• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fallout 76: Three Hours of Gameplay

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I “sell” all the ammo I don’t use at 0 caps. I don’t want to have added weight in my stash dedicated to weapons I don’t use, and most visitors will gladly snatch up a ton of useless ammo for free.

I put all of my excess plans in my vending machines, so I have a huge variety of them. They don’t move quickly, but there is always consistent sales with them. Strangely, it’s the alcoholic drink plans from Biv that tend to sell the quickest.

The slower selling unique items (like Fastnact masks) generate a lot of cash, but don’t sell as quickly as excess stable flux.

PeterM

Validated User
I just can’t get into late game play, past level 60 or so. So I started another new character, and at my wife’s urging she’s a lunatic who likes explosions and automatic weaponry, both of which are a departure from my usual. I’m going to go with Big Guns when she levels up a bit but for now I’m trying an automatic .38 pipe rifle. It’s impossible to keep enough ammo from the stupid thing, despite the fact that I’ll have more .38 than I’ll want in just a few levels.

The most annoying part of a new low level character is having to walk everywhere. I haven’t found hardly any fast travel points, and I don’t have any money to get to the ones I have found. It’s hard to be me.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm starting to get bummed out that my camp is regularly getting trashed by waves of enemies.

I get why I'm being attacked by tough opponents, as I'm 80th level with a camp in the Savage Divide, however I really didn't expect multiple waves of enemies and the sheer amount of collateral damage my camp takes every single session.

Usually two or three separate waves of attacks occur very quickly into each game session. One group is usually a bunch of scorched who quickly get vaporized, but the rest of these waves are some relatively hard core threats, like a group super mutant overlords. While I've enjoyed the blood pumping action of the fights, the reality is that the cost to repair the damage to my camp after each fight is exceeding the value of having a junk resource extractor in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love my junk extractor, and the view from my tower on the cliffs overlooking Watoga and the Cranberry Bog is fantastic. It's just disappointing when I realized that it would probably make more sense for me to move and set up shop around one of the junk piles in the Ash Heap, Toxic Valley, or the Forest (some of which are right next to open water).

Hopefully the frequency of attacks has just been a fluke, but if this keeps up, I'm probably going to throw in the towel and find a new camp location.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fired up the game last night and this time the first pack of Super Mutant Overlords showed up with missile launchers. That was a very epic, and short, fight. That's when it dawned on me that my character is immortal. The nice thing about dying in your camp is that you can just respawn right back into the middle of that fight, ready to get back to killing. It's not like these guys can permanently kill me. Worse comes to worse my gear takes a little wear and tear.

I'm really not used to thinking about respawning after death in 76. That was how my wife played the game: charge in, and if you die, respawn and charge in again. In hindsight, I've always held myself back in 76 like I'm going to be forced back to my previous save. I'm still wrapping my mind around there being no real drawback to being killed, and that in this case, I could simply respawn right back into the fight. I've known this forever, but it's never on my mind as I avoid conflict as much as humanly possible. Old habits die hard, I guess. That said, I'm certainly not going to complain about it when these guys are launching missiles at me from my own backyard. :)

(Still don't like the collateral damage to the camp, but that's a previous rant.)

Dewirix

Validated User
I picked this up last week and have got my first character to level 22. I like the way that enemy level is scaled by location and not just matched to your character. I've taken down a few level 62 enemies, and had some tense moments sneaking past high-level threats to reach quest targets.

I've probably picked a bad spot for my camp as it's just within aggro range of a bunch of super mutants, whose rifles easily out range my defensive turrets. I should probably move a bit, but I'm too miserly when it comes to caps, even though the cost is trivial.

Really enjoying the experience so far though. Very much like an expansion of Fallout 4 at the moment, which is what I'd hoped for.

Matsci

Magical Item like these are neat. I collect them.
Validated User
I picked this up last week and have got my first character to level 22. I like the way that enemy level is scaled by location and not just matched to your character. I've taken down a few level 62 enemies, and had some tense moments sneaking past high-level threats to reach quest targets.
Hate to break it to you, but the enemies are scaled to the first player to enter an area after they respawn, with in some area limits. Level 62 enemies don't mean that it's a tough location, just that a high level character ran through recently.

Mister Gone

Six Monkey Slap-Slap
Validated User
So how's everyone doing out in the wasteland? I've been playing with some friends, though individual schedules make it hard to get all of us together at once to progress the main quest together, we're just doing Rose's second stage of missions, even though I'm over lvl 50 and the other guys are in the 40's. This is my second character I made to play along with these guys. I have a camp I really like, but it's too big (literally at the size budget limit). It's a barn with a garage workshop in the back of it. Just got a backpack, and have been trying to do as many events as possible. Looking forward to more DLC content coming out.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My daughters just bought a Switch so I haven't really had a chance to play this week. :)

I did take some time to download patch 11, but I haven't logged on to play yet. The greenhouse that is now available in the Atom Shop surprised me, but I really didn't expect that Bethesda would be selling "scrapping kits" that let you scrap and automatically dump your junk into your stash from wherever you are. It sounds useful, but frankly are way too expensive for my wallet.

Wakshaani

Cheesey Goodness
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Supposedly you can find them in some Treasure Map locations. I can't verify that yet. A TAD busy for the next couple of days.

Reverend Keith

I was a friend of Jamis
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Interesting! I've been collecting treasure maps this entire game, and have been planning on going on a treasure hunting spree one day.

Top Bottom