Fanfiction crossovers that should be eye-bleedingly bad but are really good.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
You nkow the ones, where you read the title and the category ahnd blink while the nope.gif runs in your inner eye. Then you decide to try it to see how bad it is...and it's actually pretty good!

I'll start with the Inquisitor Carow series, a crossover where harry gets sent into the future and returns to Hogwarts a 297 year old Space Marine/inquisitor.

Remember what I said? Just try and parse the sheer stupidity of that synopsis.

But the author makes it work-- mainly by running with the gonzoness of both WH40K and Harry Potter and unabashedly having fun with it.

What are your suggestions?

Oh, and since it seemed to get some nice comments, I'll also plug my very first fanfiction-- a Talespin/SG-1 crossover :) (holy hell, that's over 12 years old.)

PTiKachu

Damaramu will regret this
Validated User
There was that Battletech/My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic crossover that was written entirely straight...and worked.

Bruwulf

Suspected Unicorn
Validated User
There's an epicly long (Sadly unfinished, but we're talking novel_s_ long) fanfic that's a mashup between H.P. Lovecraft, Evangelion (Ok so far...) and Ranma 1/2. It's also got Sailor Moon and Ah My Goddess and a couple others, but the first three are the primary ones. And it's really, really good. Sic Semper Morituri.

There's a My Little Pony / X-Com fic that's pretty good, too. It's not *great*, but considering the idea basically shouldn't work *at all*, it's surprisingly fun and readable. Stardust.

One of our own forum members has written a Lovecraft / My Little Pony fanfic (Sadly also unfinished) that's amazingly good. The Stars, The Seal, and the Kraken.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Existence is the Most Exciting Thing of All is an epic-length, ongoing His Dark Materials (aka Golden Compass series)/Welcome to Night Vale crossover that I follow devoutly. It doesn't just integrate the daemons aspect into Night Vale canon but uses the larger worldbuilding of the series extended into a modern setting. It follows the plot of the show in terms of some larger issues, but we get not just an altered Night Vale but an entire alternate world in place of our "real world" as well.

It goes here because most HDM crossovers tend to just be hamhanded recitations of what everyone's daemon looks like.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Friendship Contract. If you'd told me before I read this, that I would enjoy an MLP/Naruto crossover fic that actually gave Naruto a much better life in Konoha then in canon, and actually makes Sasuke a better person, I'd have been skeptical.

Spiders and Magic: Rise of Spider-Mane If you'd told me there was a Spider-Man/MLP crossover that involved Peter Parker/Twilight Sparkle shipping and a massive battle against a Chaos-powered Norman Osborn, I'd assumed you were joking.

Mass Effect 2 dlc the equestrian equation If you'd told me that there was a Mass Effect/MLP crossover that actually integrated the Ponies into the Mass Effect universe with a reasonably plausible explanation, I'd have asked what you were smoking and if I could have some.

IronChefZombie

Fuka-sannnnnnnnn!!
Validated User
You nkow the ones, where you read the title and the category ahnd blink while the nope.gif runs in your inner eye. Then you decide to try it to see how bad it is...and it's actually pretty good!

I'll start with the Inquisitor Carow series, a crossover where harry gets sent into the future and returns to Hogwarts a 297 year old Space Marine/inquisitor.
On that most holy day, Inquisitor Potter purged the den of heratics that was known as Hogworts

charlieluce

Still Pony
Validated User
There is no property that I have ever encountered that rivals Sonic The Hedgehog for sheer volume of awful fanfiction. And yet, the Friendship is Magic crossover Order From Chaos and its sequels are brilliant, not the least in the amount of worldbuilding that goes into the author's version of Equestria.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
On that most holy day, Inquisitor Potter purged the den of heratics that was known as Hogworts
Oh, it gets better hermione Granger's family play host to him during the Christmas Season. Hermione didn't exactly mention Harry's...changes:

A soft ding-dong echoed around the front hall just as Dan Granger was strolling across to his study to for a sneaky game of tetris on the old home computer. So this probably it, Hermione's young boyfriend had finally arrived and from the look of it a parent had accompanied him; Dan took in the way the figure on the other side of the glass door panel was blocking out the light. Looking forward to having a good natter with a fellow Hogwarts parent Dan opened the door a welcoming smile on his face.
He found himself almost nose to lower chest with a wall of black leather covered in braid and skull decorated brass buttons. A look down revealed enormous boots with steel toe caps beautifully engraved with skulls surrounded by florid acanthus leaves. His gaze travelled up, taking in the metal pauldrons which broadened the already wide
shoulders of the figure, till further up he made contact with the greenest eyes he'd ever seen in his life as well as the most predatory smile.
"This is the Granger residence?" the giant boomed his voice gravelly and impossibly deep.
Dan nodded mutely, his mind working furiously; the B-movies were right all along, the bondage Nazis from Mars really were trying to invade.
The gigantic apparition smirked down at him and held out one massive appendage, "Ah, good. Allow me to introduce myself; I am Allesandor Carrow."
Dan winced as his own hand was completely enclosed by the massive appendage and firmly shook. So this was Hermione's friend. He was going to have stern words with girl about being flexible with the truth.
As he invited the gigantic man in he noticed a police car travelling at a crawl past the end of the drive, the occupants peering intensely towards the house. It looked like going to be one of those days.

Simon Hogwood

Validated User
Alright, so the fic I'm thinking of starts off as a Back to the Future/Corpse Bride crossover. An odd combination, but not an inexplicable one (time travel is handy that way). A bit later we find American McGee's Alice (plus a few details from other Alice in Wonderland adaptations) added in, with an eye towards some Victor/Alice shipping. Then note that the whole thing takes place in a alternate, steampunky version of England that takes a lot of cues from Girl Genius with a vast number of cameos* sprinkled in with a glorious disregard for chronology. Oh, and Doc Brown hasn't actually got around to perfecting the Flux Capacitor yet.

And yet, somehow, such care in world-building is taken that each of these disparate pieces actually makes sense as presented in context, and the plot and writing are quite up to the task of supporting the same. Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you Secundus.

*Yes, including MLP.

Top Bottom