• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Exalted] What do you want to see for Sidereals in 3rd ed?

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
This is curious to me. I found the extra skill dots to be a good way to represent a considerably increased focus on training as described in setting. What is the advantage of having the exact same starting setup as other splats?
Fundamentally? Parity aids ease of instruction. "You have 28 dots to freely distribute" is easier to explain than running through a massive chunk of "Here is what a Chosen of Serenity needs to look like, now try to balance your concept on top of it". But, like I said, it's a just a small, petty, thing I'm hoping they do.

Patkin

ougikawa
Validated User
Something of note I'm kind of interested is that the Sword probably is no longer coupled with the Martial Arts Ability broadly, and based on how I read the devs on going more to the 1e spread, I think might be linked with Integrity. I'm curious how basically the Sword as less kung fu and more "the executionor's blade" goes.
I've been thinking on this myself, particularly given some of the (questionable) decisions they made in 2e with abilities getting shifted around to account for a lack of Brawl and Endurance, or the addition of War. I've seen a number of the 3e hacks shift around the Banner and the Shield to represent War and Presence, respectively, and that's something I'd like to see canonized; but also a part of me wants to just do some refitting around the Chosen of Endings stuff.

Like a part of me really wants to just uproot the Haywain/Bureaucracy and the Sword/Integrity connections and switch them around. Like come on, the "pen is mightier than the..." idea is right there.

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
I've been thinking on this myself, particularly given some of the (questionable) decisions they made in 2e with abilities getting shifted around to account for a lack of Brawl and Endurance, or the addition of War. I've seen a number of the 3e hacks shift around the Banner and the Shield to represent War and Presence, respectively, and that's something I'd like to see canonized; but also a part of me wants to just do some refitting around the Chosen of Endings stuff.

Like a part of me really wants to just uproot the Haywain/Bureaucracy and the Sword/Integrity connections and switch them around. Like come on, the "pen is mightier than the..." idea is right there.
The devs have stated, as a note, the current running set of Abilities-per-Caste, even if the constellation-to-Ability hasn't been stated:
  • Journeys: Resistance, Ride, Sail, Survival, Thrown
  • Serenity: Craft, Dodge, Linguistics, Performance, Socialize
  • Battles: Archery, Brawl, Melee, Presence, War
  • Secrets: Larceny, Lore, Investigation, Occult, Stealth
  • Endings: Athletics, Awareness, Bureacracy, Integrity, Medicine
  • Everyone: Martial-Arts (independent of whether or not they favor Brawl)
Personally, I think while there is the pun to be had, the Sword as Integrity to me is more itneresting due to what I stated that it's an executioner's sword. And the Scripture of the Maiden in Waiting also kind of fits that: Keep to your goals until the end of time. The big thing to always remember a bit is that Sidereal Charms relate to their Abilities very thematically, and the Scripture often says the themes.

Last edited:

Robert Vance

Validated User
Part of the reason I'm keeping Integrity as the Sword is this quote from Jenna:

I am morally certain that somewhere in the House of Endings there is a garden, and in that garden a vine-covered statue, old and cracking, and that that statue is this: a nude of the Maiden of Endings, cast in marble, with her sword in her hand and held at her own neck. The writing at the statue's base, in the old dry fountain in which she stands, is in Old Realm script, and reads "Ever Vigilant." For this is that aspect of the Maiden of Endings that stands eternally ready to strike even herself down, should she stray beyond the acceptable boundaries of bias for a Maiden of Fate.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I'm inordinately fond of Endings Bureaucracy as connoting administrative competence and efficiency promoting complacence and lack of consideration for the administrator's inevitable death, so if I had any input of meaning or significance I wouldn't be able to endorse this. 🤓

Isator Levie

Validated User
Something that I recalled which is relevant to speculation about Astrology is that we're looking at an Edition where it's been given a bit of hype even before the Sidereals book, in the form of Solars and Lunars getting a Charm that specifically calls out that power as something that can inflict shaping effects that need to be defended against (and in a manner that still isn't absolute).

So I would certainly hope for something that can live up to that premise. I'm not against it having something like target number manipulation as part of its mechanical expression, but I would also not want that to basically be the only constituent of it; when shaping destiny is being presented in those terms, and alongside dramatic effects such as being turned to stone, it makes me think that it should have a more active quality to it. That would certainly be an interesting feather to put in the Sidereal cap.

Poisson Resistance

Validated User
The devs have stated, as a note, the current running set of Abilities-per-Caste, even if the constellation-to-Ability hasn't been stated:
  • Journeys: Resistance, Ride, Sail, Survival, Thrown
  • Serenity: Craft, Dodge, Linguistics, Performance, Socialize
  • Battles: Archery, Brawl, Melee, Resistance, War
  • Secrets: Larceny, Lore, Investigation, Occult, Stealth
  • Endings: Athletics, Awareness, Bureacracy, Integrity, Medicine
  • Everyone: Martial-Arts (independent of whether or not they favor Brawl)
Personally, I think while there is the pun to be had, the Sword as Integrity to me is more itneresting due to what I stated that it's an executioner's sword. And the Scripture of the Maiden in Waiting also kind of fits that: Keep to your goals until the end of time. The big thing to always remember a bit is that Sidereal Charms relate to their Abilities very thematically, and the Scripture often says the themes.
No Presence?

Top Bottom