the 5 dot limit.

However, excellencies in this hack are scene-long and effectively allow an Exalt to toss out around 20 dice per round for the cost of 1 Essence and 1 Willpower for the entire scene. As far as I know, there is no canon NPC in WoD that ever has a dicepool bigger than 20, for anything, including one of the canon 4th Gen Vampires given stats. So effectively, Exalts don't really *need* to be Essence 6+ to do what they need to do.

Chaos_Chain

However, excellencies in this hack are scene-long and effectively allow an Exalt to toss out around 20 dice per round for the cost of 1 Essence and 1 Willpower for the entire scene. As far as I know, there is no canon NPC in WoD that ever has a dicepool bigger than 20, for anything, including one of the canon 4th Gen Vampires given stats. So effectively, Exalts don't really *need* to be Essence 6+ to do what they need to do.
... 4th gen vampire ; 9 str, 9 brawl, 9 potence. over 20 dice in the pool.

Other stuff you said ; tons of thanks! Makes sense enough for me, honestly and tons of thanks! I don't mind the 5 limit int heory, though in practice I do like just being innately superhumanly strong or beautiful.

Top Bottom