• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fanfic] Recommended Fanfiction

Estrecca

Validated User
I've seen other fanfic focused threads in this subforum, so I trust that there won't be any issues in regard to this.

This thread should be used for the posting of fanfic recommendations, hopefully with each post containing at least one recommendation. Links would be nice when possible and so would a brief explanation about why you think that others might find your recommendation interesting.

So, in order to get started, a suggestion of my own.

Stardust

This is a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/X-Com crossover, as well as one of the fanfics that has impressed me most in recent times.

X-Com, for those who don't know about it, is a videogame series in which a secret organization fights against hordes of extra-terrestrial invaders who seek to conquer Earth and use humanity for nefarious purposes. As a result, it is a fiendishly difficult crossover to do in a non-stupid way, yet so far the author has managed to do a frankly magnificent job of it.

In short, Twilight Sparkle is tricked into making a deal with Discord concerning the power of friendship and ends transported to a planet in which the way to greet non-humans is the dissection table. After a rather rocky start, however, Twilight manages to reach an accommodation of sorts with the X-Com organization. Interesting stuff ensues.

HeWhoSpeaksOfDarkness

Banned
The first two stories I'm recomending are both of the Puella Magi Madoka Magica franchise.

The best fanfiction I've ever read is

To the Stars
Kyubey promised that humanity will reach the stars one day. The Incubator tactfully refrained from saying too much about what they would find there.[/QUOTE]

This a hard sci-fi space opera that happens to be about a magical girl. It kind of shouldn't work, but..frankly I think this is the best world building I have ever read anywhere. Fanfiction or published.

--------------------------

Resonance Days
Falling their mutual demise at each other's hands, Kyoko and Sayaka wake up in a strange world. Now, with Kyoko's soul gem missing and Sayaka's humanity and personality only partially restored, they must band together to survive.

This one is pretty dang weird, but also really good.

----------------------

I really like Aleph and Earthscropian's work. (They beta for each other and have similar tastes, which I mention them in the same breath.)

Game Theory :Who dares stand between a mother and her daughter's life? Precia will do anything to achieve her goals. Even if it means accepting Fate. First of the Gamesverse series.

Is the probably the best of Aleph's stories. Tightly plotted, convincing setting and characters while still having the best things about the Nanoha cannon.

---

Earthscropian has more works and I cant really pick out one thats the best because his three best works are fairly differnt from each oth

A Green Sun Illuminates the Void
Louise the Zero. A failure even at summoning a familiar. But now she has a second chance, access to power beyond the Void. Soon a new day shall dawn on Halkeginia, its light green and terrible and beautiful. They don't know what's going to hit them. Book I in the Verdigris and Flame Sequence

A very interesting take on Infernal Exaltation, in a interesting setting. This is probably his best world building, though Blue Social comes close too. I really liked the chapter written in germanic style alliterative poetry, but YMMV.

Overlady
"A new overlady, you say? She's a little short and flat-chested, although her temper is impressively vile. Oh well. Needs must when needs must. Too long have the lands of Halkeginia gone without true Evil. There are fluffy bunnies and happy ponies all over the place, frollicing! It makes me quite sick! No, it doesn't matter if she wants to or not. Because Evil always finds a way."
Crossover - Familiar of Zero & Overlord

This one is just hilarious, and I say that as someone who doesn't usually like comedy. It manages to be funny with out being _dumb_.

Blue Social
On Illium, an asari private investigator stumbles upon a conspiracy. But digging deeper, there are hidden things that she didn't even know she didn't know. With her eyes wide open she walks into the heart of an ancient secret which isn't exactly a secret and which carries a hidden message from the past of her species. A space-noir take on Mass Effect.

Don't really need to say anything about this one that the summary doesn't say.

-----------

On to touhou fanfiction!

And What Alice Found There
Author: Damien Kellis PM
A tiny, monster-infested valley in rural Japan is no place for a Wonderland, even in 1884.

Is a very interesting story, about magical research and exploration, culture shock, adoptive children, and village politics then the usual touhou fights and parties. Still it is an exploration of an very delicate time in Gensokyo's history, when Japan was pulling one way and it decided to go another.

---------

I rather like the Author IcedFairy not so much for their longer pieces but for the shorts they write, here. Mostly silly fluff pieces, but very fun, and bring a smile to my face.

--------

Ephemeral Light of a Cherry-Coloured Innocent <- A very touhou-ish title. It translates to 'The Melancholy Awesomeness of Satsuki Rin'.

Silly but with some interesting world building and more serious issues too. Closest to the best parts of the plots of the games of the fanfictions I've read.

-----------

Bah. More later.

Estrecca

Validated User
The Fifth Act

Basically the only FFVII fanfic you ever need to read. Takes the otherwise exerable plot of Crisis Core and redeems the hell out of it.
Adding to the description, the Fifth Act is an astoundingly well done time travel story in which Cloud is transported from post-games times back to the pre-Meteor period. Unable to find a way back, he decides that the way to improve the future involves the murder of some people, including Sephiroth.

--------------------------

Now, for my own recommendation, Fairy Dance of Death is an interesting Sword Art Online fic that explores what happens if Kayaba Akihiko creates the world of Alfheim Online, instead of the floating castle Aincrad. This leaves his victims split into artificial racial factions that must compete against each other, because only three of the nine fairy tribes of Alfheim may escape the game world after clearing the game.

The author, Catsy, has some other noteworthy fics in the same fandom, including Man in the Middle, a long one-shot in which the government actually tries its best to break the victims of SAO out of the death-game, through the efforts of a group of hackers.

sun_tzu

Validated User
Dungeon Keeper Ami is my all-time favorite webfiction, and one of my all-time favorite stories.
It's a crossover between "Sailor Moon" (which needs no introduction) and the "Dungeon Keeper" series (games where you play a fantasy evil overlord). Sailor Mercury, the shy brainiac of the Sailor Senshi team, gets transported to the world of Dungeon Keeper, and forced by circumstances to become a keeper herself. What follows is a long and intense campaign as she struggles to find a way home, protect the world from other Keepers, and survives the relentless assaults of the forces of good (who are not exactly inclined to believe in keepers who aren't complete monsters)...all while trying her hardest to compromise her morals as little as possible.
Part of what makes it such a great story is that Mercury is friggin' brilliant, and approaches this situation like an engineer...and even then, the constant escalation makes sure she's stuck fighting uphill battles all the freaking time.

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. Instead of the abused kid of canon books, this version of Harry Potter was raised in a decent home. And is a child prodigy with very advanced scientific knowledge. OK, actually he's nothing like canon Harry, but if you can get past that, it's a great story. Funny, clever, and a long love letter to rationalism.
I find it interesting how the story gives Harry so many Mary-Sue traits, yet somehow manages not to get to the point where I'd call him one.

An Unusual Mission. It's a Batman/Wonder Woman shipping fic, which might not be your thing...But Adrian Tullberg is one of the funniest writers I know, and I never get tired of this story.

acksed

Validated User
I will second Dungeon Keeper Ami and Methods of Rationality.

There's currently a slew of Worm/Exalted crossovers over on Spacebattles, where various authors Exalt Taylor into an Outside Context Problem. Memoirs of a Human Flashlight shows the most promise, while She Who Skitters In Shadows is dark but manages to back up a little from the unremitting grimness of canon Worm. Endings Hued in Violet has a very satisfying opening chapter. None of them are finished and all of them are buried in speculation, but it's such a fitting crossover that I'm addicted to it.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20 is what happens when you drop a munchkin D&D character into canon Harry Potter. Milo is a wonderful creation - as someone else's character, to him it's perfectly sensible to assume that the world runs on narrative causality, that not having parents is natural and backstory is an afterthought, but to everyone else he's a conspiracy theorist... who happens to be right a large percentage of the time.

The Way of the Apartment Manager - a retired ninja is ordered to rent out one of her rooms for an ickle Naruto, and it changes her life.

The Dragon King's Temple - SG-1 breaks out of a Goual'd prison with the help of two unusually badass children.

Lighting Up The Dark - Naruto is smart and somewhat rational, and so are the rest of the ninja world. Try this if Methods of Rationality gets on your nerves.

This Platinum Crown - Epic saga of Rarity taking on hundreds of years of royal tradition by daring to marry (non-jerkoff) Prince Blueblood, and thus taking on all the honour-bound duellists who were competing for his hand. Has an entry tax of needing to read Blueblood's redemption in The Best Night Ever, but it's only four chapters.

And finally...

Sleeping with the Girls. Vol I: Fictional Reality and Vol II: Chaos Theory. An incisive deconstruction of the reality-hopping self-insert. If most S.I.s are Captain Kirk, this one is John Crichton slowly losing his mind.

Kelly Pedersen

Validated User
I'd recommend DrunkenGrognard's Grand Tour series of stories. They're crossover fics (the main universes involved are Ranma 1/2, Star Trek, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, and Sailor Moon, but several more get thrown in over the course of the series), but they're actually quite good, avoiding a lot of the pitfalls of most crossover fanfic I've seen. And the author posts here on rpg.net, so it's like supporting a local author, so to speak. :)

RedBeardJim

EXCELLENT AND ELEGANT
Stealing Harry is a massive (and sadly unfinished) AU that starts out with a fairly simple change -- "What if Sirius Black never went to Azkaban?" -- and goes from there. One of my favorite works of fiction (fan- or otherwise) ever. The first story looks at Harry's life from age eight until ten or so, as he encounters the strange pair of men who operate the bookshop in Little Whinging.

Top Bottom