• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Heavy Arms

Validated User
Who's got the money to sue anybody over a fanbook somebody made in Publisher?
Paradox has the money. And there's the concept of defending your copyright or lessening your case in future suits that can make it worth the costs.

Anyway, it's not like other freelance writers don't bank on goodwill from their work on licensed IP to finance their Patreons. I don't see how anybody loses anything here.
There's a difference between using fan goodwill from your work as a freelancer to convince them to give your Patreon some money, and using Patroen to make money off of something you're not supposed to make money off of. What's the functional difference between putting this up on Patreon, or putting it up on DTRPG as a PWYW book?

Cowmandan

Validated User
There's a difference between using fan goodwill from your work as a freelancer to convince them to give your Patreon some money, and using Patroen to make money off of something you're not supposed to make money off of. What's the functional difference between putting this up on Patreon, or putting it up on DTRPG as a PWYW book?
Holden has not released the fan supplement for money, for one thing. It is available for free, and simply hosted on a website that also offers unrelated paid content. I was able to download it without donating to his Patreon either before or after this.

Lord Raziere

Banned
Validated User
My commentary:
From the Mummies and Lunars Section:
Plus, if you kill them and drink their blood, they can come back to life and you get to keep their form and then you can dress the same and pretend you’re the mummy’s twin and confuse people about who’s who!
Okay maybe scratch that last one.
Is that a motherbucking Keychain reference?

also, all the other Exalted stuff are like "wow you sure have your work cut for you, being the last hope to save the world when you have even less idea of how to use them than people in the Age of Sorrows." while Abyssals passages are like "so your like this undead supergoth rockstar in this world, to like, EVERYONE? go nuts and ride this apocalypse rollercoaster like a joy ride to oblivion." I guess its fitting. the line in the kindred of the east section about Abyssals being like chanbara villains and it being actually cool and not lame like that one time Ichiro tried it is just priceless. because now I can't the picture of abyssals strutting about cosplaying as various "edgelord" characters and people raving about it going "you don't understand, its like they make edgelord stuff actually awesome when they do it!" and everyone else just looks at them weirdly because edgelords are jokes these days.

everyone thinks Sidereals are Mages, even other Mages. yea that checks out. its not as if most people would be able to tell the difference.

Heavy Arms

Validated User
A lot, legally speaking.
Holden has not released the fan supplement for money, for one thing. It is available for free, and simply hosted on a website that also offers unrelated paid content. I was able to download it without donating to his Patreon either before or after this.
OK.

So, someone loves Exalted vs WoD. They decide the like it so much, to throw Holden some money on Patreon. They post on Twitter that they gave him money on Patreon specifically because they appreciate the work on Exalted vs. WoD.

How does not that put the whole project as in violation of the Dark Pack rules against accepting donations?

How does Holden linking to the pdf with a link that also asked you to join his Patreon avoid a claim that he's soliciting donations?

And most importantly:

If you were Holden, with his publicly stated financial situation, would you risk this at all if you could avoid it (since he could literally avoid it by hosting the file off his Patreon)?

Cowmandan

Validated User
OK.

So, someone loves Exalted vs WoD. They decide the like it so much, to throw Holden some money on Patreon. They post on Twitter that they gave him money on Patreon specifically because they appreciate the work on Exalted vs. WoD.
I'm not a legal expert, but I assume that's not on Holden. He's not gating more homebrew based on licensed content on his patreon. It might influence other people to buy his other works because they enjoyed his free content, but what he's selling is still not a licensed work. It's a bit like being influenced to purchase an original novel because you enjoyed an author's online fanfiction or something.

I mean, the alternative is that anyone who creates a commercial product should not be legally permitted to create free content based on a licensed property. But that's kind of absurd, nobody seems to be advocating for such restrictions.

How does not that put the whole project as in violation of the Dark Pack rules against accepting donations?
One thing is that the motivations for backing are difficult to prove. I can at least say that I didn't back his patreon just because I liked the thing. Either way, Holden's patreon is not a donation box. It is a paid service for other content unrelated to what he put online for free and is his sole intellectual property.

How does Holden linking to the pdf with a link that also asked you to join his Patreon avoid a claim that he's soliciting donations?

And most importantly:

If you were Holden, with his publicly stated financial situation, would you risk this at all if you could avoid it (since he could literally avoid it by hosting the file off his Patreon)?
It would have been, at least, less of a headache if he put the thing on mediafire or something instead and told everyone to go nuts. But I don't think it's a big enough deal to threaten legal action over.

There's plenty of far dodgier stuff on patreon that either flies under the radar or else is tolerated by the powers that be.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
Question: why do we care about the legal repercussions, real or imagined? That’s Holden’s problem.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not really, no. Other than the basic idea of "superpowered people in the WOD."
I said "similar premise", not "exact execution". "Superpowered people in the WOD" is a premise, like "family trying to survive in a postapocalyptic world", based on which you can get The Road or Bird Box.

Holden Shearer adapted Exalted, I was inspired by several sources, like Cainite mythology, Anne Rice's The Mummy, and even Exalted.

Tchau!

Top Bottom