• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fallout 76: Three Hours of Gameplay

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
I was initially very hesitant. Now, I think it might make for a fun experience in a private server with fifteen other dedicated RPG.netters, primarily in PvE with scheduled PvP for kicks for anyone interested. You know, like civilized people. :)

(Are private servers even a thing? And I think 16 is the max per instance? Server? I know very little about this game.)

Reynard

Validated User
I was initially very hesitant. Now, I think it might make for a fun experience in a private server with fifteen other dedicated RPG.netters, primarily in PvE with scheduled PvP for kicks for anyone interested. You know, like civilized people. :)

(Are private servers even a thing? And I think 16 is the max per instance? Server? I know very little about this game.)
Private servers are planned but not available at launch. It is unknown how many people a private server can host but as is the game is intended to host "dozens" per server but not "hundreds."

Reynard

Validated User
If it was Fallout, the core premise wouldn't be starting yet another nuclear war.
What do you mean? Every Fallout game to date (except maybe Tactics, I never finished that game) has included choices that lead to players potentially unleashing weapons of mass destruction, from nukes to viruses to giant robots to genocidal armies. "War never changes" is pretty much the entire premise of the series, after all.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
What do you mean? Every Fallout game to date (except maybe Tactics, I never finished that game) has included choices that lead to players potentially unleashing weapons of mass destruction, from nukes to viruses to giant robots to genocidal armies. "War never changes" is pretty much the entire premise of the series, after all.
As the player, maybe. The average guy in Fallout just struggles to make a living and isn't part of a communities that happily nuke one another to get cool loot.

Reynard

Validated User
As the player, maybe. The average guy in Fallout just struggles to make a living and isn't part of a communities that happily nuke one another to get cool loot.
Well, one of the things that is true is that there aren't any "average guys" in Fallout 76. The idea is that this is the first vault to open, and the descendants of the PCs in this game go on to become the raiders and settlers and everyone else that inhabits the world of Fallout. Everyone is a PC is a thing that is built into the lore.

Now, that is of course a necessity based on the style of game they decided to make. To fill the world full of typical quest giving NPCs would have meant they were making Fallout Online instead of Fallout Rust or whatever. I for one would have preferred Fallout Borderlands as the style of multiplayer, but that's not what we got. But what we did look looks like fun for at least a while, depending on how good the content is on that giant map. I am not worried about the other player thing. MMOs are far worse about immersion breaking annoyance than this looks. I can't play ESO at all, for example, because no matter how interesting they try to make the fetch quests, there are always a thousand dumb looking other characters and their pets running around. At least in F76, it looks like I can slink off into the wilderness and hunt mothmen by myself.

Matt.Ceb

40 Years of Unknown Pleasures
Validated User
I continue to be unimpressed and disappointed that they both wasted such a cool setting on such a stupid genre and that Bethesda watered down parts of the Lore for this. (Bottlecaps, for example, make no damn sense in context.)

So, meh.

I'll watch some of Oxhorn's and Many A True Nerd's FO76 lore content, but that will be all of my engagement with this.

Top Bottom