• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fanfic] Recommended Fanfiction

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
[Star Wars] Double Agent Vader: A series of temporally disconnected one- and two-shots where Vader throws off his chains in secret and contacts the new Senator Leia Organa to feed her intel... at first. Then it grows into something much more.
That was great, thank you for sharing. Dang.

acksed

Validated User
[Batman/DC Comics] A Better Class Of Criminal

It's not often I come across a self-insert that starts at the middle of their career, or is a sympathetic villain, or slots themselves in with such skill it's like they were always there. It's even rarer that I find all three in one story; Bookworm pulls off this tricky balancing act with relative ease, proving to be a formidable member of Batman's Rogue's Gallery while demonstrating the drawbacks of his power.

Last edited:

acksed

Validated User
[Youjo Senki/Tanya the Evil] A Young Woman's Political Career

The war's over, Tanya's destitute, with not even a magical orb to her name. She scrapes together a bit of money to go out drinking... in a Germanian beer hall... at the same time as the Germanian Worker's Party is giving a speech. (Students of history may see where this is going.) Then, after a highly enjoyable bit of violence laying out Communists, Tanya sees a whole new path to the gravy train - politics!

And her chance of a cushy retirement goes downhill from there.

This is quintessential Tanya, ably written by jacobk, who has been around for a while and written some excellent fic. It spoils the end of the war to set up its AU, so reader beware.

mindstalk

Does the math.
Validated User
I've been reading Dungeon Keeper Ami. Slow at first, picks up. Could really use another editing pass but is readable. Really long, I'm like 300,000 words into 600,000+ words (based on small sample estimates of epub version pages). So, actually pretty readable given that I've been ripping through it, despite the various typos and word errors.

I like how the Light Gods are actually good and smart, while legitimately in conflict with Ami (they think she's taking unacceptable risks, she's confident in handling things or desperate to go home.)

You don't need to know anything about Dungeon Keeper; Ami doesn't either, and you learn what's relevant as she does. Don't think you need much about Sailor Moon, either; the story diverges quite early on and there's plenty of incluing of the essentials. I think the one thing not mentioned is that she canonically has an IQ of "300", i.e. she really is as smart as needed to pull of what she does. Helps to have a magical visor and computer, too, but you see those.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
I've been reading Dungeon Keeper Ami. Slow at first, picks up. Could really use another editing pass but is readable. Really long, I'm like 300,000 words into 600,000+ words (based on small sample estimates of epub version pages). So, actually pretty readable given that I've been ripping through it, despite the various typos and word errors.

I like how the Light Gods are actually good and smart, while legitimately in conflict with Ami (they think she's taking unacceptable risks, she's confident in handling things or desperate to go home.)

You don't need to know anything about Dungeon Keeper; Ami doesn't either, and you learn what's relevant as she does. Don't think you need much about Sailor Moon, either; the story diverges quite early on and there's plenty of incluing of the essentials. I think the one thing not mentioned is that she canonically has an IQ of "300", i.e. she really is as smart as needed to pull of what she does. Helps to have a magical visor and computer, too, but you see those.
Seconded on all points. The editing is frustrating but everything else more than makes up for it. And the conflicts, while they escalate, never get boring and never stop pushing Ami to her limits even as she gains power and learns new tricks.

The one thing I think is that it could do with some more character moments outside of crisis situations. Especially have some more focus on the shipping... BUT that said, it's understandable why it doesn't happen. That sort of thing implies downtime. And the one constant of the plot is that Ami is constantly in over her head for the simple reason that otherwise she'd rapidly become unstoppable.

Ephemeral_Dreamer

Validated User
[Youjo Senki/Tanya the Evil] A Young Woman's Political Career

The war's over, Tanya's destitute, with not even a magical orb to her name. She scrapes together a bit of money to go out drinking... in a Germanian beer hall... at the same time as the Germanian Worker's Party is giving a speech. (Students of history may see where this is going.) Then, after a highly enjoyable bit of violence laying out Communists, Tanya sees a whole new path to the gravy train - politics!

And her chance of a cushy retirement goes downhill from there.

This is quintessential Tanya, ably written by jacobk, who has been around for a while and written some excellent fic. It spoils the end of the war to set up its AU, so reader beware.
There's been a few fics with the premise of Tanya taking over NotGermany after the war. Of all of these I think this one captures the spirit of the show and Tanya's character the best^^

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
After a hiatus of several years, Inverarity has finished the fifth book in the Alexandra Quick series, and Alexandra Quick and the World Away is now being posted at a rate of two chapters a week.

For those who haven't heard of it, Alexandra Quick is an ambitious Harry Potter fanfiction that tells another multi-novel story of a different student, an American witch named Alexandra Quick as she attends Charmbridge Academy in the US. The spells and background elements are the same, but the characters are all new, and while Harry Potter was a series for children I think of Alexandra Quick as a series about children written for adults. For instance, morality is not black and white but shades of grey - even the closest equivalent of Voldemort is more of a well intentioned extremist, using terror and murder for a goal that's awfully sympathetic when you find out about it. And the protagonist herself is far from perfect, being often bullheaded and impulsive in a way that exacerbates, if not causes, many of the problems she faces.

Whereas the canon books often treat the wizards as amusing idiots, the Alexandra Quick books don't - the adult wizards are competent and have their own motivations, often clashing with Alexandra's, and the struggles can be a bit closer to home as well - one of Alexandra's friends is a African American muggleborn student, and the allusions aren't exactly subtle with how he's mistreated and disrespected not for his skin color, but because his parents weren't wizards.

And reading that it sounds like I'm saying the books are all grim grimdarkness, but that wasn't my intent - that's just how they differ from Harry Potter. The books are still a fun adventure about Alexandra finding out magic is real and going off on adventures, just without giving it such fantastical trappings like the Harry Potter books did. And it has some really incredible worldbuilding. I recommend it to anyone who's interested in that sort of adventure and isn't turned off by the idea of a less whimsical Harry Potter.

Top Bottom