• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Exalted: Why I like Lunars, DB's and Siddies more...

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
I finally figured it out--t hey're more limited than solars. You have to work a bit harder, even at higher levels of experience and you have to be clever. Solars, just have so many "i win" buttons that I find them kinda...vanilla. The other types all have to work to their strengths whereas it seems that the Solars simply have no weaknesses.
(note: Not a complaint about the game, since this is, after all, the entire point of Exalted and why everyone is plotzing now that the solars are back-- just my personal preference).

But here's a question-- what about an exalted where there were no solars? How would things have to be changed?

MuscaDomestica

Help Me!
Validated User
I think this is in the wrong forum...

The reason why I like Lunars more is due to the fact that I have a degree in Zoology, so I get dozens of ideas for weird characters like a Naked Mole Rat changing moon or stomatopod martial artists.

chiguayante

biggest sword of them all
But here's a question-- what about an exalted where there were no solars? How would things have to be changed?
Well, there was the time of the Shogunate. Admittedly, that is my favorite period of time in Exalted history, with the Golden Age of the Scarlet Empire right afterwards.

This is also why I love Dynast games, especially as part of the Wyld Hunt or at least coming across Solars to fight. You need your Sworn Brotherhood just to be able to take one or two Sun-touched Anathema down, and it's hard. Especially when they are seen as God-King heroes by the populace who are devoted cultists to the shining godling. It makes fighting the terrible cults more interesting because they are effectively worshiping an angel that will eventually go berserk and kill everyone, it's just that they are too gullible not to believe that.

Ahhhh, I love me some Exalted.

flashedarling

Validated User
I'll definately agree with these points. My personal best experience playing was as a Moonsilver Alchemical in a mixed party. I was a glass ninja who lacked all the scene-long and perfect defenses the rest of the party had. Not only that but using any charm save cloaking would cause me to drop my human disguise and reveal the horrible inhuman thing underneath. So I was very underpowered and had to mundanely manipulate almost everything and it was alot of fun.

In all my solar parties scruples usually go out the window pretty quickly as you can just bulldoze any problem with mindwiping essence. Wyld hunts aren't much discouragement to a Essence 3+ full circle. Which I think lead to a much more boring experience.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
In all my solar parties scruples usually go out the window pretty quickly as you can just bulldoze any problem with mindwiping essence. Wyld hunts aren't much discouragement to a Essence 3+ full circle. Which I think lead to a much more boring experience.
Well, at Essence 3-4, Wyld Hunts really shouldn't be much discouragement to a full Circle.

On the other hand, I really agree with your first point, about how Solar social magic (and combat) is so powerful that they can simply convert or kill most of their problems. This is one of the reasons I like the West so much, I think. The problems in the West aren't really cultural ones, or really ones of military might either. You could crush the Realmic Navy, the Lintha and Skullstone and the only thing that would happen is that an awful lot of people would starve and/or be devoured by petty gods and the Fair Folk.

This issue, one of repercussions and responsibility, tends to get ignored in casual discussion, but I really think it's an interesting subject to address. And, in a way, it's something that easier to address with Lunars, DB's, etc., if only because they aren't quite as good at steamrolling everything, which makes it harder to get distracted.

Albert

Validated User
The social-fu issues Solars have is an artifact of the crappy system. I'd prefer a system where, if you're not using Unnatural Mental Influence, beating the MDV means forcing the target to react, rather than to specifically agree with you(which, granted, is an option). The better your success, the stronger the reaction has to be.

-Albert

Iozz-Sothoth

Cruel Angel's Viva Voce
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This issue, one of repercussions and responsibility, tends to get ignored in casual discussion, but I really think it's an interesting subject to address. And, in a way, it's something that easier to address with Lunars, DB's, etc., if only because they aren't quite as good at steamrolling everything, which makes it harder to get distracted.
In fact, I'd argue that Lunar social-fu is probably better at building societies that are stable in the absence of their Exalted patron [1], simply because you have to think like a sociologist with fangs in order to apply it, and because it seems to encourage a bottom-up approach. Whereas Solar social-fu is more powerful and encourages engineering by top-down declaration, which means that the societies they create probably lack the stability of one engineered with an eye to the details of the situation on the ground.

[1] Which doesn't mean that it always is so. See whatserface in the Lunar MoEP for how not to socially engineer.

Top Bottom