Fallout 76: Three Hours of Gameplay

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
None of them have tubs, tho.

And I need a tub.
When I played F4 I was all about creating settlements, crafting evocative buildings, and placing junk like I am decorating a wasteland scene/work of art. In F76 I have a stepladder leading to a locked door that opens up on large flat platform with no exterior walls and nothing but crafting stations, a guitar, a bed, and a stash box.

I really miss all of those F4 crafting elements, but now that all of it in F76 is randomly scattered plans, I don’t even bother crafting interesting bases in this game. :(

PeterM

Validated User
I’m a little discouraged at the moment. I started the Mistress Of Mystery quests, and I absolutely love the concept of a former action star making the role a genuine source of hope in a world gone to hell. It might well be my favorite ever bit of Fallout lore, and I’m depressed that the “no human NPCs” rule means I’ll never get to actually meet her.

I’m also getting my ass kicked by the quest. The equipment has a level of 25 and I’m only 21 so I don’t mind waiting a few levels, but looking for the sword sends me to Whitespring, and it’s surrounded by level 40-60 ghouls. How the hell am I supposed to get by them? I already used my only stealth boy to try to escape a scorchbeast that came at me out of nowhere. Which didn’t help, but I managed to run like hell far and fast enough that it gave up.

For now I’m going to level up some more by doing some of the main quests that I hadn’t bothered with until now.

Stoat

A small carnivorous mammal of the weasel family.
Validated User
I got through that part of the quest by kiting the ghouls into the various death-bots hanging around.

ogier300

Validated User
I’m a little discouraged at the moment. I started the Mistress Of Mystery quests, and I absolutely love the concept of a former action star making the role a genuine source of hope in a world gone to hell. It might well be my favorite ever bit of Fallout lore, and I’m depressed that the “no human NPCs” rule means I’ll never get to actually meet her.

I’m also getting my ass kicked by the quest. The equipment has a level of 25 and I’m only 21 so I don’t mind waiting a few levels, but looking for the sword sends me to Whitespring, and it’s surrounded by level 40-60 ghouls. How the hell am I supposed to get by them? I already used my only stealth boy to try to escape a scorchbeast that came at me out of nowhere. Which didn’t help, but I managed to run like hell far and fast enough that it gave up.

For now I’m going to level up some more by doing some of the main quests that I hadn’t bothered with until now.
Sneak and run fast and use all your ammo, then luck out and have someone high level go through and kill a few of the ghouls... then try not to linger out of a sense of confidence, and run as fast as you can back to the protection of the robots only to die when stray robot shots cause all the cars in the parking lot to go nova... ... your personal method may, of course, require some differences.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’m also getting my ass kicked by the quest. The equipment has a level of 25 and I’m only 21 so I don’t mind waiting a few levels, but looking for the sword sends me to Whitespring, and it’s surrounded by level 40-60 ghouls. How the hell am I supposed to get by them?
Since Whitesprings almost always has a few 100+ level characters running around it, I had the exact same problem: it seems impossible to get the sword at "lower levels" when it's being guarded by monsters three times your level. Considering that the MoM quest is one of the best in F76, that fact kinda pissed me off for a long time as well. Eventually I got the sword, but only by getting another 100th level character to go in along with me as my bodyguard/hired merc...

BTW, I'm more than happy to attempt going with you to liberate the sword if you are on PS4. I have no idea how many times I'll die in the attempt, but it sounds like a noble quest. ;)

On a side note, I reached a milestone at Whitesprings yesterday. For the first time ever, I successfully killed all of the ghouls in the golf clubhouse by myself. Of course, I only pulled it off because I happen to have a tricked out legendary ghoul slaying lever action rifle, and I have the marsupial mutation. When the fight started to get too crazy, I ran away by jumping on top of the awning in the front of the clubhouse and thus above the reach of the ghouls. Basically, I'm 38th level and this area still kicks my ass without those advantages.

PeterM

Validated User
Reverend Keith, I appreciate the offer, but I'm on XBox, and I want to do it on my own anyway. I'll figure it out eventually.

Sneak and run fast and use all your ammo, then luck out and have someone high level go through and kill a few of the ghouls... then try not to linger out of a sense of confidence, and run as fast as you can back to the protection of the robots only to die when stray robot shots cause all the cars in the parking lot to go nova... ... your personal method may, of course, require some differences.
I definitely got the basics of the "have a plan but die anyway" part down. A 100+ level player did come running over at the very end, I'm assuming to try and help rather than just laugh at me, but it was too late. I didn't even bother going back for my stuff, since I had barely anything at that point.

I did have to run back into Grafton to get my stuff after that giant whatever the hell it was killed me. I had no idea where I was, even, just wandered in and saw an event notice and heard an announcement about a parade. Great, I love a parade! What're they saying about a monster? Wait, what the hell is that thing? Ahh! Run away!

Didn't help. The Ahh! Run away! part did work after I snuck back in for my loot, thankfully. I'm not going back there for awhile.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sometimes I really wonder what the dev team was thinking.

I've been playing F76 since it was released, and I thought the only way to get fusion cores was to make it at a chemistry station with five rare fluxes or to find them out in the wild. I completely forgot that Wak mentioned that you can get them by claiming a power plant workshop, but was reminded about that fact again while playing last night. In celebration of hitting 45th level, I've now completed power plant startup events three times, and each time claimed the workshop afterwards. The sheer amount of fusion cores I received from controlling those workshops makes me wonder why I'd ever waste pure fluxes on making fusion cores. What a waste of rare and valuable resources. Besides, if you are high enough level to manufacture all five stable fluxes, then taking over Poseidon power plant to start generating fusion cores is trivial.

Similarly, this reminds me of water filters as well. Sure, you can do an elaborate hunt for rare bleached dogwood in order to make a single purified water... or you can simply toss down a pump you can learn relatively early in the game and have it generate tons of them at you camp while you are off adventuring. I mean, does anyone here know of anyone that relies on harvesting bleached dogwood for their purified water?

Finally, I love getting new recipes, but most of them aren't worth your bang for your buck. Typically, the more complex recipes require far more ingredients, yet don't really give a corresponding mechanical benefit (added HP, food/water, etc.) that justifies spending those resources. For instance, compare mutt chops and dog meat steak. Mutt Chops gives you 45 Hit Points, +2 END, and +15 Food for the cost of one mongrel dog meat and one wood. Dog meat steak gives you 60 Hit Points, +3 END, and +20 Food for the cost of two mongrel dog meat, two boiled water, two mutfruit, two salt, and one wood. For the cost of two meat and two wood, you could craft two mutt chops and gain 50% more hit points and +10 more food than just making dog meat steak. (Not to mention all the boiled water, mutfruit, and salt you are saving for the cost of one more pound of food for just one more END point.)

I get that having multiple ways of making something is important in a game, however it just seems like the above could have been handled better. Clearly some options are really sub-optimal, and I think there could have been a better way of balancing this, so at least getting new recipes are actually useful and interesting. Right now, it makes me feel like I'm collecting recipes like they are collectible cards, rather than as something I'd use in game.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On a happier note, I just looted an anti-armor ski sword off some super mutants. Combined with Incisor x3, this beast cuts enemy DR down to 12.5%. Adding the metal shards mod will only drop DR down to 10.625%, so I think adding a skate blade instead to tack on an additional 25 bleed damage is the way to go.

One problem: anyone know where to buy a skate blade mod or where to find the plans?

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's a really good, but over 2 hour long (!) video about the problem with some stuff like the rarity vs abundance of stuff (like water and food) and the problem with the cooking recipes that we currently have, as noted.

Keep in mind, cooking was my friggin' QUEST, and I have all but 1 recipe that I know of (Cramburger, for the record) … but I only use, like, four, maybe five of 'em. The stuff that's more complicated needs to be made, well, better.

Rather low on the priority chart mind you … rubbing out more bugs and server stability's more important, but.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I also discovered yesterday that while vendors have fixed lists of plans/recipes to sell, that list changes depending on what level you are. I was at the Harper's Ferry vendor bot with my wife, and what I saw for sale (as a 45th level character) was different from what she saw (110+ lvl character).

Specifically, it had the plans for heavy combat armor arms available for her, but not me. Luckily, I simply handed her a thousand caps, and now I can craft my first bit of heavy combat armor. Woo hoo!

I've always heard that heavy combat armor plans were found in Harper Springs and Watoga, but never believed it because I never saw them. Turns out I simply wasn't high enough level. Now I just need to bug my wife whenever our paths next cross at those two stations. After all, I still need the leg and chest armor plans to match the set. ;)

Top Bottom