• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Fallout 76: Three Hours of Gameplay

PeterM

Validated User
I've learned quite a few recipes, and I'll use a new one if I notice that I have the ingredients, but mostly I just make the basic Mutt Steaks and Mole Rat Chunks. Also soup. Soup is good food and good drink, and you can't beat that. Half the stuff I make ends up rotting before I use it, so at least that's somewhat realistic.

The Mistress Of Mysteries quest is still kicking my ass a bit. I went looking for the tech for the gun and was having no problem at all against the Protectrons and Mr. Gutsies, but then a Level 36 Assaultron came out and just annihilated me. I went back to my base and loaded up on everything that might give me a chance against it, like all my plasma grenades, my newly found and repaired grenade launcher, and used a couple of bobbleheads and magazines. Then I went back and snuck in like a little mouse and managed to get what I need and get the hell out without disturbing the assaultron. Works for me.

I don't like the bobbleheads and magazines. I don't like temporary bonuses. The magazines worked well in New Vegas because you could use them to boost your skill to meet specific needs. But -15% damage from robots for an hour, or +30% explosives damage for an hour? I'm never going to use those unless something like an assaultron makes me. I really liked the permanent bonus bobbleheads, and I'd much prefer even a tiny permanent bonus for each bobblehead over a supposedly useful but actually never used temporary bonus.

I also got killed by another player for the first time today. I was defending the Tyler Dirt Track workshop, I think it's called, and after I beat the attackers a guy twice my level came running in. I thought he was there to help, and he might have been at first, but then he looked around and starting hosing me with his minigun. I fought back and damn near got him, though he probably hadn't used any stimpacks or anything. I've got a level 25 version of the .44 you get from the main quest that ignores 50% of the target's armor. It works pretty well. If I'd remembered to put on my power armor before the defense quest I might have beaten the bastard.

When I resurrected he was gone completely, must have taken my junk and logged out. Does the wanted status follow the character for awhile, or can you murder someone and log out with no consequences at all?

Vargen

Validated User
Sometimes I really wonder what the dev team was thinking.
They were thinking about how best to use limited developer time. I'm sure they know that crafting isn't balanced, but figured putting their spreadsheet-and-numbers people on combat balance or something would yield more overall improvement than another crafting pass would have.

Bethesda games never really hold up to much rigorous mechanical scrutiny. Fallout 76 was designed like all their other games. They build something that works for players who meet them where they are, but falls apart when somebody pokes at the edges.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A whole bunch of Atomic Shop stuff is being taken out tomorrow morning. They've put it all up at steep discounts in the store if you want to snag, say, the Rocketgirl suit or some of the Xmas stuff.

My account's a tad low just now.

Stoat

A small carnivorous mammal of the weasel family.
Validated User
Question for the thread: how do I accept a team invite on the PS4?

I'm not much interested in multiplayer, but I got an invite the other night and thought I'd try it. But when I opened the social menu, I couldn't tell what I was supposed to do to accept the invite and join the team.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Question for the thread: how do I accept a team invite on the PS4?

I'm not much interested in multiplayer, but I got an invite the other night and thought I'd try it. But when I opened the social menu, I couldn't tell what I was supposed to do to accept the invite and join the team.
Click on the individuals name in the social menu and amongst the options (mute, block, etc.) is accept team invite.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
NP. If you are looking for people to interact with, or people willing to donate plans, gear, and scrap to others for free, feel free to send me a friend request. I'm Cthulhu-363 on PS4. BTW, if you ever find a skate blade mod and are willing to part with it, I'll make it worth your while. :)

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sweet mother of Maxson. I found a 45th level anti-armor gauss rifle. Combined with Master Rifleman and Tank Killer, this weapon is a murder monster. High damage, good rate of fire, and ignores 2/3s of the target's DR. It looks like I can finally stop lugging around my hunting rifle around the wasteland.

Even better, I had already found Gauss Rifle plans like two months ago. I didn't do anything with it then because I wasn't high enough level at the time, nor did I have the two Science perks necessary to take advantage of that weapon. Fast forward to today and I'm currently crafting and scraping gauss rifles in order to learn new mods to trick out my legendary version.

Frankly, the only drawback is that each 2mm round weighs 0.1 pounds. Just carrying 100 2mm rounds is ten pounds. Yikes! It's really heavy, but so is the damage caused by this beast.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finally turfed my hunting rifle for the Brotherhood Recon Rifle, which I used for just about a month before finding a legendary hunting rifle tossed into a vendor … somewhere. Not in the Crangerry Bog or Whitesprings, so I'm not sure where I found it but, picked it up for a song and modded it to Hell and back. It's not a God-Tier gun, but it *is* three-star, with +damage against targets at 40% life or less, +25% to-hit in VATS, and a bonus on fire rate. Not the best but wicked cool for me, so I've been using it for a week or so.

My bugswatter's been replaced by a Legendary (+damage against animals) 10mm pistol, which was then modded lots, and my revolver is still my hardest-hitting weapon... but isn't legendary. D'oh.

All five pieces of combat armor I have are legendary in some degree or another, but, they're normal combat armor, not Sturdy of Heavy, so I want to replace 'em but the bonuses are good enough vs the extra damage reduction that I'm really reluctant to do so.

I'm now at level 102 tho, so, I *look* like some grim angel of death out there, even if the average level 30 can clobber me. :D

PeterM

Validated User
I lost the loot from a legendary Protectron because the damn thing blew up and killed me awhile after I killed it, while I was still mowing down its buddies. I guess I'm supposed to grab its loot during the firefight and run like hell? How am I supposed to know that? That pisses me off because it would've been the first legendary item I got as loot, rather than through quests.

I'm thinking about starting up a new character. Partially because a female character would look better in the Mistress of Mysteries dress. Partially because I always want to start a new character when I get maybe a third through a game. I've still never finished New Vegas. Too many new characters! But I also feel like I limited myself too much with this one early on, sticking real close to the Vault and Flatwoods instead of branching out. When I look at the map I see single-digit level characters far beyond the areas I've made it to yet, and I might want to try that. We shall see.

Top Bottom