• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [FAE] Hope City Heroes

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Wadjet, Fortuna, Blitz, Dr. Doll (II)

Blitz [Stress: OOO FP: 1/3]
Mild: N/A Moderate: "Radiation Poisoning" Severe: N/A

That was his excuse for being here. "Um Professor?" He said, somewhat nervously. Which isn't feigned at all... this guy was a villain after all. "Sir, I know you probably get this a lot, but I was wondering if I could interview you? It's for a school project."
The old man in the chair doesn't open his eyes. He says in a quiet, reedy voice: "Where did you get irradiated, boy? I can hear the fricatives in your voice from the dead cells in the lining of your throat."

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Shade

SHADE [Stress OOO // FP 2]

"What can you tell me about your former associate Foresight?" Shade begins. "Specifically about her sacrifice and what she hoped to accomplish?"

OOC: I guess 'careful' is the closest approach here. Carefully Questioning BloodBlade: 4dF+1 1 Meh.
"I did a full debriefing as a condition of my parole; I don't know anything more now than I did then, which was that Foresight is being held in an even worse prison than I was. Though I assume she broke out, or you wouldn't be here. Hassling law-abiding citizens because of the state's failures - this feels even more like home."

A young girl - perhaps 6 years old - in a blue dress with a yellow flower on it runs up to the pair as they stand talking in that back section of produce where nobody really goes. Her (presumably) mother is slowly jogging to catch up with her, but is hampered by her two younger children. She pulls on Shade's pant leg. "Excuse me, mister. Are you a hero?" she asks.

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User

Shade looks down at the little girl and smiles despite himself. "No. I'm an an-ach-ro-nism," he says, carefully pronouncing the individual syllables for her. "But I hang out with heroes. Ever heard of Tigress? or Blitz, the Lightning Kid?"

OOC: Llayne Llayne - Sorry for misrepresenting Blitz's title, but I figure Shade would almost certainly get it wrong.

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
Fortuna (XXO, 1 FP)

It had probably been wishful thinking to assume he had left something out in the open.

She listens closely to Blitz as he speaks. Not exactly the tactic she would have gone with, but whatever, maybe the kid knew what he was doing. She uses the distraction to examine the chess board more closely. Could Foresight have been passing the time in her pseudo life playing games with her old mentor? What was the current position of the two sides? Also the books. The psychic boy had quite a penchant for science fiction and fantasy, maybe the old man shares the same taste. Had he been a mentor to both mother and son? Maybe he had taken his shoes off in a hidden lab? Maybe there is a picture of something sentimental that the young man could pick at in his "school" interview. There had to be something here that could at least be used for leverage.

OOC:
Still waiting for other characters in the scene to act before I really do anything, but what's the current chess board position like and what sort of fiction is the man reading? Also, is there anything that might hint at a hidden space or exit? Geometry of the walls being slightly off or something that's unusually worn. Not sure if that needs a roll or even what approach it would be, so I'll just roll without any bonus and you can decide what approach makes sense here.

Create advantage through investigation: 4dF 4, and with a roll like that, probably I didn't need to roll.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dr. Doll

The old man in the chair doesn't open his eyes. He says in a quiet, reedy voice: "Where did you get irradiated, boy? I can hear the fricatives in your voice from the dead cells in the lining of your throat."
"Just as smart as I remember, aren't you, professor?" said Dr. Doll. "I don't need to ask if you remember me, do I?"

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Wadjet, Fortuna, Blitz, Dr. Doll (II)

Fortuna (XXO, 1 FP)

It had probably been wishful thinking to assume he had left something out in the open.

She listens closely to Blitz as he speaks. Not exactly the tactic she would have gone with, but whatever, maybe the kid knew what he was doing. She uses the distraction to examine the chess board more closely. Could Foresight have been passing the time in her pseudo life playing games with her old mentor? What was the current position of the two sides? Also the books. The psychic boy had quite a penchant for science fiction and fantasy, maybe the old man shares the same taste. Had he been a mentor to both mother and son? Maybe he had taken his shoes off in a hidden lab? Maybe there is a picture of something sentimental that the young man could pick at in his "school" interview. There had to be something here that could at least be used for leverage.

OOC:
Still waiting for other characters in the scene to act before I really do anything, but what's the current chess board position like and what sort of fiction is the man reading? Also, is there anything that might hint at a hidden space or exit? Geometry of the walls being slightly off or something that's unusually worn. Not sure if that needs a roll or even what approach it would be, so I'll just roll without any bonus and you can decide what approach makes sense here.

Create advantage through investigation: 4dF 4, and with a roll like that, probably I didn't need to roll.
OOC: Don't sleep on the shoes thing that you got with your last roll - it's a real clue.

I would call this Careful, which would make it a 5. We'll call that a success with style on your Create Advantage - Insight into the plan with 2 free invocations.

The room appears to be a fairly standard assisted living facility room - no weird architecture or hidden openings.

The fiction on the shelves is from a variety of authors across a broad spectrum of time. It's mostly speculative fiction (Verne all the way through Stephenson), with a fair minority of classic works.

The book on his lap is a hardback collection of Arthur Machen's speculative horror fiction.

Luckily for her, Fortuna happened to catch a documentary on historical chess games the last time she was stuck in a hotel bar waiting for a meeting with some out-of-town politicos. The game on the chess board is a recapitulation of The Game of the Century, during which then 13-year-old Bobby Fischer sacrificed his queen in order to establish an opportunity for his lesser pieces to develop a significant material advantage over his opponent that eventually won him the game.

Dr. Doll

"Just as smart as I remember, aren't you, professor?" said Dr. Doll. "I don't need to ask if you remember me, do I?"
"Hermione," Professor Science says and opens his eyes, turning to look in the heroes' direction. "Age does dull the mind, but not that much. What can I do for you? Are you teaching? Is that the reason that the young man wants an interview? Perhaps with the reporter and the political hack listening in?"

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Shade

Shade looks down at the little girl and smiles despite himself. "No. I'm an an-ach-ro-nism," he says, carefully pronouncing the individual syllables for her. "But I hang out with heroes. Ever heard of Tigress? or Blitz, the Lightning Kid?"

OOC: Llayne Llayne - Sorry for misrepresenting Blitz's title, but I figure Shade would almost certainly get it wrong.
"Uh-huh," she says with a smile. "I'll make sure their tombstones are right next to yours."

BloodBlade takes a large step directly backward.

Shade can hear things dropping and feet shuffling everywhere throughout the store. A Hispanic man with a nametag that says "Carlos" emerges from the back of the produce section. The older gent who bought that ham earlier now drops it and begins walking toward Shade.

"I'm sorry for this, Alex, I truly am," the little girl says to BloodBlade. "I knew that you wouldn't want to be involved. You can leave, if you like."

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User

Shade didn't take the time necessary to blink. He just vanished from existence, reappearing at the farthest point he could see outside the store through the windows then vanished again to reach the next farthest point and then the next, changing directions obliquely each time and getting as far from the scene as he could. Are you a hero? No. In truth, he wasn't. He was an anachronism. A thing out of time.

But removing himself from the situation was the best way he could think of to ensure the safety of those people against Foresight's manipulation.

OOC: Fleeing Quickly: 4dF+2 2. If that needs to be higher, I'll spend the necessary FP to invoke Walker of the Ways Between to add another +2 (and Son of Stone and Shadow, if necessary, to add yet another +2)

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Blitz [Stress: OOO FP: 1/3]
Mild: N/A Moderate: "Radiation Poisoning" Severe: N/A

Tommy frowned. Wow... he can sense that? "I... got too close to a super-villain battling with some heroes earlier today. The medics on the scene checked me out and said I'd be okay." He paused, honestly wondering if that was true. He decided to use that fear to his advantage.

"Am I going to be okay, Professor?" He asked.

Dr. Doll cut right to the chase however. That's right... she said there was history between the two of them... perhaps my ruse wasn't as clever as I thought it was. The Professor seemed to think she was his teacher though... so his story was safe... for all of three seconds.

"Perhaps with the reporter and the political hack listening in?" Tommy didn't have a response to that. Have we been busted already? He decided to do what teenagers did best... act dumb.

"What's going on Dr. Dahl? I thought I was here for a school interview?"

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Perhaps with the reporter and the political hack listening in?" Tommy didn't have a response to that. Have we been busted already? He decided to do what teenagers did best... act dumb.
OOC: I maybe should have made this clearer OOC: for genre reasons, he can’t super-smarts past your secret identities. He’s referring to Wadjet and Fortuna’s respective civilian identities, which he could easily know from watching the news or reading the paper + super-smarts, because they’re both public-ish figures. With the exception of those without secret IDs, you won’t be recognized as a super without a Compel.

Totally appropriate for Blitz to be worried about it IC, of course.

Top Bottom