IC [Fate Core] Raiders of the Rim: A Star Wars Story

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Bav

"The first three requests are understandable, and reasonable Cap. I share my companions curiosity however... what would these tasks involve us doing? And must they truly be done separately, or could we accomplish them together?" The Bimm forced himself not to look at Secles when he said that. He doubted the man was over the fact that Bav rode him like a mynock during the Zero G space jump. He didn't want to anger his sluissi friend further, but doubted he could accomplish any of the more... violent... tasks he was imagining all by himself.

OOC: I was letting Secles' question ride, but since we had some down time things weekend I figured I'd cosign.
 

pstjmack

Registered User
Validated User
Bav

"The first three requests are understandable, and reasonable Cap. I share my companions curiosity however... what would these tasks involve us doing? And must they truly be done separately, or could we accomplish them together?" The Bimm forced himself not to look at Secles when he said that. He doubted the man was over the fact that Bav rode him like a mynock during the Zero G space jump. He didn't want to anger his sluissi friend further, but doubted he could accomplish any of the more... violent... tasks he was imagining all by himself.

OOC: I was letting Secles' question ride, but since we had some down time things weekend I figured I'd cosign.
The old man's eyes twinkle as he contemplates the three of them. Besides, it's apparent that he hasn't ever seen a Bimm before, and finds Bav quite amusing.

"Each of your tasks will be chosen according to what fits you best, and what you can best accomplish. We will inform you on the next day watch, after you have rested. Meanwhile, my men will escort you to quarters where you may bathe, eat and refresh yourselves. Until tomorrow, once again, you are welcome among us, and we ask you to respect our ways."

The Cap withdraws into his sanctum, signalling that the audience is at an end. Your escort forms up around you, and leads you politely but insistently down the wide stair to the cargo deck itself and its bustling little community. Passers-by and loafers of half a dozen species, of every age and gender, pause to goggle at the newcomers, and the younglings especially marvel at the small, large-eyed Bimm. The bizarre shanty is full of rank and savoury smells, songs, chatter, and the clatter of workbenches and cooking ranges.

Finally, the escort stops outside a larger shack apparently made from the passenger compartment of an escape pod, draped over and tented with tapestries from some ancient Gran loom, and show their guests inside. Two deferential young Twi'leks step forward and bow politely.

"Here are your quarters," your guide declares. "Please wash and refresh yourselves. Your attendants will see to your needs. The Cap will call for you the next day-watch."

He withdraws, leading the rest of the escort away, save two troopers, who take up a guard position either side of the guest house. The Twi'leks come forward and ask meekly: "What do you desire, honoured Sirs?"

OOC: This is your rest and refresh stop. All Fate Points will be recharged come the next watch. Anything you want to roleplay out in the interim, such as discussing what comes next and scoping out the surroundings and the ship's curious ecology, go ahead. Otherwise we just skip to your next audience with the Cap.
 

pstjmack

Registered User
Validated User
The three of you pass the night in this curious pavilion, waited on by the two Twi'lek attendants. Water is obviously in short supply, as you're brought sand bowls, leaves and towels to clean yourself with. The food and drink, however, is surprisingly good; the Dreadnaughters clearly keep fish and smaller edible animals in their oxygen gardens as well as vegetables and fungi. They also make some kind of liquor - a fiery potent spirit drunk in small cups. The strange tribe operates something like a ship's traditional cycle of watches, and dims the lights after a while for sleep. The Twi'leks give excellent massages, and it's a relief to be out of your suits at last.

When the lights go up again the next "morning," you're shaken awake by the Twi'leks, who urge you to rise and dress. After morning ablutions, they provide you with robes that must have been out of style in the Old Republic, but which give you a certain antique dignity. Just as you complete your preparations, another honour guard arrives, this time more formal and martial, singing a marching song. For anyone with a sprinkling of linguistic or cultural knowledge, it sounds like a much-diluted version of an old Mandalorian war chant, confirming that the Dreadnaughters owe more than a little to the survivors of the Mandalorian Wars.

Sonorously intoning their war chant, bearing their makeshift spears and long blasters proudly, the escort falls into line either side of you and escorts you to the great stair up to the Cap's gallery. This time, the locals are out in force, crowding along your route to goggle at the strangers, especially Bav the unfamiliar little being. Children point and stare open-mouthed. Your escort parts the way for you and leads you ceremoniously up the stairs.

OOC: Situational aspects: Formal occasion, great expectations. Awed crowd, easily swayed.


This time, the Cap too is more formally arrayed, wearing the rags of half a dozen fleet commanders' uniforms from as many different cultures, with a huge ancient blaster on his belt. His counsellors, greybeards in heavy robes, stand either side of him. He steps forward, proud with the heritage of generations of Ring-dwellers.

"Honoured guests, as is our ancient rite and custom, I welcome you here to pass your trials, which will decide whether you can go forth from us to brave the Outside, or stay with us to swell our ranks. By our ancestral laws, each of you will face the trial most suited to them."

"My brave little creature." His eyes light on Bav, twinkling. "You are clearly a being of sharp wits and sharp eyes. For many a long year, we have puzzled to unlock the way to the Upper Decks. If we can solve the puzzle, our range and our goods will be much increased. We will lead you to the High Bulkhead, and there set you to fathom out the way."

"Old Sluissi, we know and we honour your kind," he continues, turning to Secles. "You are plainly a man of great parts when handling arms, especially the heaviest and strongest weapons. For you, I set a great task which will help us all. In the Great Divide that separates us from the Old Hull swims the mighty Summa-verminoth, which every Conjunction devours many of our finest warriors when we attempt the crossing. I task you to seek out the Summa-verminoth, and slay it."

"Finally, youngling," the Cap concludes, turning to Zino. "I hail you as a believer in the Force, and a follower of its ways. From time immemorial, we have passed down a prophecy from generation to generation, that finally one day a herald will come from the Outside to restore balance to the Force and lead us out among the stars once more. Our wise men maintain that the Force led you here, and sent you to us with a revelation. I task you, then, to open the treasure casket you brought with you, for it may hold the promised vessel of the Force."

With a stately gesture, he steps aside and indicates the stasis pod, which his retainers have carried up and placed on his podium. The honour guard and the counsellors step back, expectantly.

OOC: That's multiple Aspect invokes. Bav, they're pressing your Knowledge is Leverage button, as well as more than a dose of the Flamboyant Bimm Entrepreneur. Secles, it's definitely time to prove that there's No such thing as too much boom!, and that you're still a Crack Shot and Proud of It. And Zino, perhaps that Misplaced Faith in the Force isn't so misplaced after all.

Needless to say, I'd advise you to accept the invokes. You can try to upset the Dreadnaughters' plans for you, but you'd risk upsetting them, and lose a Fate point in the process. This way, at least you get an extra Fate point each to play with. The tasks may not be easy, but they won't be impossible. Plus, if you see or tag any situational aspects you can exploit, they're all yours.
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Bav [Stress 0 FP 3/2]

OOC: I'll accept the invoke on Knowledge is Leverage. He's interested to see what's in those upper decks and what he might obtain up there. Flamboyant Bimm Entrepreneur might come into play later, when it gets closer to leaving...


The trio had talked last night, but never got too close to specifics. Bav for one was certain the twi'lek women would report back anything they said. At least that's what I'd order if I was providing bathing assistants to strangers. That didn't stop him from making use of their services of course. He felt more relaxed than he has in weeks.

The other reason they didn't dig into meaty subjects was because there was still too much they didn't know. Any plans they made would be couched in so many variables they'd be all but unusable.

All in all, they knew they wanted to leave the Dreadnought sooner or later, which meant entertaining the idea of these 'trials' to keep their hosts happy and buy time to get the lay of the land. Who knows what we'll find that we can use to our advantage... I imagine Secles do things to these aging systems that the locals will take for the highest of magics...

"Cap, you honor us with these gifts. Access to the upper decks? Defeating a creature that has long preyed upon your people? Working to fulfill an ancient prophecy? You don't merely offer trials, you are entrusting us with the very future of the Dreadnoughters. We are truly humbled by your faith in us."

Bav allowed the chance for his companions to speak for themselves. He knew he was walking the fine line of taking the lead to help them all and giving them enough space so they didn't feel like he was taking advantage of them.

Once they had their chance to say their piece the Flamboyant Bimm continued. "Cap, I for one am ready to face my trial. Please have your people show me this High Bulkhead."

OOC:

Rapport CAA "The Bigger the Trial, the Bigger the Reward": 4dF+2 1 I was trying to plan for the future here, when we're successful. Unless it's contested I'd guess it's a failure.
 

pstjmack

Registered User
Validated User
Bav [Stress 0 FP 3/2]

OOC: I'll accept the invoke on Knowledge is Leverage. He's interested to see what's in those upper decks and what he might obtain up there. Flamboyant Bimm Entrepreneur might come into play later, when it gets closer to leaving...


The trio had talked last night, but never got too close to specifics. Bav for one was certain the twi'lek women would report back anything they said. At least that's what I'd order if I was providing bathing assistants to strangers. That didn't stop him from making use of their services of course. He felt more relaxed than he has in weeks.

The other reason they didn't dig into meaty subjects was because there was still too much they didn't know. Any plans they made would be couched in so many variables they'd be all but unusable.

All in all, they knew they wanted to leave the Dreadnought sooner or later, which meant entertaining the idea of these 'trials' to keep their hosts happy and buy time to get the lay of the land. Who knows what we'll find that we can use to our advantage... I imagine Secles do things to these aging systems that the locals will take for the highest of magics...

"Cap, you honor us with these gifts. Access to the upper decks? Defeating a creature that has long preyed upon your people? Working to fulfill an ancient prophecy? You don't merely offer trials, you are entrusting us with the very future of the Dreadnoughters. We are truly humbled by your faith in us."

Bav allowed the chance for his companions to speak for themselves. He knew he was walking the fine line of taking the lead to help them all and giving them enough space so they didn't feel like he was taking advantage of them.

Once they had their chance to say their piece the Flamboyant Bimm continued. "Cap, I for one am ready to face my trial. Please have your people show me this High Bulkhead."

OOC:

Rapport CAA "The Bigger the Trial, the Bigger the Reward": 4dF+2 1 I was trying to plan for the future here, when we're successful. Unless it's contested I'd guess it's a failure.
The Cap is far too courteous and conscious of his role to smirk or mock you, but there's the faintest disdainful amusement in his expression as he deflect's Bav's attempt to upstage his buddy. "Your eagerness does you credit, my small friend, but do let your comrade take his turn first."

He stands back and waves Zino towards the stasis pod. The rest of his entourage gaze at it with rapt awe.

OOC: The Cap already had Bav pegged as a smart talker. Sure, this won't make his opinion of you any worse...

S spectator , you're up. Note that opening a stasis pod normally isn't any great challenge in itself. The control sequence is automated, and usually all you have to do is press the big button.
 

doombuggy23339

Registered User
Validated User
Secles
4/3
"Old Sluissi, we know and we honour your kind," he continues, turning to Secles. "You are plainly a man of great parts when handling arms, especially the heaviest and strongest weapons. For you, I set a great task which will help us all. In the Great Divide that separates us from the Old Hull swims the mighty Summa-verminoth, which every Conjunction devours many of our finest warriors when we attempt the crossing. I task you to seek out the Summa-verminoth, and slay it."
The Sluissi grins, happy that his talents are being recognized. Finally, something I can just shoot! He thinks as turns to watch Zino approuch the pod. Wonder if they'll let me ask someone with more experience what the beast looks like? Regardless, some tweaking wouldn't go amiss...

Edit:

His mind still partly on how he plans to tweak his weapon, Secles turns to the Cap. "Might I ask what precisely the Summa-vermimoth's appearance and abilities are? Are there any here who have encountered it before that I might talk to? I should like to know as much as I can about the creature's habits and haunt before I set out to play it."
 
Last edited:

spectator

Registered
Validated User
Zino's eyes go wide when the Cap suggests he might be some kind of Force-prophet. That can't be right--can it? Zino is no Jedi... What could be in that pod? Or rather, who?

He makes and effort at composing himself and tentatively steps towards the pod. "Well, I can give it a shot," he says, moving slowly closer. Is it locked? How do stasis pods even work, anyway? I can't be that hard, surely they would design them to be used easily. Surely.

Zino's hands settle onto the pod and for a second he tries to sense... Something. Anything. The Force, maybe. It's hard to tell if it's the Force he feels or terror, though. What happens if this doesn't work? What happens if it's not who they're expecting? He looks one more time at Cap and then around the room, looking for something reassuring, finding nothing of the sort.

"Ok. Ok," he mutters, and focuses on the controls. Let's see... Open...

OOC: I'll take that compel! I have no idea if this is going to be a real task or just, like, ceremonially pressing a button (and Zino certainly doesn't know either, that uncertainty is entirely justified), so I'll wait on details to see about making a roll. If there is a roll to hit, if you let me know a target I can decide about Fate point spending and stuff.

Fate Points: 5 / Stress: Physical 1.2 Mental 1.2.3 KD 1.2 / Consequences: --
 

pstjmack

Registered User
Validated User
Every eye in the vast bay is focused on Zino and the pod. Fortunately, the controls are practically idiot-proof. There's a large glowing icon on the monitor screen marked "End Stasis." It responds immediately to Zino's touch, turns green, and the pod's internals set up a low hum. The telltales blink and flicker, readouts reach higher and higher values, and everything looks to be running smoothly. An expectant hum, perhaps some low, voiceless hymn, seems to echo against the deck plating overhead. True prophet or not, the place is filled with exactly the same reverential air you'd expect to find in a Jedi temple of old.

There's a hiss of escaping gas, an outrush of white steam from around the rim of the pod's lid, and the entire top surface of the pod rises up smoothly on automated servos. An awed sigh goes up from the assembled throng, and heads crane to peer through the rising steam at whatever's inside. A figure comes into view through the mist...

A big, square-faced, boyish human figure wearing only a simple spacer's tunic sits bolt upright in the pod, blinking and gazing about him bemusedly. "What the... where am I?" he asks, in impeccable, cut-glass Galactic Basic. "And what's with the costume parade?"

OOC: No roll needed, but you definitely get your Fate Point. Your Misplaced Faith in the Force aspect could be due a very strong and upsetting tug some time in the very near future, though. Like, when the Dreadnaughters discover the true character of the man you've just decanted...
 

Llayne

Random Player Guy
Validated User
Bav

Please tell me he's the heir to some King somewhere... or that he knows the coordinates of an unimaginable treasure. Anything that would make risking my neck for some random dude profitable...

The Flamboyant Bimm was unusually subdued... and a bit disappointed at who emerged from the pod.
 

pstjmack

Registered User
Validated User
Bav

Please tell me he's the heir to some King somewhere... or that he knows the coordinates of an unimaginable treasure. Anything that would make risking my neck for some random dude profitable...

The Flamboyant Bimm was unusually subdued... and a bit disappointed at who emerged from the pod.
The man's bleary eyes scan the crowd, single out Bav. "Ah, a Bimm," he declares. "At least with one of you people here, I know I'm somewhere halfway civilized."

There's an unthinking disdain in the way he says "you people" that suggests this man is one of those types who believes that pink hairless five-fingered mammals are the pinnacle of Creation. Nonetheless, he seems to have fixated on Bav as his one talisman of civilization in this barbaric refugee camp.

"I'm Kam Limmer, heir to the Third Board Seat of the House of Ororo Transportation," he explains. "My family are very rich. I can pay you very well to get me back to them. Now, where are we?"

A light goes on in Bav's well-stocked head. Ororo Transportation, one of the most important shipping lines in the sector, rumoured to be connected to the Tenloss Syndicate. If this boy was kidnapped and brought out here, that could explain a lot...
 
Top Bottom