• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fate Core v. Strands of Fate

furashgf

Validated User
I have two of the Strands of Fate books. Is there anyone out there who has Fate Core from the kickstarter that can describe the major +/- when compared?

Enlightened

Validated User
Strands of Fate has a default system for how to do "powers" like magic, super powers, etc. already decided.

In FATE Core, you decide how you want them to work.

The same for equipment. In Strands, the default pistol is:
Weapon Rating +4 with the Aspect Small

In FATE Core, there are no default mechanics for a pistol. A pistol is whatever you decide it to be.

Last edited:

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
I am in a similar boat, though in relation to FATE Accelerated. At 32 pages it seems like it may be a little too simple and I can't see how it will improve on Awesome Adventures for my purposes.

furashgf

Validated User
Does it give you enough meat to be workable? There's a "Jedi" thread somewhere here that talked about the person struggling with implementing it.

Nessalantha

Validated User
I don't know that I'd feel comfortable comparing them in great detail, given that Core is still in a beta state. I'd like to see the Extras write-up before I decide. Even then, they may be too different even as branches of the same basic game.

Strands is much crunchier and mechanical. It retains enough Fate to catch my attention and enough detail to easily build your own worlds/species/magic systems/superheroes without a great deal of adjustment to the mechanics. This is helpful to me, because I fail at mechanics.

Core has much more of an open narrative feel, to the point where it's best to define your own stunts, skills, and all of that. There are no lists of weapons and armor (though there are optional rules for such). It is strongly focused on telling a story and the PCs being awesome. One thing I plan to steal for other Fate games is the notion that when you fail a roll, you don't actually have to fail. You can succeed, but there's some kind of setback involved in that success. Like, you jump the gap between rooftops, but now you're dangling from the edge by your fingertips.

Honestly, though, for $10 to check out everything and get the PDFs when they're released, you could compare yourself, if you've got the money to spare. It's already well worth the price and the Kickstarter isn't even over yet.

Enlightened

Validated User
Does it give you enough meat to be workable? There's a "Jedi" thread somewhere here that talked about the person struggling with implementing it.
Well, there is definitely enough to work with. In my opinion, it's a matter of whether or not you enjoy doing the deciding-work yourself.

And it may be very counter intuitive, but sometimes having that level of choice can actually be -less- fun.

Here is an explanation of the phenomenon.

Bree-Yark

Banned
They're both toolbox games, so some comparison is possible, but beyond that they both use Fate dice, aspects, and fate points, that's where the similarities end. Core is a basic, straightforward system that gives you the universal feel without being pejorative generic, and it does so with a few fairly broad frameworks. Not much math or number crunching involved. Strands goes the opposite tack, making everything about balance and numbers, inflating an arguably already bloated system into a mechanical mess. That's my view at least, lots of people play and love Strands, and I'm not saying they're doing it wrong, but heavy mechanics tacked into a rules medium-light game is the wrong way to go, in my mind. Core or Accelerated all the way.

Enlightened

Validated User
They're both toolbox games, so some comparison is possible, but beyond that they both use Fate dice, aspects, and fate points, that's where the similarities end. Core is a basic, straightforward system that gives you the universal feel without being pejorative generic, and it does so with a few fairly broad frameworks. Not much math or number crunching involved. Strands goes the opposite tack, making everything about balance and numbers, inflating an arguably already bloated system into a mechanical mess. That's my view at least, lots of people play and love Strands, and I'm not saying they're doing it wrong, but heavy mechanics tacked into a rules medium-light game is the wrong way to go, in my mind. Core or Accelerated all the way.
It goes without saying, really, but we are all working from a different 'baseline'.

For me personally, Strands doesn't feel complicated whereas FATE Core (in its present Beta state) feels so....open? un-pre-decided? that working with it feels a bit like trying to grab smoke.

Different strokes for different blokes.

Last edited:

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
In FATE Core, there are no default mechanics for a pistol.
This isn't entirely accurate. There are default mechanics for a pistol: It's one of a number of things that justifies you using the Shooting skill.

I think it's more accurate to say that the default mechanics don't differentiate between a pistol and a rifle and any of the various items that provide the same justification for using the Shooting skill.

Enlightened

Validated User
This isn't entirely accurate. There are default mechanics for a pistol: It's one of a number of things that justifies you using the Shooting skill.

I think it's more accurate to say that the default mechanics don't differentiate between a pistol and a rifle and any of the various items that provide the same justification for using the Shooting skill.
Yes, that's a better way to phrase it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that, to date, the published versions of FATE to handle equipment like that as the default are FATE Core, SotC and Awesome Adventures. Strange Fate might too. I can't remember.

Starblazer Adventures
Legends of Anglerre
Dresden Files
Diasporia
Free Fate
Bulldogs!
Strands of Fate
....all have equipment mechanics in addition to letting you use Shooting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom