• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fallout 4 and Mods and Modding and oh god what do I do

Eel

Validated User
I swear, at one point I knew how to do this. At least, I kind of knew what I was doing back with Skyrim. But now, I got a new PC a few months ago and thought I'd celebrate with a modded playthrough of Fallout 4 and I just don't get it. I don't know if I'm just getting older and dense, or if there's some brainfog and executive function/attention issues or what, but I can't even figure out where to begin. I start looking up guides and fall down some rabbit hole and just... never get started. What do people even use these days? I thought Mod Organizer 2 was going to be the thing, but I feel like people keep suggesting NMM in the guides I'm seeing.

I know I can do this, and I know I want to do this, I'm just stumbling around at the moment. Is there any consensus on a best beginner's guide?

Klajorne

Double Clutching Weasel
Validated User
I keep hearing about Vortex as a mod manager, which is probably what I'd install first if I was starting over. Then hit Nexus for the "most downloaded" or what have you.

Otherwise, start with the basics (unofficial patch, sim settlements, etc), just to get comfortable, the rest should follow naturally

Eel

Validated User
I keep hearing about Vortex as a mod manager, which is probably what I'd install first if I was starting over. Then hit Nexus for the "most downloaded" or what have you.

Otherwise, start with the basics (unofficial patch, sim settlements, etc), just to get comfortable, the rest should follow naturally
Thanks for the reply! I've got a pretty good idea of how to go about choosing my mods. I think my main stumbling block was trying to pick a mod manager.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Vortex is the new Nexus mod manager and seems to work great. I've used it for Skyrim SE extensively.

You can also get some mods through the game itself - or mix them from there and other sources.

PilgrimLazy

Spelunking Plato's cave
Validated User
Just started, myself. 39 mods running via Vortex and no problems. Well, except the random crash-to-desktop, but that happened before I modded anything.

The only problem I've run into so far is that a number of mods (including the unofficial patch) require all the DLC, and I just have the base game. (I'll get the content DLCs eventually, but I don't care about the others.)

Eel

Validated User
I was leaning toward Mod Organizer 2, since I used Mod Organizer back when I was playing Skyrim a few years ago. I thought I had read something or watched a video that had some reason for avoiding Vortex, but that would have been a few months ago, last time I had the time to start to do this, then abandon it. I'll give it another look!

Donald K.

Eat a bee today!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The community likes to get up in arms over which mod manager is garbage. Nexus Mod Manager is garbage and doesn't work, Mod Organizer is garbage and doesn't work, NMM is being replaced by Vortex which is garbage and doesn't work, MO2 is replacing MO, but it's garbage and doesn't work.

Sometimes a group will just declare one to not work, and refuse to troubleshoot problems for users who use that mod manager.

I just use the community version of NMM, which is still being updated. I've tried MO as well. They both work fine. People are silly.

mac40k

Validated User
I used NMM and LOOT (Load Order Optimization Tool) when I played. When I log into Nexus now, I see they have replaced the download NMM with download Vortex, which would seem to imply that NMM is no longer supported.

Klajorne

Double Clutching Weasel
Validated User
I used NMM and LOOT (Load Order Optimization Tool) when I played. When I log into Nexus now, I see they have replaced the download NMM with download Vortex, which would seem to imply that NMM is no longer supported.
That's the combo I was using when I was playing on the PC (playing on xbox currently). I had my gripes about the programs (I had a hard time interpreting the GUI), but they worked for what I needed, mostly. My main problem was that I was always hitting the 256 mod hard cap, and I wasn't smart enough to know how to combine them.

So, would there be a better mod manager? Sure, I guess. But I feel that we're splitting hairs over it.

Top Bottom