• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fallout 76: Three Hours of Gameplay

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I loved Lead Belly 3, but I've since jettisoned the perk and I'm doing fine in the radiation department. I originally downgraded to Lead Belly 1 a few weeks ago, but I felt that if I could can handle that much radiation, then dropping to Lead Belly 0 wasn't a significant difference.

Doing so gave me the room to use both Cola Nut 2 and Rejuvenated 2. Rejuvenated is totally underrated, as it's one of the few AP regen perks. Just hotkey brainfungus/razorgrain soup regularly so you can max out Rejuvenated. The HP boost is nice, but the AP regen is totally worth the hassle of having to keep fed/hydrated. (I'm a VATS guy, so AP regen is essential for me. YMMV.)

I never leave gunsmith on as a active perk (as I only really use it when crafting), so I typically have Pharmacist 3 slotted in, which significantly boosts the effectiveness of Diluted RadAway. I use Diluted RadAway because unlike RadAway, the diluted version doesn't suppress mutations. (I like marsupial to keep working when I'm in a nuke zone.) The Cola Nut/Nuka Grape boost is always bad ass, as it cures all rad damage while also not suppressing mutations. So, I have Nuka Grape for those "holy shit I'm baking in a nuke zone" moments, and Diluted RadAway available for general radiation suppression (primarily when I'm collecting dirty water or eating soup). Nuka Grape eliminates so much rads, and isn't as easy to replace as Diluted RadAway, so I don't use Nuka Grape that often. Frankly I could get away with just Diluted RadAway and not taking Cola Nut, but I also like Nuka Quantum having triple the AP/HP boost.

Speaking of mutations, I have Adrenal Reaction, Healing Factor, Marsupial, Scaly Skin, and Speed Demon so always having Class Freak 3 and Starched Genes 2 always active is totally worth it IMO. Those flaws really stack up. :)

On a different note, I've never picked up Light-Footed as I've yet to run into a trap that has done any significant damage to me. Again, YMMV.

Standanko

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Class freak reduces negative mutations. I'm running Speed Demon, Healing Factor, Marsupial, and Scaly Skin (balances out the Hi-cap backpack). The chem hit and food requirements are hard without it.

I'll have to check Rejuvinated. I'm really missing Action Boy, but need ThruHiker more. I can't get rid of all the NUKA COLA. BTW, did we have any dentists in the vault. Things are feeling "odd".

Given how I only play a hour or two at a time, I'll try dropping Gunsmith. I kept it for the slower weapon degradation. Not having to switch in the Hacker perks all the time would be nice. Or running Demo Expert with Daisycutter or my Frag MIRV grenades would be cool.

Light Footed is one of my few useful rank 1s in Agility.

Bethesda, I could use about 10 more SPECIAL points, okay?

Writing this and looking at my virtual fella made me realize I'm carrying a ton of CRAP with a ton of weight reducing perks. Gonna have to have a sale!

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have the following setup for reducing the weight of food, drinks, and chems that I'm carrying.

Thru Hiker 2 (60% weight reduction for food/drink)
Traveling Pharmacy 1 (30% weight reduction for chems)
Chest Armor (20% weight reduction for food, drink, and chems)
Left Leg Armor (20% weight reduction for food, drink, and chems)

Naturally, when I last maxed my stashbox storage I simply moved most of my aid items out of the stash box and into my inventory. That freed up a huge amount of space in my stashbox, which I promptly replaced with guns, gear, and whatnot.

With all of that, I'm sitting at 220lbs. of weight on my character, however I found out the hard way that the bonuses I get from the legendary armor goes away if I put on a suit of power armor. Without that armor, I'm suddenly incapable of fast travelling because I'm carrying more weight than even my excavator armor with calibrated shocks can handle.

Clearly I'm carrying (and stashing) too much damn stuff. I need a massive inventory purge, which I keep telling myself I'll do any day now...

Last edited:

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*glances at 300+ plans and 120+ outfits*

Problem? No, I don't have a problem...

PeterM

Validated User
I just hit level 70 with my second character, which I'm enjoying more than my first simply because rifles are much more effective than pistols. But I'm at the point I hit in a lot of second playthroughs, where it's just a slog getting through stuff I've already done before. In this case it's one specific quest, going to the DMV to get the ID to get into Fort Defiance. Ye Gods I hated that the first time. Not least because the real DMV I go to is actually very efficient and pleasant, and yes I know how lucky I am. I had to kill maybe three Scorched the last I went in, and that was an unusually large number.

I'm also not crazy about the post-50 leveling system, though I can appreciate what it's trying to do. I'm not sure what to do with my damn points. I have too many in Intelligence, for example, so I don't have to keep switching things in and out. I could probably get by with 5 or even 4, if I was willing and able to remember to switch out every time I build a piece of armor, then every time I build a gun, then every time I repair armor, then every time I repair a gun, then every time I want to build in my CAMP, then every time I want to hack a terminal. As it is I leave a lot of them in all the time and swear when I forget to switch in one of the odd balls when it's the right time.

Perception's the same way. Logically, I should have all the rifle damage perks maxed and switch one out when I need to pick a lock or harvest from a plant, but screw that. I generally leave the first two lockpicks and green thumb in and swap in lockpick three when I need it. It's inefficient but so much easier.

I'm really hoping that if and when mods are officially allowed one of the perk swapper mods apparently already being used on PC is made available. I'm more than a bit worried Bethesda is going to try and make people pay for mods again, though, despite how badly that went last time. We shall see.

Standanko

RPGnet Member
Validated User
PeterM I know exactly what you mean. One of my pushes to heavy weapons was Perception points. I needed lockpicks, rifleman, tank killer, green thumb, etc. Now, I can run on P5 with 3 lockpicks, green thumb, and magazine detector permanently loaded. Plus, I love DAKKA!

Speaking of dakka, Thursday night I got involved in slmeoneelse's SBQ hunt. Only 3 people showed, it was a cluster of immense proportions. I had to keep scrubbing scorched off of the other 2 players and didn't get to engage the queen much at all. We didn't get her past the second phase. Somewhere in that battle, I picked up 50 cal MG Prime Receiver plans. Ka-ching

Now, I've got to find a better 50. I have 2 one stars, anti-armor and zealot. Give me a 3 star AA to upgrade, please

Mister Gone

Six Monkey Slap-Slap
Validated User
I need some build advice. Here is what I currently run

S 15 - Bear Arms 3, Bandolier 2, Pack Rat 3, Heavy Gunner 1 + 3 + 3
P 5 - usually all 3 Picklocks, Green Thumb, and detect magazines perk
E 4 - Lead Belly 1, Nuka Net 2, Good Doggy 1
C 4 - Travel Agent 1 and either Lone Wanderer 3, Hard Bargain 3, or Inspirational 3
I 8 - Gunsmith 5, Stabilied 3
A 5 - Hiker 3 (reduces food weight), Sneak 1, Light Footed 1
L 15 - Starched Genes 2, Class Freak 3, Pharma Farmer 3, Can Do! 1, Bloody Mess 3, that other Heavy Weapon perk that staggers & cripples limbs 3

Thanks
My advice is to ditch Pack Rat and all the weight reduction perks. They're good at lower level while you're building up some resources, but at higher levels it's less difficult to go into an area and just scavenge up whatever you need. Eventually they become a crutch and you have an over-stuffed stash with mostly steel, wood, rubber, glass, etc. Pocket mod your armor, grind possum badges for the possum backpack, bulk junk, limit yourself to like 10 or less each of radaway, rad-x, 15 or so stimpaks, keep only as much cooked food as you can eat before spoiling, like 10 or 15 water, stash everything that is technically a crafting component that you can access at any bench, even boiled water. Inventory management and fast traveling back to your camp to restock will offset the need for weight reductions. Only carry two guns and one hand weapon at a time. This way you can replace Pack Rat with 3 one-star weapon perks (one of each regular, expert, and master) or a 3-star iron fist if that's your jam. Now you can pull out a melee weapon and smack anything that gets too close, and remember, melee is really strong. If you drop Bandolier (that's another weight reduction?) you can get Incisor or Martial Artist to enhance the melee.

If you embrace perk swapping, you can get a lot more out of your perks. STR you obviously want maxed for heavy weapons and melee plus carry weight. PERis a tricky one because unless you're a rifle guy there's no need to go very high with it but there's a lot of handy stuff in there. END is okay at like 5 or 6, having at least one rank of Adamantium Skeleton is real nice, but not mandatory. If you're not trying to get up close to the enemy on purpose you don't absolutely need it. Disease resistance is nice but you can make your own disease cures, so meh. CHA I have at 5 on both my characters, one for Lone Wanderer and Travel Agent, and the other for whatever I need to swap in depending on if I'm on a team or not, but Party Boy/Girl is pretty powerful especially with all the types of alcohol introduced. INT you could probably get away with 6 maybe 7, but get Scrapper in there because extra scrap. INT is the one trait I swap perks around the most. AGI replace Hiker with Acton Boy/Girl no question. LUC you could drop Pharma Farmer and Can Do and have 4 points to spread around.

Hope any of that helps!

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Patch 11 is coming mid-July and along with bug fixes also apparently has a bunch of quality of life changes:

Spoiling: food and flux spoil 50% slower now and won’t spoil due to fast traveling.

Lower level boosts: cheaper fast travel until 25th level, higher disease resistance until 15th level. Looks like critters in the Ash Heap, Savage Divide, and Toxic Valley will lower level for (presumably) low levels leaving the forest for the first time.

Item descriptions: Legendary items will have all legendary descriptors shown whenever you look at it in inventory. Recipes, plans, and mods apparently will now describe what they make. Not sure if just the stats, like +3 str, or if we would get a picture of what the plan makes.

Apparently the power armor HUD can be toggled on or off soon, Booze can be added to the punch bowl camp item, and Bulked junk will no longer get scrapped when we hit scrap all junk. (Yay!)

Link

PeterM

Validated User
That all sounds good and useful, especially making plans more descriptive. But it'd be really nice if they fixed the stuff that's actually broken along with the quality of life tweaks.

Standanko

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I do swap perks, mostly for crafting and repair work. I've burned through my spare perks shuffling some SPECIAL and adding reccommended perks. I will look at Adamantium Skeleton next level. I find I tend to just die w/out getting limbs crippled in power armor and low level areas can't touch me.

All my kit is deep pocketed. I'm on an aggressive downgrading of the stash. Stable Flux is taking up a huge amount of space. I have from 25 to 50 of the various types.

Vending Machines. My are stuffed with plans, ammo, and bulked junk. Adhesives, Springs sell pretty fast. 5.56, .45 sell well, 1 cap each. Plans are hit and miss. Recepises are in my 5 & Dime machine at 5 to 10 caps and they sell erraticly. Mutation Serums go for about 1k caps. I ha e Marsupial, Healing Factor, Speed Demon, and Scaley Skin. Only SSkin hasn't sold at that price. What's working for you?

Top Bottom