Exalted with D6/other system?

Zoombaba

Breakin 2
Validated User
After about two to three weeks about hedging on it, I think I'm gonna finally pick up Exalted .... except ...

That system. I'm not exactly crazy about fistfuls of d10s. Add to it, some of my players have bad experiences with Storyteller.

I'm thinking I like rolling my tiny little Chessex d6's better. How much would change if I just said roll d6's, count 5 and 6 as a success, instead of the d10's? Is something horrible going to happen if I do that, not having the game? (I'm serious. I won't buy this game if I have to roll buckets of d10s. I don't find them easy to read at all.)

With that said, my other option, is converting it to another system. BESM? Anybody's thoughts?

Zoombaba

Turbo

Go Play Ninja Fox
Validated User
Playing Exalted with d6s would be doable without a great deal of modification, with some caveats:
1) The probability of rolling a sucess in Storyteller is 40%, closer to 50% when incorporating the 2 successes from rolling a 10. In a d6-based system where 5 and 6 count for a success, the probability of rolling a success with one die is 33%, vs the more than 40% likelyhood in Storyteller 2.0.
2) Rules for the modification of target numbers by Sidereal charms would have to be examined (The Sidereal Exalted have charms that lower the number on the die needed to count as a success. For d6, I would halve the potency of said charms.
Ex: A charm that allows a Sidereal to pay 1 mote to lower the number for success for Archery would cost 2 motes to do the same using d6s.

There are probably additional needed modifications that would come up, but those can be handled as you go.

Personally, I love fistfulls of d10s. Seems like the only games I play now that don't follow that method are GURPS and D&D

Good luck!

With the 10s-count-as-2-successes rule, the probability of success - statistically - is 50%.

I suppose you could use D6s without making too much of a change... but what would be changed? You'd be rolling fistfulls of dice, still, they'd just be regular solids instead of irregular ones. Frankly, the version of Storyteller Exalted uses is *really* good, I've learned from experience. If your group's bad experiences were with the WoD games, I'd highly suggest giving the new version a fair shot - it moves so much faster and more smoothly it's amazing.

Zoombaba

Breakin 2
Validated User
The Incredible Hatboy sayeth the word:
<i>
I suppose you could use D6s without making too much of a change... but what would be changed? You'd be rolling fistfulls of dice, still, they'd just be regular solids instead of irregular ones.
</i>

Easier for me to read. Plus, I've got waaay more d6s then 10s, and I tend to be the dice guy.

I'll definitely check it out. Just to let you know, I've gotten a taste for Storyteller revised from <i>Adventure!</i>. I don't know...d10s just seem like a real pain my ass to read.

If the rate is 50% on d10s now, though I'll just make my success numbers 4,5 & 6.

Thanks
Zoombaba

Well, it's not actually 50%. I mean, it is, but it isn't.

See, mortals don't get 2 successes on 10s, and the chances of getting *at least one* success for *any* character are only 40%. The statistical average number of successes gained is, however, 0.5, since 1-6 give nothing, 7-9 give 1 each, and 10 gives 2.

As for their being a pain to read: Well, I suppose that's purely a personal thing, but at this point I see 7s, 8s, 9s, and 0s and my brain instantly translates those into successes. It's probably just a matter of using the system more.

eXyse

Validated User
If using d6 instead of d10, make 5's count as 1 success and 6's count as 2 successes (for Exalted only of course - for mortals, 6's count as 1 success).

This means that, for an Exalted, each d6 rolls an average of 0.5 successes, just like when using d10's. Mortals are cheated by .07 successes per die (down from .4 successes/die to .33 successes/die.)

Like others have said, the Sidereal charms will have to be examined, as will the botching rules (I haven't run the numbers, but I think you'll end up with more botches using sixers than tens.)

My own opinion? I like sixers more than tens as well. Do as I say above, don't worry about the Sidereal charms, and remove the botching rule (stupid rule anyway.)

I don't think doing this will change the feel of the system very much. In fact, if I ever run Exalted, I might do just as I say here... ^_^

N

NPC Anonymous Coward

Put little stickers on the sides of your dice - black for 1-6, green for 7-9, red for 10. Then you don't have to read them at all.

eXyse

Validated User
NPC AC - you'll also need to mark one of the black sides with an X or something so you can tell when you botch.

Future Villain Band

Super Moderator
Validated User
Zoombaba said:
After about two to three weeks about hedging on it, I think I'm gonna finally pick up Exalted .... except ...

That system. I'm not exactly crazy about fistfuls of d10s. Add to it, some of my players have bad experiences with Storyteller.
They still might want to try this version--it's based on the Trinity Revised system, not standard Storyteller, so it runs smoothly and is easier to resolve. That's not going to get rid of your fistful of d20 problems, though.

I'm thinking I like rolling my tiny little Chessex d6's better. How much would change if I just said roll d6's, count 5 and 6 as a success, instead of the d10's? Is something horrible going to happen if I do that, not having the game? (I'm serious. I won't buy this game if I have to roll buckets of d10s. I don't find them easy to read at all.)

The Exalted Quick-Start rules have a d6 resolution system--combining it with the full core rulebook should be fairly simple. The Quick-Start is in the Exalted section of their website, under downloads.

With that said, my other option, is converting it to another system. BESM? Anybody's thoughts?

If I /had/ to convert it, I'd go for BESM2. That said, I think the current system is perfect.

--Eric

Top Bottom