• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Exploiting Dawn: The Tragic Tale of Min-Maximus the Vampire

Mailer

Validated User
40 NPCs with their own plots and schedules? For a one-shot? You, sir, are a genius or a madman. I live in fear of your three ring binders.
Not a one-shot. Plan was 2-4 sessions. I estimate the total playtime was probably about 6ish hours spread over three session. Still quite a lot of work for such a short experience, but not as hard as it sounds. I made a spread sheet to stat the NPCs, and the vast majority of them were based on a real-life celebrity, so it was easy to pop stats into each entry of the 40. A few of the characters would become "faction leaders" as things devolved to chaos, and I loosely grouped them that way--assuming that the faction leader is EVEN ALIVE when shit hits the fan.

Simpler than it sounds to prepare. The hardest part was "Choreographing" the End of the World Party, which had all the guests in different rooms at different times doing different things.

Mailer

Validated User
Kind of a side-thought, but here is a tip for becoming a great game master: Learn to type. Much of the reason I'm able to build such detailed, sandbox environments--a lot of the stuff the players may not ever even see--is because I can type at nearly 100 words per minute. I can sit at a computer and build a campaign world nearly at the speed of thought. Helps a LOT with prep time, and I don't break my train of thought trying to get it all on paper. The planning and the writing are all happening at the same time.

It's also how I'm able to produce so much writing here on the RPG net.

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
can type at nearly 100 words per minute
Heh. I'm lucky to manage 30 WPM. All the same typing is a blessing for me. I can still get things done faster than on paper, with less chance of spelling and word choice errors since I can easily read the results.

Last edited:

Mailer

Validated User
He. I'm lucky to manage 30 WPM. All the same typing is a blessing for me. I can still get things done faster than on paper, with less chance of spelling and word choice errors since I can easily read the results.
30 is actually pretty good. Typing is the unsung hero in the GMs toolbox.

Mailer

Validated User
Min-Maximus the Vampire part 13
In One Ear, Out the Other

High Noon at Computer Dweebs. Min-Maximus stops by my office, but I'm heading out the door for lunch with Long Jon, so Maximus follows us out to the car.

"I talked to Wheeler," Maximus explains real quick as I'm getting in the car, "He wants to play All Flesh."

"What?" I stopped my descent into the car seat and stood again. "I really wanted to start with just three."

"I know," he agreed, "I told him he would need to talk to you about it first."

Sigh.
For the Love of Gygax.

I go to KFC with Long Jon. The following is a sample of our conversation:

Mailer: Its just in one, fuckin' ear and out the other with this fuckin' guy!

Long Jon: Such a dick!

Mailer: Like I'm gonna fuckin' tell Wheeler, right to his fucking little face, that he can't come!

Long Jon: I fucking hate Min-Maximus!

Mailer: He's such a little piece OF SHIT!!!!

I run into Wheeler later that afternoon. I like Wheeler. He's been a Dweeb for awhile, and we had already formed a friendship that was completely unrelated to gaming.

"Min-Maximus said you're running an RPG," Wheeler mentions.

"Sort of," I answer, "I just slapped some shit together for a short scenario."

"Man, I want to play," Wheeler says.

"You're way too cool for my group," I laugh, "But if you really want in, we can whip a character up and get you in for Wednesday night."

"I'm not too cool," Wheeler laughs, "I played lots of Dungeons and Dragons in high school."

"What game are you playing?" Mary asks. Mary is the Corporate Head of Something—I never understood exactly what—but she definitely outranks me and is also married to my immediate supervisor, the Vice President of Computer Dweebs.

"I don't want to tell you what it's called," I sheepishly say.

"Why?" she asks, smirking because she knows its something embarrassing.

"Because its just too horrible and nerdy to even say."

And now Mary is really chuckling it up, "You can tell me," she says, "I have a teenage son. I've heard worse."

"Allflshmstbeaten," I murmur under my breath, behind a hand.

"What?" Mary laughs. She's practically busting a gut at this point.

"All Flesh Must Be Eaten!" I cry out.

Next Up—All Flesh Must Be Eaten: Session 1

Last edited:

FirstWave

Validated User
Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are great if you read the comiccs or a graphic novel. A synopsis is not gonna cut it.

Mailer

Validated User
Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are great if you read the comiccs or a graphic novel. A synopsis is not gonna cut it.
Since the time of this story, I have actually read both, including the tie-ins, and even ran a Cortex Marvel Super Hero campaign based on WW Hulk, LOL.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Is this going to end with you having to wear a bell and a sign saying GAMER around your neck?

Timon

Unabashed optimist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think someone else rings the bell and incants game, game, game, game...

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
He might do well in the zombie apocalypse — as long as the zombies weren’t runners, too. :D
:) I haven't seen a Cruise movie in a while, but he used to have to sprint in every film, even ones where there wasn't much need, like The Firm.

Yeah, that's it. Simple name Tom replaced with simple name John, and a Cruise is a Voyage.
That was precisely what I was thinking.

John Travolta + Bon Voyage pun FTW
I wish I was that creative!

On typing for GMs--I agree that it helps a lot, though I still find when I'm sketching out ideas I'm more likely to start with pen and paper. In days of yore, I used handwritten notes almost exclusively, with the result that planning meant a lot of sitting and thinking, with usually only fairly sketchy notes at the end of the process. Most of the background information remained only in my head. Which was fine at the time--no need to look things up--but now means that when I look at old notes I have little idea what was going on in specific games or campaigns.

Top Bottom