• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Heavy Arms

Validated User
The problem is the current guidelines require you to not charge or accept donations for material made under the Dark Pack rules.

How does Holden show than any new income on his Patreon from hosting this there doesn't count as accepting donations for the work? There's also a few other places Paradox/nWW could claim he's violating the Dark Pack rules (including the really stupid for fan works, "we get to arbitrarily decide how much WW IP you're allowed to use, and you have to suck it up if we say it's too much," since that's no guidance at all on what you can include).

It just seems... a really bad idea to leave yourself that open to getting sued over something like that.

Ghosthead

Validated User
Got to give him props for putting in the work and putting it out there.

Though I think after reading WoD is not such a good world to play an Exalt in - Exalted feels like it's all about the arrogance, vanity and ambition of great people, the greed of vast empires, feuds between totally admirable heroes that nonetheless push them to conflict and then death and destruction through forces outside their control. And other such thematically similar things - people basically.

But if you drop the Exalted into this world ruled by monsters on the eve of its destruction, it's kind of hard to seriously focus and sell on that over, well, having our high powered heroes just whale on the monsters and probably win. Especially that's the case for the Solars.

Of course, maybe that's the point for you! Just seems less than getting the best out of the Exalted.

It might be easier with a lot of ExaltedXWoD fine tuning... but that would be tons of work of course.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
This is pretty awesome and as I only play 1st Edition Exalted ( I've tried PC1st, 2nd and 3rd but they're not for me) this is a nice 'stealth' version of a '20th' Exalted for me. Awesome stuff.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not really, no. Other than the basic idea of "superpowered people in the WOD."
Hmm. Superheroes have turned up in the game I’m in. They’re recreated Terrestrial Exalts in teams of five grown by reincarnated Chejop Kejak, whose was a Technocracy mage before Exalting, as a way of demonizing / fighting the returned Exalted.

No PC liked or wanted the Terrestrials, but the Joybringer insisted we try to rehabilitate / co-opt them.

Rand Brittain

Go on until you're stopped.
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
The problem is the current guidelines require you to not charge or accept donations for material made under the Dark Pack rules.

How does Holden show than any new income on his Patreon from hosting this there doesn't count as accepting donations for the work? There's also a few other places Paradox/nWW could claim he's violating the Dark Pack rules (including the really stupid for fan works, "we get to arbitrarily decide how much WW IP you're allowed to use, and you have to suck it up if we say it's too much," since that's no guidance at all on what you can include).

It just seems... a really bad idea to leave yourself that open to getting sued over something like that.
Who's got the money to sue anybody over a fanbook somebody made in Publisher?

Anyway, it's not like other freelance writers don't bank on goodwill from their work on licensed IP to finance their Patreons. I don't see how anybody loses anything here.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Who's got the money to sue anybody over a fanbook somebody made in Publisher?
Cease and desist followed by small claims court doesn't cost that much.

I just hope this doesn't ruin things for non-monetized fan works.

Top Bottom