Faerun maps or homebrewed for 5e

cacheek

Validated User
I’m going to run Dungeons and Dragons 5e game online soon. I’m debating on using the map of Faerun with tweaks to its history for personal preference or my own hand drawn maps that are scanned. I’m open to other options too.

I’d like to get others’ thoughts on this.

Ozreth

Validated User
Hm, not giving us too much to work with here. What are the reasons you chose those two options? You must see some pros and cons, what are they so that we can consider them? What is the campaign going to be like? What quality are your maps? What have you experiences with either of the options been like in the past?

Etc. Etc.

Last edited:

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
What I am doing for Maztica right now is scanning in the "classic" maps, importing them into graphics software, and then "drawing over" them with a graphics tablet (a cheap one with pressure sensitivity usually costs around 50 bucks) using a new layer. Then you can discard the old map and use what you drew.

It's quite a lot of fun, too!

Matrix Sorcica

Embodied Movie Quote
Validated User
What I am doing for Maztica right now is scanning in the "classic" maps, importing them into graphics software, and then "drawing over" them with a graphics tablet (a cheap one with pressure sensitivity usually costs around 50 bucks) using a new layer. Then you can discard the old map and use what you drew.

It's quite a lot of fun, too!
Very interesting. Could you please tell more, such as what tablet do you use (and what would be the best), how long does it take and maybe show some results? Thanks.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Very interesting. Could you please tell more, such as what tablet do you use (and what would be the best), how long does it take and maybe show some results? Thanks.
I am using "the best" - a Cintiq with a built-in screen - but since these cost upwards of a thousand bucks I really wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

Instead, I recommend getting the cheapest Wacom brand (Bamboo, I think) for trying it out - these already have pressure sensitivity, which is the important thing. You can move its pen over the tablet instead of drawing with a mouse, which is a huge improvement. There will be some disconnect at first since you have to draw with your hand but watch the screen, but you should quickly get used to it.

cacheek

Validated User
Hm, not giving us too much to work with here. What are the reasons you chose those two options? You must see some pros and cons, what are they so that we can consider them? What is the campaign going to be like? What quality are your maps? What have you experiences with either of the options been like in the past?

Etc. Etc.
Understood. My campaigns usually are pretty sandboxy for a while until the players and I develop story based on what they and I have been doing. Hard to explain and hope that makes since.

I like the look and feel it Faerun and that I have some background written already in published books. With my own maps, which are hand drawn black and white, players have no idea what may or may not be out there and everything seems to have a newer feel, but without having that pro quality map I fear immersion might be lacking.

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Are your sandboxes hexcrawls, by any chance? If so, I might have some additional, lengthy advice that I may be able to write down later...

Matrix Sorcica

Embodied Movie Quote
Validated User
I am using "the best" - a Cintiq with a built-in screen - but since these cost upwards of a thousand bucks I really wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

Instead, I recommend getting the cheapest Wacom brand (Bamboo, I think) for trying it out - these already have pressure sensitivity, which is the important thing. You can move its pen over the tablet instead of drawing with a mouse, which is a huge improvement. There will be some disconnect at first since you have to draw with your hand but watch the screen, but you should quickly get used to it.
Thanks. Do you have examples of WIP and finished maps?

Jürgen Hubert

aka "Herr Doktor Hubert"
Validated User
Thanks. Do you have examples of WIP and finished maps?
A current WIP is my effort to draw a new map of the city of Ulatos from the Maztica setting, portraying the city as it is more than a century later.

Spoiler: Show

Here is the original map as published in "Fires of Zatal":

Here I drew the coastlines, the boundaries of the river and the canals (including lots of new ones) as well as the elevations:

Here is the current status, showing the placement of individual locations (with many more to follow):

And here is a map (not finished, but pretty far advanced) from an old hexcrawl exploration campaign:

Last edited:
Top Bottom