• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.
  • Help Block Article 13. The EU is getting to ready to pass a directive widely known as "Article 13", which will flip copyright requirements on their head in the EU. Where before the law of the land has largely been 47 U.S.C. § 230, which does not hold sites like forums responsible for what their users upload, as long as they respond to take-down requests, now sites would have to proactively monitor and OK every single thing published to their site. There's a long lead-up to the disaster that's likely to follow: EU states would have to turn this directive into law, and even afterward smaller sites would have three years in which they didn't have to put out the millions of dollars required to design such filters. But the long-term result is that the EU is likely to be cut off from a lot of sites on the internet, because the requirements are frankly untenable. If you're in the EU and would like to protest, you can visit https://saveyourinternet.eu/act/. (The EU is also voting on a very problematic link-tax directive that has already failed spectacularly in Spain, for which see the EFF's discussion, and it's worth protesting too, but it's Article 13 that will permanently balkanize the internet into the EU and the rest of the world.)

[Exalted] Who's still playing it? Tell me about your game.

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ex3 intrigues me. But system mastery seems crucial. And running it? Gah! The antagonists seem overwhelming.

Am I wrong?
The game I'm running is on hiatus for a while due to my own failure at scheduling, but all I felt I ever really needed for an NPC was:
Their Dice pool for things they're good at
Their Dice pool for things they're not so good at
How their excellency works
two or three of their flashiest, coolest charms.

Since most of your oomph comes from excellencies in third ed, you're not even really selling them short.

I'm also playing a game right now set in the near north. My character is a James-Bond style Night Caste (Socialize Supernal). The party has pretty much reorganized our home kingdom so that our favored people are in charge and chased away the outside parties that were trying to mess with it (for the time being) so now we're exploring the nearest 1st age ruins.

R,
Me.

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User
Ex3 intrigues me. But system mastery seems crucial. And running it? Gah! The antagonists seem overwhelming.

Am I wrong?
EX3 definitely requires a degree of system mastery to run effectively. I would say it generally requires less system mastery than the large charm list indicates, because of how antagonists/NPCs are presented (the "Quick Character" system). Quick characters present pretty much all you need to use them in their writeup, in terms of the actual dice pools you'll need to roll when you're using them (as opposed to having their statistics presented and then you have to do the math). If you're building your own quick characters, or modifying the existing ones to adapt them for your game, the main thing to remember is that the numbers involved are basically a distillation of many factors that affect things, not just (Attribute + Ability). For example, the QC writeup of Raksi in the Lunars book gives her a dice pool of 4 for "Administration", despite the fact that she almost certainly has at least Intelligence 5, and probably at least a dot in Bureaucracy - the lower pool is intended to represent the fact that she's just not interested in the minutiae of running her domains, and folds things like situational penalties and such into it already.

SibKhatru

Validated User
Cool, thanks. I may get the core. What's a nice added book? I don't have preferences, and my players would be newbs... just looking at the stuff and have interest in making stuff really fun for them. LMK and thanks ahead of any input you have.

Isator Levie

Validated User
What's a nice added book?
For the moment, the selection isn't huge. You've got Arms of the Chosen for magical weapons, armour, miscellaneous items and warstriders, and the various entries for Adversaries of the Righteous and Hundred Devils Night Parade (pre-generated quick character antagonists and animals/magical beings respectively).

Also the Tomb of Dreams quick-start adventure.

The Dragon Blooded book isn't fully available yet, but it can be pre-ordered.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
The secret to running Exalted (or any crunchy system) and not wanting to die is to not even try to make NPCs play by the same rules as PCs. Most of the system is for players to enjoy and make meaningful decisions, and NPCs need just enough weight for PCs to interact with them in a way that doesn’t render the players’ decisions meaningless. Then it’s just a matter of what doodads the NPCs should have to make them fun for you to run, which might be a special withering or decisive attack or context-specific charm-type thing, or short list thereof.

In short, if the number seems right, don’t worry about how it would have been arrived at in PC terms. Don’t bother with any stats or resource management that isn’t actually going to matter from the PCs’ perspective or contribute to your own enjoyment.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
For the moment, the selection isn't huge. You've got Arms of the Chosen for magical weapons, armour, miscellaneous items and warstriders, and the various entries for Adversaries of the Righteous and Hundred Devils Night Parade (pre-generated quick character antagonists and animals/magical beings respectively).

Also the Tomb of Dreams quick-start adventure.

The Dragon Blooded book isn't fully available yet, but it can be pre-ordered.
Also the book of (mostly) backer-requested Solar Charms, right?

LCDR Seamonkey

Urban Monkey Warfare
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The secret to running Exalted (or any crunchy system) and not wanting to die is to not even try to make NPCs play by the same rules as PCs. Most of the system is for players to enjoy and make meaningful decisions, and NPCs need just enough weight for PCs to interact with them in a way that doesn’t render the players’ decisions meaningless. Then it’s just a matter of what doodads the NPCs should have to make them fun for you to run, which might be a special withering or decisive attack or context-specific charm-type thing, or short list thereof.

In short, if the number seems right, don’t worry about how it would have been arrived at in PC terms. Don’t bother with any stats or resource management that isn’t actually going to matter from the PCs’ perspective or contribute to your own enjoyment.
100% this. Having been on both sides of EX3 games run this way, it’s basically transparent to the players.

Top Bottom