• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fate Grand Order Thread IV: Lies, Damn Lies, and Rate-Up

ESkemp

Validated User
She's come a long way from the Caster-style combo of ball-ball-ball-slower windup-ball (and am I looking forward to October). I apologize to anyone who's tired of reading hype about this, but I came into FGO without any previous experience with other Fate franchises, and built up most of my attachment to characters through gameplay. So, starter gold Servant who carried me through multiple Singularities + classier outfits + Persona 5 references + adorable, well-animated doggos = player who feels personally attacked by this content. This is pretty much how other people must have felt when they came to FGO to play with their favorite characters like Jeanne and then Jalter became someone you could roll for.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
She's come a long way from the Caster-style combo of ball-ball-ball-slower windup-ball (and am I looking forward to October). I apologize to anyone who's tired of reading hype about this, but I came into FGO without any previous experience with other Fate franchises, and built up most of my attachment to characters through gameplay. So, starter gold Servant who carried me through multiple Singularities + Persona 5 references + adorable, well-animated doggos = player who feels personally attacked by this content. This is pretty much how other people must have felt when they came to FGO to play with their favorite characters like Jeanne and then Jalter became someone you could roll for.
Not at all. I know how you feel. It was Mordred and Altera I connected with via Apocrypha and Extella respectively and who I wanted (even if Best Idiot Son took forever to come home) and I remain delighted when they show up and do stuff. (Even if I wish they'd give Altera something meatier in the story. Perhaps an Avenger version with Teardrop Phantom Ray instead of just Phantom Ray to befit her being the King of Destruction. Anyway.)

The game itself has won me over on characters I didn't even know existed in legends, like Raikou, or knew existed but had no special feelings on one way or another, like Musashi. Even Anne and Mary, who are both ends of the spectrum of character design I normally hate I've come around on through the strength of their writing and personalities.

Since my knowledge of history isn't terribly specific save in a few areas (and pretty American-centric, because American), new Servants I'd like to see typically revolve around people like Doc Holliday or Bass Reeves or Alvin York. (Alvin York would make an amazing ruler.)

ESkemp

Validated User
Not at all. I know how you feel. It was Mordred and Altera I connected with via Apocrypha and Extella respectively and who I wanted (even if Best Idiot Son took forever to come home) and I remain delighted when they show up and do stuff. (Even if I wish they'd give Altera something meatier in the story. Perhaps an Avenger version with Teardrop Phantom Ray instead of just Phantom Ray to befit her being the King of Destruction. Anyway.)
Yeah, I clicked best with Apocrypha when I was catching up with available anime. Astolfo, Fran, Karna, Mordred, Siegfried, Chiron: all great examples of "I like them in their original source material, I like them here, too." I walked out of UBW with probably Medea as my favorite interpretation of a Servant; good thing I didn't get my heart set on them doing a lot with her in FGO...

The game itself has won me over on characters I didn't even know existed in legends, like Raikou, or knew existed but had no special feelings on one way or another, like Musashi. Even Anne and Mary, who are both ends of the spectrum of character design I normally hate I've come around on through the strength of their writing and personalities.
A lot of the Japanese Servants (and all of the non-Fate Nasuverse) are obscure to me, but I've got enough of a broad exposure to history and especially myth that I recognize a decent number of Servants, and then find out how I have to adjust my expectations. So I have a lot of "why is Artemis an infatuated airhead?" moments that I gradually get over, mixed with "oh, that's a weirdly fun take" for Servants like Babbage. I think the best summation of my mixed-bag knowledge is that I recognized Benkei and immediately wondered why Yoshitsune wasn't in the game, but didn't recognize the Ushiwakamaru name. (Similarly, Iskandar.) But yeah, the game is pretty good at selling most Servants as characters you'd like to hang out with in some capacity, even if the capacity is stuff like "gradually convince Gorgon that maybe she doesn't want to eat you." I mean, post-CCC I actually liked Melt and Passionlip and I did not expect that to happen with a couple of characters whose elevator pitch is "Sakuraface + weird fetish or two".

(Also, you might want to check out the Samurai I-III movies starring Toshiro Mifune. They're fun, showcase Musashi's iconoclastic nature, and they cast a solid Kojiro.)

Since my knowledge of history isn't terribly specific save in a few areas (and pretty American-centric, because American), new Servants I'd like to see typically revolve around people like Doc Holliday or Bass Reeves or Alvin York. (Alvin York would make an amazing ruler.)
If they did an American Ruler, I'd also love it if they decided to interpret Emperor Norton I, but I'm not sure what they could do with his delusions that would compete with the somebody-was-on-drugs Presi-King incarnation of Thomas Edison.

My personal wishlist would include a couple of tasteful black Servants (something has to make up for Edgemiya ASAP); a couple more goons from Charlemagne's court like Roland, Turpin, or Marfisa; the odd literary character like Andre-Louis "Scaramouche" Moreau; and of course, Khutulun. Add the Mongolian wrestling princess with ten thousand horses and Quetzalcoatl & Astraea can start making a federation of it.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've got Summer Little on my Lancer Kiyohime, which should give a total Mag Wheel bonus of +3 -- not the max, but still pretty good if you can't find anyone better. I could technically MLB the Summer Little (one of the few benefits of having blown all my Quartz failing to get Nobu), but I haven't finished my Connacht Coin farming yet. I'll try to get on that tonight if I can and maybe finish up. I guess I should start playing again -- I want to at least have a few days to try the Challenge Quests.

The disappointment has kind of pushed me away from looking too much into recently released Servants. I've haven't even checked out Summer Okita's design yet because, well, I know I'm not going to get her, so...

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
f they did an American Ruler, I'd also love it if they decided to interpret Emperor Norton I, but I'm not sure what they could do with his delusions that would compete with the somebody-was-on-drugs Presi-King incarnation of Thomas Edison.

My personal wishlist would include a couple of tasteful black Servants (something has to make up for Edgemiya ASAP); a couple more goons from Charlemagne's court like Roland, Turpin, or Marfisa; the odd literary character like Andre-Louis "Scaramouche" Moreau; and of course, Khutulun. Add the Mongolian wrestling princess with ten thousand horses and Quetzalcoatl & Astraea can start making a federation of it.
Knowing the proclivity of the Nasuverse, I look forward to a secretly female Ruler Georgette Washington and his cabal of Masonic wizards sealing in some great Beast under DC, via the architecture of Foreigner Pierre L’Enfant.

Maybe toss in Dumas?
I'm actually surprised they dont have a playable Charlemagne yet.
I'd like to see what they could do with Don Quixote and summon windmill giants, myself. Bonus points if they end up looking like the Nether Gundam.

Callyn

Ghost
Validated User
Dumas exists in Fate. Not FGO, I think it’s strange fake. He is a white dude Caster. All of my hate.

Jondera

For SCIENCE!
Validated User
I have also stuck a Summer Little on my support lancer. It's not MLBed and it's Enkidu (so just a +2), but if they're the only one that pops up...

Solarn

Validated User
By the way, I finally found out the answer to "why is Artemis an infatuated airhead". It's because later Greek writers conflated her character with Selene, whose only trait is being hopelessly infatuated.

ESkemp

Validated User
Maybe toss in Dumas?
If Dumas as a white guy could get retconned, that'd be swell.
I'm actually surprised they dont have a playable Charlemagne yet.
Yeah, the design's right there, as well as the extra acknowledgement that the paladins were a bunch of rowdy goofs compared to the Round Table. (Yet, of course, effective.)
I'd like to see what they could do with Don Quixote and summon windmill giants, myself. Bonus points if they end up looking like the Nether Gundam.
I too have seen that episode of Gundam Build Fighters. But yes, that'd be pretty fun, especially because there's no reason you couldn't design the windmill giants to also be a new mob type. That does remind me, though, I always thought it'd be fun to enlist another grandpa with King Lear (Berserker), and I was a little disappointed that Shinjuku more or less came out and said Shakespearean Servants in their own right weren't likely to happen.

Top Bottom