• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fanfic] Recommended Fanfiction

Aaron Peori

Retired User
Methods of Rationality, for those curious as to the controversy, is not viewed kindly by many. It's basically the Sword of Truth for fanfics, with a protagonist who is Objectively Right and contains a lot of Take That's at the source material and so on and so forth.

------------
Epsilon

acksed

Validated User
Methods of Rationality, for those curious as to the controversy, is not viewed kindly by many. It's basically the Sword of Truth for fanfics, with a protagonist who is Objectively Right and contains a lot of Take That's at the source material and so on and so forth.

------------
Epsilon
More accurate to say that it's an author tract on the perils of not thinking, application of the scientific method and encouraging others to think for themselves.

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
More accurate to say that it's an author tract on the perils of not thinking, application of the scientific method and encouraging others to think for themselves.
That's one take on it sure.

Keeping on the Harry Potter theme;

Hellblazer: Hogwarts It's very much a shame this is a dead fic, as it takes the obvious cracky idea of sticking John Constantine in the Defense against the Dark Arts post and then runs gleefully with it for ten great chapters.

Underscore

Ablative personality
Validated User
Alright, I've got a few.

The Black Company in Middle Earth. Basically the only Black Company fanfic out there, but it makes up for it by being absolutely genius. Captures the feel and tone of the BC series perfectly and gives you a grunt's-eye view of the War of the Ring from the side of evil.

100 Things Crowley Would Do Before the World Ended. Starts off silly enough then almost imperceptibly ramps up the drama with the postponed war between Heaven and Hell looming in the background.

The Joinery. The War of the Five Kings is still coming, but in this world the players are in different places. ASoIaF AU fic where Eddard Stark becomes king instead of Robert Baratheon.

acksed

Validated User
100 Things Crowley Would Do Before the World Ended. Starts off silly enough then almost imperceptibly ramps up the drama with the postponed war between Heaven and Hell looming in the background.
This is quality, and not in the ironic way. I give it 5 out of 5 apocalypses. :)

*opens up trenchcoat* Got somethin' that might interest ya... *shows off brightly-coloured ponies*

Exit Through Canterlot: Octavia has trained and fought hard for her ability, her art. So when a group of mares ruin the Grand Galloping Gala, something snaps and she picks up a can of spray paint to forge a new kind of art.

Our First Steps: Earth pony technology. Unicorn ingenuity. Pegasus speed. All of these are needed when a group of lecturers and scientists come together to realise an impossible dream - to send a pony into orbit.

The Moonstone Cup: Twilight Sparkle is entered into the premier magical contest - The Moonstone Cup. An unabashed anime-style tournament arc; read this if you found Season 3's "Magic Duel" underwhelming.

Friendship is Optimal: An AI for the new Equestria Online game is created to run the virtual world and satisfy people's values through friendship and ponies - everyone's values. Warning: this will arouse strong feelings. Let's Play: Equestria Online is a sidestory from the player's perspective.

Arrow 18 Misson Logs: Lone Ranger: A manned probe was sent to investigate the star that orbited its planet, and it turned into first contact with the pony race.

Hail to the King: A banished Sombra merges with a dying human soul, creating havoc in the newly-returned Crystal Empire. Hilarious, accidental havoc.

Fallout Equestria: Murky Number Seven: When you're born a slave, are you meant to be free? Grim, brutal, expertly written and harrowing.

The Stars, The Seal and The Kraken: Something horrible has escaped from its seal... again. But this time it may not be so simple to tame. Cosmic horror comes to Equestria.

A Glint Of Light On Broken Glass: Luna is Princess Twilight's personal student... who sees dangers everywhere. So when Luna tries to warn the six princesses, no-one believes her. A fully realised and fascinating alternate universe.

On The Application Of Time And Motion Efficiency Studies To Initial Relationship Formation: Twilight invents Speed Dating. Rarity tries to avoid murder.

Harpflank and Sweets: Lyra and Bonbon are... Harpflank and Sweets! Charged with protecting the city! While the evil Lunar Empire plots, Metropony City will never be safe, except for... Harpflank and Sweets! MLP goes Saturday morning cartoon.

*is shot*

Pandora Caitiff

Goblin Princess
Validated User
It was never finished, but I really enjoyed Ma Vie et Roses by SKJAM. (scroll to the bottom for the links to the chapters). It was a Utena SI fic co-authored, with the protagonist being written by the one who wasn't familiar with the series. It avoids a lot of the tropes of the knowledgable SI hero, and its interesting to see how he reacts to characters and events.

Dungeon Keeper Ami is my all-time favorite webfiction, and one of my all-time favorite stories.
It's a crossover between "Sailor Moon" (which needs no introduction) and the "Dungeon Keeper" series (games where you play a fantasy evil overlord). Sailor Mercury, the shy brainiac of the Sailor Senshi team, gets transported to the world of Dungeon Keeper, and forced by circumstances to become a keeper herself. What follows is a long and intense campaign as she struggles to find a way home, protect the world from other Keepers, and survives the relentless assaults of the forces of good (who are not exactly inclined to believe in keepers who aren't complete monsters)...all while trying her hardest to compromise her morals as little as possible.
Part of what makes it such a great story is that Mercury is friggin' brilliant, and approaches this situation like an engineer...and even then, the constant escalation makes sure she's stuck fighting uphill battles all the freaking time.
Thank you. I'm reading it at the moment and loving it!

Kirayoshi

Mrs. Peel, we're needed.
Validated User
Ooh, can I play too?

Commentary by Adrian Tullberg. The Daily Show comments on the events of Civil War. And Deadpool beats up on Jason Jones. I'm not kidding. Almost as funny as an actual Daily Show segment.

Epistolary; the Fifty Years Before We Were Born by Maribor. A fairly lengthy Doctor Who fic following Amy and Rory's lives after "The Angels Take Manhattan". Amy contacts Bracewell (from "Victory of the Daleks") and the two become pen pals. Through their letters, letters to and from River Song (she still pops in to visit her folks) and diary entries, we see how Amy and Rory's lives together progress after their travels with the Doctor are over. We also get some glimpses into their pasts, especially Rory who recalls his 2000 years as the Last Centurion. Solid, well thought-out stuff. (One caveat: some passages reveal that prior to TATM, Amy, Rory and the Doctor had something of a polyamorous relationship. The writing doesn't go into detail on it but it's there.)

Deathless by Jeremy Harper. Alternate take on Joss Whedon's X-Men run. The X-Men(Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Emma Frost and Kitty Pryde) investigate a break-in at a museum displaying Russian antiquities, and discover that Colossus, once thought dead, has returned, but is now an implacable enemy. One of the best action-oriented fics I've read, with some great new villains based on Russian folklore, and some heavy emotions in play as the team has to fight one of their own, and at the same time try to save his soul.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

Validated User
I've seen other fanfic focused threads in this subforum, so I trust that there won't be any issues in regard to this.

This thread should be used for the posting of fanfic recommendations, hopefully with each post containing at least one recommendation. Links would be nice when possible and so would a brief explanation about why you think that others might find your recommendation interesting.

So, in order to get started, a suggestion of my own.

Stardust

This is a My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic/X-Com crossover, as well as one of the fanfics that has impressed me most in recent times.

X-Com, for those who don't know about it, is a videogame series in which a secret organization fights against hordes of extra-terrestrial invaders who seek to conquer Earth and use humanity for nefarious purposes. As a result, it is a fiendishly difficult crossover to do in a non-stupid way, yet so far the author has managed to do a frankly magnificent job of it.

In short, Twilight Sparkle is tricked into making a deal with Discord concerning the power of friendship and ends transported to a planet in which the way to greet non-humans is the dissection table. After a rather rocky start, however, Twilight manages to reach an accommodation of sorts with the X-Com organization. Interesting stuff ensues.
You fiend. My entire Thursday got sucked into this! :p

Only the sixth post and we're already getting controversial :p

------------
Epsilon
HPMOR isn't without issues, but...I disagree.
While it is very much an opinionated story, it's not like the character voicing the opinion is always right. Rational!Harry still gets egg on his face, makes mistakes, realizes he's a bit of a jerk, and boy howdy does he ever get manipulated by the villain (I will say no more for fear of spoilers).

Reki

Validated User
A lot of my favorites have been mentioned, but here's a couple I wanted to add.

Whom the Princesses Would Destroy..., a tale about the Canterlot Bureaucracy, and their panic when Twilight plans a visit to Celestia. Very amusing.

The Hallowed Halls of Fielding. This is a Daria AU, where Daria goes to Fielding instead of Lawndale High. Great, long story, but unfortunately most of it is only available on The Paperpusher's Message Board, which requires an account to read. The first few chapters are on Fanfiction.net (what I linked), so you can at least get a feel for it before going that far.

Top Bottom