• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Expanse] [Literature] Tiamat's Wrath

Dave999

Validated User
So this is out now.

What do people think?

I admit I've been hoping to see the Laconians brought down a peg or do. They really came off as, "And now we've somehow entered Gundam with the fascist nobility vs. the plucky rebels. No mecha and old as hell heroes, though."

Bob Loblaw

Validated User
I quite liked it. Nothing more to add at the moment. I have to ask, what is the level of spoilers people are comfortable with in this thread? I don’t really want to read an entire thread where every post is behind spoiler blocks, but I also don’t want to spoil anything for anyone accidentally.

SteppenRazer

Validated User
I’m about halfway through, listening on audio book. Quite enjoying it so far, though it’s odd not to have Holden as a viewpoint character.

I’m getting more of a Stalinistic Authoritarian vibe than fascist from the Laconians, but they’re still right bastards.

Dave999

Validated User
I quite liked it. Nothing more to add at the moment. I have to ask, what is the level of spoilers people are comfortable with in this thread? I don’t really want to read an entire thread where every post is behind spoiler blocks, but I also don’t want to spoil anything for anyone accidentally.
I think it should be free to discuss it but I didn't want to be throw that biggie at the start.

Korhal_IV

Validated User
My copy was delivered to my parents' place, I'm melting down in anticipation. I might have to reread book 7 first.

Bob Loblaw

Validated User
Well, out of four posters, one hasn’t started and one hasn’t finished. I think that calls for spoiler blocks.

Naomi spoiler
Spoiler: Show
I think this is my favourite book for Naomi. I’ve always liked the character but think there have been a lot of times where she’s had less to do than the rest of the Roci crew. She spent most of two previous books as a prisoner of someone or another. Here she gets to be a spy, a spy master, and an admiral. These roles play to her analytical strengths. Overall pretty happy with Naomi. Others too, but calling this one out specifically.

Overall conflict spoiler.
I like that we now have some nicknames for the aliens.

I think I dislike the Romans more than the Goths. The Romans tried to prevent us from being born. Not even intentionally, they just didn’t care. The Goths didn’t do anything to us until we started messing with Roman tech. When they started talking about the puppy pissing on the rug, I thought that humanity was the puppy.

I also completely believe that Duarte & Co would make a mistake like sending a mail bomb to a technologically superior alien intelligence. Duarte says that he recognizes the threat, but he is saying that to manipulate the person he is talking to and the reader. The self proclaimed god emporer of mankind absolutely thinks he is playing on the same level as the aliens. Or, you know, he did.

The last few lines of the book do make me doubt my speculation. Amos gave the impression that the aliens are actively hostile. I think it would be cool if there was a diplomatic solution.

I wonder if the Goths are somehow related to dark matter. I don’t understand anything about dark matter, but I think there is supposed to be a lot of it and we have no way of detecting it.

Dave999

Validated User
I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens who destroyed the Romans did so because they were unwittingly damaging their dimension.

This is an Aquaman situation and they're thinking this is a Cthulhu or Skrull situation.

"Stop fucking with our environment and we'll leave you alone."

SteppenRazer

Validated User
Finished up today.

Now Amos really will be the last man standing, no matter what. When he was just ‘missing’ it was pretty clear he wasn’t dead, but it was still nice to hear the narrator switch to his Amos voice when ‘Timothy’ first showed up.

Then he did die, which was very shocking, much more so than Bobby or Clarissa. Amos was unkillabe in a way they weren’t. And now he’s immortal.

Crothian

Validated User
I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens who destroyed the Romans did so because they were unwittingly damaging their dimension.
This is what I've been thinking for the last couple of books specifically to the slow space were Medina Station is.

Top Bottom