• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [FAE] Hope City Heroes

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
OOC: Alright, going for this.

Alejandra shouldn't let the jab get under her skin, but it did. Not as much as she pretends though. She responds, "You know, it's ironic to study Bobby Fisher's games. He hated that sort of thing. Lesser players studying and memorizing the strategies of truly great players so they could repeat them rather than thinking for themselves. It was what drove him from the game eventually, all those pretentious chess hacks."

Paraphrasing and skipping some details but more or less true.

"But yes I am in politics professor and I am dutifully impressed by your party trick cold reading. And I won't lie to you, I am here because you're a political commodity and I am supposed to figure out how best to package you for political gain. You see, the over 65 crowd is a large voting bloc and they also happen to be the only ones that remember your career, so city hall is going to wheel you out as something. We get to decided what."
"You could answer Dr. Dahl and the kid's questions and we've got a nice human interest piece about how successful the reform program is at taking this raving madman and declawing him so that now he helps mentor high school students. Everyone loves a redemption arc. Personally, I think a story about a could have been brilliant inventor that didn't have the common sense to just commercialize his inventions rotting away in a nursing home staring sadly at an observatory would be great. Package it as you just lacked the work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to actually achieve wealth honestly. We could compare you to Richard Reeds. You know he has an observatory named after him. Or maybe you've been working on something interesting, a doomsday device with vacuum tubes or some other nonsense. Then I can get a Vietnam era super hero in here to punch you in the face like they use to and the city council can give 'em a medal. The senior crowd will eat that shit up. So Sy do you want to keep being an ass or can you just answer the kids questions so we can get the happy campaign story everyone wants and go home."

Then she turns to Tommy, " Sorry kid, city hall isn't really interested in your report unless it moves the polls two points."

OOC:

Not sure what action this is. Probably obnoxious would be a good approach here. :)
I want to make him feel inadequate, like he needs to prove something, so he might let something slip or try to get smart and tease some clue mockingly. Also, be the bad cop and focus his irritation.
Sneaky create advantage?: 4dF+3 3.

Also, I think a compel on Unconscious control this scene would be fun.

And I have no idea where the shoes are going if someone wants to jump in there.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Wadjet, Fortuna, Blitz, Dr. Doll (II)

Blitz [Stress: OOO FP: 1/3]
Mild: N/A Moderate: "Radiation Poisoning" Severe: N/A

Tommy frowned. Wow... he can sense that? "I... got too close to a super-villain battling with some heroes earlier today. The medics on the scene checked me out and said I'd be okay." He paused, honestly wondering if that was true. He decided to use that fear to his advantage.

"Am I going to be okay, Professor?" He asked.
"You're still young and evidently reasonably healthy overall," he says with confidence but without compassion, "you're not in danger of dying from acute radiation sickness. Your lifetime cancer risk is substantially elevated, of course."

OOC: Alright, going for this.

Alejandra shouldn't let the jab get under her skin, but it did. Not as much as she pretends though. She responds, "You know, it's ironic to study Bobby Fisher's games. He hated that sort of thing. Lesser players studying and memorizing the strategies of truly great players so they could repeat them rather than thinking for themselves. It was what drove him from the game eventually, all those pretentious chess hacks."

Paraphrasing and skipping some details but more or less true.

"But yes I am in politics professor and I am dutifully impressed by your party trick cold reading. And I won't lie to you, I am here because you're a political commodity and I am supposed to figure out how best to package you for political gain. You see, the over 65 crowd is a large voting bloc and they also happen to be the only ones that remember your career, so city hall is going to wheel you out as something. We get to decided what."
"You could answer Dr. Dahl and the kid's questions and we've got a nice human interest piece about how successful the reform program is at taking this raving madman and declawing him so that now he helps mentor high school students. Everyone loves a redemption arc. Personally, I think a story about a could have been brilliant inventor that didn't have the common sense to just commercialize his inventions rotting away in a nursing home staring sadly at an observatory would be great. Package it as you just lacked the work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to actually achieve wealth honestly. We could compare you to Richard Reeds. You know he has an observatory named after him. Or maybe you've been working on something interesting, a doomsday device with vacuum tubes or some other nonsense. Then I can get a Vietnam era super hero in here to punch you in the face like they use to and the city council can give 'em a medal. The senior crowd will eat that shit up. So Sy do you want to keep being an ass or can you just answer the kids questions so we can get the happy campaign story everyone wants and go home."

Then she turns to Tommy, " Sorry kid, city hall isn't really interested in your report unless it moves the polls two points."

OOC:

Not sure what action this is. Probably obnoxious would be a good approach here. :)
I want to make him feel inadequate, like he needs to prove something, so he might let something slip or try to get smart and tease some clue mockingly. Also, be the bad cop and focus his irritation.
Sneaky create advantage?: 4dF+3 3.

Also, I think a compel on Unconscious control this scene would be fun.

And I have no idea where the shoes are going if someone wants to jump in there.
OOC: Sure, I'll give you a Compel on Subconscious Control. Take a FP and he's not even going to roll to oppose your Creating that Advantage. For reasons that will become apparent.

Sy Method's face remains impassive during Fortuna's scolding, but Professor Science's eyes narrow a bit. Sy Method doesn't rise from his chair, but Professor Science's hands tighten on the armrests.

Then a nurse in scrubs knocks on the open door of the room. "Did you want dinner, Dr. Method, or would you like to wait for your guests to leave?" he asks in a polite tone.

The old villain's eyes and hands relax. "I'll wait, Kendrick, thank you."

"I actually know Reeds fairly well. He's a smart man, and he deserves that observatory. I knew Fischer, too. High strung. I'll answer all of the questions you'd care to ask, young man. After all, I have nothing but time."

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Shade

SHADE [Stress OOO // FP 2]

Shade didn't take the time necessary to blink. He just vanished from existence, reappearing at the farthest point he could see outside the store through the windows then vanished again to reach the next farthest point and then the next, changing directions obliquely each time and getting as far from the scene as he could. Are you a hero? No. In truth, he wasn't. He was an anachronism. A thing out of time.

But removing himself from the situation was the best way he could think of to ensure the safety of those people against Foresight's manipulation.

OOC: Fleeing Quickly: 4dF+2 2. If that needs to be higher, I'll spend the necessary FP to invoke Walker of the Ways Between to add another +2 (and Son of Stone and Shadow, if necessary, to add yet another +2)
OOC: There's nobody really trying to stop you, so 2 shifts is plenty.

A moment later from his new position, Shade can see the S-Mart catch fire. Smoke rises. Sirens begin racing toward it.

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User

Tommy had to admire how easily Alejandra explained her presence... all while protecting his own reason for being here. Good thing she's not actually running for office... scary.

"I... uh..." He had prepared a few questions on the way over, but the rapid turnarounds and introductions had thrown him off a bit. "Uh... Professor, you've been an active Cape for a long time... both as a hero and as a... uh... villain. Now that your days of being a Cape are behind you, what would you consider yourself now, a hero or villain?"

"As a follow up question... you've rubbed shoulders with some of the greatest heroes and villains of your day... who would you say impacted your life the most?" He thought those were both generic enough questions not to rouse any suspicions, but they also led him to ask about Foresight and her current activities.

OOC: In case there's nothing earth shattering in his initial questions, his next question will be...

"Foresight was something of a protege of yours wasn't she? Details are vague... almost like someone's been trying to bury all the information... but I'm getting hints that she had a similar path... starting as a hero and later becoming a villain. What would have made her change sides? I imagine it would have to be a very powerful motivator for such a drastic change."

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Tommy had to admire how easily Alejandra explained her presence... all while protecting his own reason for being here. Good thing she's not actually running for office... scary.

"I... uh..." He had prepared a few questions on the way over, but the rapid turnarounds and introductions had thrown him off a bit. "Uh... Professor, you've been an active Cape for a long time... both as a hero and as a... uh... villain. Now that your days of being a Cape are behind you, what would you consider yourself now, a hero or villain?"
Professor Science pontificates for some time about the arbitrariness of labels, hits some Lacanian semiotics, circles around to ancient Greek meanings of the word hero, reviews some Nietzchean self-actualization kind of faff, and eventually gets back to: "So if your question is 'hero or villain,' my answer is 'yes.'"

"As a follow up question... you've rubbed shoulders with some of the greatest heroes and villains of your day... who would you say impacted your life the most?" He thought those were both generic enough questions not to rouse any suspicions, but they also led him to ask about Foresight and her current activities.
Professor Science thinks for a minute and says: "Have you heard the tragedy of The Hospitaller? No? I thought not: it's not one the Capes would tell you. The Hospitaller and I worked together during the Second World War. By our efforts, we stopped Zyklon Omega, the Nazi super who almost managed to wipe out London. She was magnificent. Oh, it was my assistants and I who designed and made the Resonance Tunneller that shifted the fascist to a different dimension, but her life energy manipulation kept us alive long enough to do it even in the midst of his death induction field. I absorbed so much of it that I'm still fairly hale and hearty despite being 117 years old."

He taps a hand on his armrest.

"But, she'd burned herself out stopping that bastard and never really recovered. Died not very long after the war ended. Oh, she was on the cover of the newspaper for a day or two and there was a state funeral, but that was it. Hardly anybody even remembers her name now. Hardly anybody even remembered her name by 1947. Julie Nightingale. The Hospitaller. She taught me an important lesson."

"Foresight was something of a protege of yours wasn't she? Details are vague... almost like someone's been trying to bury all the information... but I'm getting hints that she had a similar path... starting as a hero and later becoming a villain. What would have made her change sides? I imagine it would have to be a very powerful motivator for such a drastic change."
Professor Science's eyes narrow and he smiles. "You're young. And not all that bright. Society calling you a hero one day and a villain the next doesn't necessarily mean that you changed sides. Sometimes the world changes sides and you don't. I've known Foresight for several decades - less the time she's been imprisoned, of course - and she's always been Foresight."

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User

The Professor's comments hit a little too close to home, given the history of Tommy's father and the treatment Flux was given in the media. If I'm convinced Dad wand t really a villain, why do I accept that Professor Science was?

"You do bring up some good points. I think people like to label things so they can understand them better. Or at least feel like they do. Often times that leads to false assumptions. That can be bad for the person mislabeled, but what does society care? Everything fits into it's nice little box when it had a label attached."

Realizing that he probably wasn't the right person to lead this questioning, he desperately wished the Adkinistrator's psychic link was still up so Alejandra and the others could feed him questions.

Since that wasnt going to happen, Tommy took a deep breath and tried to push forward. "So you're saying that Foresight never really changed? You're saying villain or hero is irrelevant... so how about we use the term... values. You say her values were the same despite whatever label was given to her. What were those values then? What drover her?"

thorya

Statistical out-liar
Validated User
Fortuna (XXO, 2FP)

She turns and says casually, "Okay, the old man is talking. I have phone calls to make."

She steps out of the room. The sacrificed queen is a bit heavy-handed, but pretensious intellectual types were never subtle. A hidden lab space or invention to explain the missing shoes would have been convenient, but what could it be? The shoes hadn't just walked off by themselves. Ohhhh, it clicked. They were talking to a copy. That meant Demonym had been here. Maybe they caught him and the professor leaving on camera? The professor likely had a solution for that, but maybe their Tech person could counter it.

She leans back in, "Dr. Dahl? Do you have a minute? We need to schedule a time for you to talk to the science committee."

Once Dr. Doll was in the hall she whispers, "It's a duplicate, let the kid keep him busy. We need to check surveillance footage for the real doctor."

The possibility that a duplicate went to do the dangerous super villain stuff while the real one waited safely here didn't even cross her mind.

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User

Shade dials 911 on his phone and reports the store fire without leaving his name or staying on the line.

<<Was that what I think it was?>> he asks Cuetlatchli without speaking aloud and resumes jumping about the city until he ends up inside a sparse but clean apartment - 4A at 774 Water Street. It seems unlikely BloodBlade would have beat him here, but it also seems unlikely that she wouldn't drop in shortly . . . even if it were only to nab a few things before making her self scarce for a bit.

Shade finds a likely chair that looks like it might support man sized stone statue and settles in to wait.

OOC: I'll wait to see if she actually shows, but planning to use Shadowalker's Dance stunt to create a +2 positioning advantage when (if) she does show.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Heroes: Shade

Shade dials 911 on his phone and reports the store fire without leaving his name or staying on the line.

<<Was that what I think it was?>> he asks Cuetlatchli without speaking aloud and resumes jumping about the city until he ends up inside a sparse but clean apartment - 4A at 774 Water Street. It seems unlikely BloodBlade would have beat him here, but it also seems unlikely that she wouldn't drop in shortly . . . even if it were only to nab a few things before making her self scarce for a bit.

Shade finds a likely chair that looks like it might support man sized stone statue and settles in to wait.

OOC: I'll wait to see if she actually shows, but planning to use Shadowalker's Dance stunt to create a +2 positioning advantage when (if) she does show.
I don't know what you think it was, Basket, Cuetlatchli says, but if you think it was a spirit possessing the mind of a small girl to threaten you, then that's what it was.

Several hours pass and BloodBlade does not appear.

OOC: I'm doing this next part just to save some OOC time.

The primitive news app on Shade's phone pings. The headline on the story reads: FORMER SUPERVILLAIN SAVES DOZENS FROM STORE FIRE. There's a picture (lo-res, because it's on a flp-phone screen) of BloodBlade carrying four children out from a burning S-Mart in her superstrong arms.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User

The Professor's comments hit a little too close to home, given the history of Tommy's father and the treatment Flux was given in the media. If I'm convinced Dad wand t really a villain, why do I accept that Professor Science was?

"You do bring up some good points. I think people like to label things so they can understand them better. Or at least feel like they do. Often times that leads to false assumptions. That can be bad for the person mislabeled, but what does society care? Everything fits into it's nice little box when it had a label attached."

Realizing that he probably wasn't the right person to lead this questioning, he desperately wished the Adkinistrator's psychic link was still up so Alejandra and the others could feed him questions.

Since that wasnt going to happen, Tommy took a deep breath and tried to push forward. "So you're saying that Foresight never really changed? You're saying villain or hero is irrelevant... so how about we use the term... values. You say her values were the same despite whatever label was given to her. What were those values then? What drover her?"
"Why so much interest in Foresight?" Professor Science asks. "I thought you were here to interview me."

Fortuna (XXO, 2FP)

She turns and says casually, "Okay, the old man is talking. I have phone calls to make."

She steps out of the room. The sacrificed queen is a bit heavy-handed, but pretensious intellectual types were never subtle. A hidden lab space or invention to explain the missing shoes would have been convenient, but what could it be? The shoes hadn't just walked off by themselves. Ohhhh, it clicked. They were talking to a copy. That meant Demonym had been here. Maybe they caught him and the professor leaving on camera? The professor likely had a solution for that, but maybe their Tech person could counter it.

She leans back in, "Dr. Dahl? Do you have a minute? We need to schedule a time for you to talk to the science committee."

Once Dr. Doll was in the hall she whispers, "It's a duplicate, let the kid keep him busy. We need to check surveillance footage for the real doctor."

The possibility that a duplicate went to do the dangerous super villain stuff while the real one waited safely here didn't even cross her mind.
OOC: Just highlighting this in case Dr. Doll (II)/ Unka Josh Unka Josh misses it.

Top Bottom