• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fate Core] Who's running/playing in a Fate Core game?

Orsino

Inveterate Layabout
Validated User
I think you're right on about the Aspects. The good thing is that you can probably treat them as a zero-sum entity. For example, I run DFRPG so my players all have 7 aspects. When I bring up the FATE Core conversion, I'll tell them they MAY reduce/combine down to 5 aspects, but if they want to keep 7, that's fine too, because they can be compelled just as easily as they can be invoked. Nothing's going to break.
Exactly. FATE Core has a basic rules set. But nowhere does it say you must have five aspects, or three or nineteen. Common sense may nineteen may be a little much, but if that's what you and your players like, rock it. I'm certainly going to give five a try, for the reasons I listed above, full in the knowledge that we can always add more if we want to.

Orsino

Inveterate Layabout
Validated User
In other news, a chat room comment gave me a fun idea for a low-tech fantasy game, involving warfare between the late Roman empire and barbarians, wherin both sides have trained dinosaurs.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Tonight was the first session of my group's Fate Core game. Those of you who're in the G+ community can read my more full account of it there.

We were converting from Strange Fate, where we'd made 6 Refresh characters. So we decided that a bit of a boost above the baseline would be necessary to make characters of similar competence. We ended up with 30 Skill points, a cap of +5, a column format, and 5 free Stunts. We're using the default Skill list for most stuff.

Some stuff we did:

Lore covers basic knowledge that tends to come from schooling. Knowledge of the supernatural requires a Stunt on Lore (or possibly another Skill, if appropriate) to be able to apply the Skill. Basically, supernatural knowledge is rare.

Lore does languages, but you can use a Stunt to glom those onto another Skill if you want. I did Rapport, since my character is a preacher. He knows languages from connecting to people.

Magical abilities are by and large their own unique Skill. You choose 3 of the 4 actions the Skill can do and define how those work exactly. For instance, our earth wizard can create advantages by physically manipulating the earth. The idea is that various spell casters will be fairly different by changing around when and how they can apply their powers.

The things we actually got to tonight -- other than doing char-gen stuff -- was pretty good. Having actions parsed into four categories really helps clarify what your intention is and what sorts of things you can accomplish. I especially like how Boosts want to pop up when you've done borderline on some actions and really well on others; it gives a feeling of momentum to things.

Thumbs up so far. Looking forward to next week.

ChaosEngines

Retired User
We made a conversion of a running campaign from a home-ruled derivative of Unisystem (some crossover with M:TAsc for the magic system) to Fate Core with something put on from SotC, went very well for the things not connected to magic.
Speaking of magic in our games being a crossover/homerules between the Witchcraft setting and Mage the Ascension(As per how the magic works) we had a thought time to convert it to Fate, we succeeds at last but the system must be tested a bit more, we're not sure on the mechanics (there is a Magery skill, Stunt based rotes, Spheres are another set of skills and there is a Mana Stress track too), the story (even on the magic side) is flowing much better than before though.
At last we dearly needs the Magic system and a more ample ruleset and clarifications on extras

kksimons

Validated User
I've been prepping a Naruto/Shonen setting to use with Fate Core and my game group in a few days; I whipped it up this morning but I'm not too confident in my Fate abilities, if anyone is curious or willing to take a look it'd be much appreciated! Check it out here

tonpa

Just Tonpa...
Validated User
Thinking about our campaign a bit more. The skill list could have a bit more Victorian feel, don't know how so I'm open to suggestion. Either new addition or re-naming the current ones.

An additional skill pyramid or tower for investigative abilities could also be included. I'm thinking about round six or more abilities that could cover most dimensions of the Investigative chase, conflict etc. For example; Academics, Scientific Study, Reasoning, Scene Investigation, Mystical Knowledge, Interview. perhaps something linked to Insight or Intuition... I would like these to be separate from the other skills as I want the characters to be Investigative whatever their character main theme. Maybe Occupation and Class Aspects to use for declarations.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
If I were going to do a side structure with just a few Skills to choose from, I'd probably want a column.

Because if there are 6ish Skills, that's a filled +3 high pyramid. Then you're just sort of stuck. With the same number of Skills you could do, say, a +4 high column, include 4 Skills, and have 2 Skills that each character was bad at. That's enough for niches where certain characters were the obvious choice, and where certain characters couldn't do a thing.

tonpa

Just Tonpa...
Validated User
In fact atm I think I will full on with Investigative abilities. Great pyramid filled with things like Anthropology, Art, Biology , Credit Rating, Linguistics, Medicine, Navigation, Occult, Oral History etc. Possibly their own free stunt that gives ability to use them on Adventure scenes, otherwise give them Overcome and Create Advantage options and let them bring an Advantage from Investigation scene to Adventure scene as and Resource, Plan, Theory etc.

Can be developed with their own milestones as general abilites can. Gives a big element to character creation, development and scene structure BUT I think we will get good structure and scenes out of it.

I mean:
Investigative Abilities
Great [+4] Anthropology,
Good [+3] Art, Biology ,
Fair [+2] Credit Rating, Linguistics,
Average [+1] Medicine, Navigation, Occult, Oral History
Stunt: Can use Art as Contacts with Artist Circles.

General Abilites
Great (+4) Medicine
Good (+3) Physique, Resources
Fair (+2) Athletics, Fighting, Rapport
Average (+1) Contacts, Intimidation, Will, Stealth

Cheers.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
That's a neat idea -- similar to stuff I've seen proposed (and have proposed myself!) about, like, splitting piloting or fencing or magic into a bunch of individual skills in their own pyramid, with the apex determined by a Pilot or Fencing or Magic skill.

So I might keep an Investigation skill, and also have a secondary pyramid of Investigation specialties. If the normal skill apex is Great, I'd come up with 10 such specialties, so a guy with Great Investigation can rate all of those specialties (one at +4, two at +3, etc.), whereas a guy with Fair Investigation could only rate three of them (one at +2, two at +1). You'd never roll your Investigation skill -- you'd roll those specialties instead. But your Investigation rating would tell you how good you can be with your specialties.

tonpa

Just Tonpa...
Validated User
Cool idea there Mike. I think the specialty pyramid could be used to highligh facet the setting focuses on; maritime adventure could have ship based specialties, musketeers have sword options etc. I prefer set height for our investigation side as the skills are quite focused and I like to have many showing on the sheet (I think I have mentioned before that to see things on the sheet promotes players to use those as options).

Cheers

Top Bottom