FASA Curse?

robboyle

FanPro US essentially shut down for two reasons. First there was the implosion of Fast Forward Entertainment. FFE was handling all of the fulfillment for FanPro US, which means that all of FanPro's income was funneled through it. The folks running FFE apparently had no idea how to keep their financial books in order. They experienced a burst of growth and hired multiple employees ... much of it with FanPro's money. When their house of cards finally collapsed, it took months to figure out exactly how much of FanPro's money they had spent, and the accounting was such a mess I don't think we'll ever know for sure. In any case, FanPro lost a significant amount of money, but managed to creep along in debt for a few more years.

The second was FanPro Germany. While separate companies, both FanPros essentially had the same owners. FanPro Germany was doing poorly financially, and so they propped themselves up by taking large amounts of stock from FanPro US for which they never paid. (FanPro US had taken over FASA's backstock too.) The owner also made some business decisions and deals that were good for FanPro Germany but damaging to FanPro US.

FanPro US might have recovered from the FFE debacle if FanPro Germany hadn't dragged it down. Combined, however, they effectively did the company in. Eventually, the staff at FanPro made an attempt to buy the company out, but the owner refused. So we all quit and went to Catalyst, which picked up the SR and BT licenses.

Having now worked with FASA, FanPro, and Catalyst, and also having dealt with Fast Forward and WizKids, I could write a book about the slimy, unethical, and bullshit business practices of certain business owners in this industry. I can point to certain people and point out specific decisions they have made that benefited their companies financially while screwing over the hardworking freelancers that produced the games they profited from.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's just this industry, I think it's capitalism in general. However, the game industry does have a problem with good-intentioned people who care a lot about games but know nothing about running a business. Or worse, it has ruthless business people transplanted from other areas who care nothing about the creative folks behind the games. So, freelancers beware.

Last edited:

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
If there is anything to this curse theory, and what I've heard about writers following the game through its different companies is true, then I would suspect that maybe one of these people who's been involved in every iteration of it is quite possibly to blame.

Dwight

Unregistered User
If there is anything to this curse theory, and what I've heard about writers following the game through its different companies is true, then I would suspect that maybe one of these people who's been involved in every iteration of it is quite possibly to blame.
I blame Bull.

cthulhu

Validated User
Unfortunately, I don't think it's just this industry, I think it's capitalism in general. However, the game industry does have a problem with good-intentioned people who care a lot about games but know nothing about running a business. Or worse, it has ruthless business people transplanted from other areas who care nothing about the creative folks behind the games. So, freelancers beware.
That's the story for almost anything where passionate people get involved - they want to do their stuff, and trust partners to take care of the boring stuff.

You see it with scientists who lose control of their ideas, musicians who lose millions to their managers, entrepreneurs who get outed from their companies.

Ialdabaoth

Banned
It's too bad the freelancers of Shadowrun can't just pool their resources directly, continue to make awesome sourcebooks, and then get paid for their efforts directly out of the book profits, without a publisher/holding company middleman.

Stahlseele

Retired User
They are supposed to be too dumb to screw you over. Bull is an exception.
Wether or not this is good or bad depends on wether or not he wants to help or screw someone over ^^

Top Bottom