• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fanfic] Recommended Fanfiction

Estrecca

Validated User
You fiend. My entire Thursday got sucked into this! :p
One is glad to be of service.

And while I am talking Asimov...

Foundations' Resolve

For starters, this is a rare find in that it is a fic set in Isaac Asimov's sci-fi Foundation series. Though it doesn't have it quite as bad as Black Company fans, the Foundation series does have precious little in the way of fanfic.

To follow, the quality of the writing is quite excellent, easily in the level of some published works. Next to no issues with grammar or spelling, good handling of description, action and dialogue.

To finish, this is a conclusion to the Foundation saga and a mostly satisfactory one, at that. It even goes so far as to incorporate the not particularly inspired non-Asimov novels of the second Seldon trilogy. This more than anything else is what left me in awe when I first encountered this fic some years ago.

BcAugust54

Validated User
Seconding Dragon King's Temple(she said she might write a sequel, so there's also that to look forward to.)

On the controversial side, there's always Embers By Vathara (Which I quite enjoy, but it is very AU.) Also by Vathara, there's Upon A Fiery Steed(Stargate/Gundam Wing crossover), and Ethan Rayne's Bad Day, which are rather more amusing.

In Rurouni Kenshin fanfic, there is of course, Frozen Moonlight(sadly dead, but worth a read), and Ayezur's two different AUs, Vaster then Empires and Inviticus(warning, dark, slavery, really graphic), and Caged (A Highlander crossover, but set in the Japanese internment camps during the 1940s).

For Magic Kaito/Detective Conan, there's Shades of Grey and Otherwhere, Neverwhen(an Echo Bazaar crossover.)

Underscore

Ablative personality
Validated User
*opens up trenchcoat* Got somethin' that might interest ya... *shows off brightly-coloured ponies*
Article 2. I've got high standards for Human in Equestria stories (ironic I know) but this is one of my favorites. The main draw for me is it explores not just the physical but also the psychological differences between humans and ponies: one's a highly social pacifistic herbivore, the other's a sociopathic apex predator. This fic lets their personalities bounce off each other without making the ponies perfect or the humans pure evil.

For starters, this is a rare find in that it is a fic set in Isaac Asimov's sci-fi Foundation series. Though it doesn't have it quite as bad as Black Company fans, the Foundation series does have precious little in the way of fanfic.
That was actually what got me started writing fanfiction. Basically, "Fuck it, I'll do it if no one else will".

XCOM: Second Contact. Mass Effect/XCOM crossover. The next time humans met aliens, they were ready for them.

No Reservations: Narnia. Anthony Bourdain goes to Narnia. Yes, really. Its a wildly bizarre premise that somehow works perfectly. Come for the Anthony/Reepicheep drinking contest, stay for the Marshwiggle cuisine.

Carpetbaggers. Another Narnia fic. The four Pevensie were given their thrones, now they'll have to earn their subjects' loyalty.

Saruman of Many Devices. Saruman's industrialization of Isengard takes a radical turn when he receives a little outside help.

The Measure of a Man. Lord of the Rings fic set in post-war Rohan. Nicely illustrates that even the winning side has to deal with loss.

kenichi-kun

Validated User
Ha, finally found it!

Justice League: The Spider - Ultimate Spider-Man's family is killed, is accidentally transported to the JLU cartoon universe, where he finds a purpose in life after some time. Interesting story, taken to some dark places, a big favorite of mine. Peter can come off as Mary Sue-ish, but I do think all the terrible things that happened to him in the Ultimate comic series provide a nice contrast to the JLU verse.

Drogo

Unrepentant Gamer
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I am going to mention something different from the last time I responded to a fanfiction recommendation thread:

"Finishing what you start"
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3588623/1/Finishing-what-you-start
Summary: " Having replaced a dying human child a long time ago, the demon known as Ranma was always famous for finishing what he started." Ranma moves into Sailor Moon territory pretty quick, but the enemy they fight....

Children of an Elder God
http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Stories/Cthulhu/index.html
An Evangelion Elseworlds.

Last edited:

Aaron Peori

Retired User
I am going to mention something different from the last time I responded to a fanfiction recommendation thread:

"Finishing what you start"
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3588623/1/Finishing-what-you-start
Summary: " Having replaced a dying human child a long time ago, the demon known as Ranma was always famous for finishing what he started." Ranma moves into Sailor Moon territory pretty quick, but the enemy they fight....
If you're going to recommend some Gabriel Blessing then at least mention Honor Thy Master, Debt of the Sword, Don't Look and Those Who Love Monsters. All are fantastic works.

Hill of Swords and In Flight are his most popular works, especially HoS which created whole hordes of imitators, but they are really subpar compared to the four listed above.

----------
Epsilon

Eric the .5b

It's all so esoteric
Validated User
A couple of Buffy fics:

The "Have Faith" series by Mediancat, which basically sets up Buffy continuity up to Faith's imprisonment as being an AU to a certain MTV series of the 90s. Which series is explained by the first installment of the first story April 10, 1997. It started off as a gag, but spiraled into a little epic. There's apparently been another story since I read through it, so I'll have to look into that...

"Here is Gone" by Terri Botta, which Spike, at the end of Season Six, phrases his wish a little differently, and gets a strange chance at redemption...as he and his new soul regain consciousness early in Season Five. I found it entertaining enough to make up some of the awfulness of having to watch season Six. :D

Last edited:

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
For Want Of A War, a FF Tactics fanfic that sells itself as a harem-style retelling of the game, but I don't really see that much. It's basically an AU where Balbanes didn't die, and so Ramza wasn't forced to go on the run. Instead, he's got to deal with politics. While still becoming a badass along the way. It's pretty good writing, although still ongoing (it recently updated, twice, but you can generally expect to believe it dead for the length between updates)

Also worth reading is Purity Amidst Madness by the same author, a Meliandoul/Ramza shipfic in which Ramza is all of the mary sue badass you probably turned him into the game

This Pendent Heart, a Princess Tutu continuation fic which is just awesome.

Top Bottom